PDA

View Full Version : Help w/New Install Bid

BrandonH
08-30-2004, 09:45 PM
I had a request for an estimate at the local gas station. The old one burnt to the ground and they just finished building the new one, so all there grounds are a mess. I typically deal only with maintenance and not landscaping, but I really need the work. I feel confident that with a little help from the folks at Lawnsite that I can do the job successfully.

They asked for just turf to be installed, but I think they really need some sort of landscaping in the front. I will more than like give them a bid for both and see what they say.

The first area that needs turf is in the back of the building. All the areas still have a good deal of trash such as busted up concrete that I will need to get out of there to make a good bed. The back area for turf is 2940sq ft. The next pic is where you see the back from the parking lot. I think there needs to be some sort of shrubs to sort of block on the parking lot. This area would be 30' long and more than like make it about 4 feet wide.

There are 3 small areas out front, and they only want 2 of them done. The middle one gets driven on when there is a traffic jam in the lot, so I think they need some sort of rocks there rather than leaving it dirt. That area is 375 sq ft.

The front corner where there sign is 992 sq ft. This is one of the areas I feel really needs some sort of bed rather than just turf.

The other corner is the smallest area being only 168sq ft.

I need as much help as possible from anyone that has experience with new installs. I have a tractor with a front end loader, box blade, 5' pto tiller, as well as a walk beihind tiller. What would be the process in installing the sod alone, BTW in our area the grass of choice is St. Augustine. I'm also open to any suggestions on what I could do with the smaller areas rather than just sodding them. I've never done a job like this before, but everyone had to start somewhere. Thanks for any help.

-Brandon

BrandonH
08-30-2004, 09:46 PM
Teh back bed w/shrubs would go here.

BrandonH
08-30-2004, 09:47 PM
Here's the middle area that I think needs rocks.

BrandonH
08-30-2004, 09:48 PM
This is the larger corner.

BrandonH
08-30-2004, 09:49 PM
This is the smaller areas only 168 sq ft.

qualitylandscaping
08-30-2004, 09:55 PM
damn... can't help ya on your bid but those prices are cheap!! I'm moving to Texas..

Gas- $1.69 in TX, $2.02 in NY
Cigs- $2.99 in TX, $4.89 in NY

BrandonH
08-30-2004, 10:50 PM
Quality,

Gas prices have gone down over the last month from about $1.89 to $1.69...there was a time where I just knew they would hit the $2 mark.

-Brandon

corey
08-30-2004, 11:40 PM
Brandon on jobs like that do exactly what you were thinking onthe bids give them two. but on the sod ex: sod per sq $4.00 charge sod price doubled to install, to start you need a three in base of lose fertile soil to work it into, once sod is layed you'll need a small roller to set in place. do all this while its dry install on wet mushy soil will cost you alot of time and headaches in repiars do to movement of the wet soil. not top dog but experienced in sod installs and landscape jobs . anymoer questions just shout.

BrandonH
08-30-2004, 11:58 PM
So what you're saying is charge twice what the sod cost me to install? If so how much do I charge for the soil I add? Also how imprtant is it for me to clean up all the debris that may be slightly below ground level? Can I just add the new soil and lay the sod? Sorry for sounding stupid, but this is all new to me. I just built a roller that is 4.5' wide and can be pulled behind my atv, I think it will work great for sod.

-Brandon

corey
08-31-2004, 12:19 AM
If it not an incredible amount of debris then put at least a three in min of fertile soil and till in well until lose and evenly distributed. on the roller just make sure your four wheeler doesn't press ruts into the new sod ground will be very soft at this point.

corey
08-31-2004, 12:22 AM
charge for soil cost plus try to figure out how many hours it will take you to apply the soil and add 15% for a safty net always remember bid it to make money, don't work for free. if they like what you have to offer then they will pay what you ask for.

absolutelawnman
08-31-2004, 12:26 AM
Watch the rocks getting into the street could be a hassle, as far as bidding an easy way to start is the ol materials * ie: 2000 in materials it would be 2k to install totalling 4k. Then keep track of how long everything took and you will have your own system down in the future.

BrandonH
08-31-2004, 10:38 AM
absolute,

Is there a way I could do the middle section w/rocks and prevent them from getting into the road? I see what you're talking about. Right now it's all dirt or mud, so people are just rutting it up bad. I thought putting something there would at least give it a cleaner look.

-Brandon

absolutelawnman
08-31-2004, 02:16 PM
personally i dont think rocks will look that good, but i have never liked them. If you want to use them you may try bigger rocks as a border/retainer. cut out and bury 2 inches or so. If you want to keep people off and sod then you could always stick a couple of boulders on the corners with Pampas grass flanking them. that will look good on each side and allow you to maintain the grass for extra money.

BrandonH
08-31-2004, 10:05 PM
Being new to this I wasn't sure how to organize the bid, so I decided to list the areas seperate and price accordingly. This way if they decide to not have it all done I may still have a shot at part of it. Here's what I finally came up with after crunching numbers for a day or more. These bids are for putting in sod only, no landscaping...I'm still working on that.

The corner where the sign is I bid $850, the small area $150 and the back area(the largest) $2,450. I also bid for the small bed that will go between the parking lot and the back. Total size is 4'x30' and I bid $425 for it. My grand total is $3,875.00, which includes everything from prep work to installation.

So what do you think of these prices?

-Brandon

absolutelawnman
09-01-2004, 12:22 AM
for how man square feet of sod and at what sod price per sq ft. I bid all sod at 10cents a sq foot install then i add in fert and dirt on top if neccassary. I then ask if they wanted it final graded and and have items 2" or larger removed and I charge $70 an hour for a 3 man crew for preperation other wise it is sod on top.