PDA

View Full Version : Liftgate/backsaver users ?

brian mon
08-30-2004, 10:15 PM
Well I finally got my gate assist made...thank you LS....have been looking and planing for a long time at all versions. I think mine will be safe, and very functional. Anywhy... my question is do those who have them leave there gate down on the job? Leaveing the spring extended that long will it affect anything? I finally built it because I had a sign made for the gate and I guess it would be good to leave up but it's just twice as many times I'll have to raise and lower the gate.
Sorry don't have a pic. no digi cam but I do think it would pass the tough LS critics.....lol

Thanks all

fcl01
08-30-2004, 11:16 PM
i leave mine down a lot. i probably should'nt though. the springs have gotten a little weaker but i got plenty of room to tighten them. only got a little money in it so its no big deal.

Andyinchville2
08-30-2004, 11:42 PM
I leave the gate down too despite having a big sign on the gate....I guess we do it because once the equpiment is off the trailer we are off and rolling.....I guess to a smaller extent it saves wear on the hinges and sibce the truchs have signs all around we aren't losing too much in the way of advertising...

FrankenScagMachines
08-31-2004, 12:18 AM
I have had mine on since spring of last year. I built it and it works great. i have had to do nothing to it since building it. I leave my gate down all the time at a job and the spring has not gotten any looser that i can tell. I can still flip the gate up with my toe just like day one, and catch it with my hand :)
My new 22' trailer I am putting dual springs on since it's gate is a foot longer and a foot wider. They are 90# springs, i used one 140# spring on the 6x12 trailer. It has the same feel to it as the 6x12 gate does :) My gate goes up and down probably about 32 times a week give or take a few (load/unload at home or if we have extra jobs or skip some due to dryness). some jobs take 10 minutes some take an hour, i have a couple places where i do two jobs in one stop and i'm there for an hour and a half. sometimes the gate stays down half a day at my house. Look at it this way- the springs i used are Wayne/Dalton garage door springs from Lowe's. In their intended application, garage doors, they are stretched when the door is closed/lowered. The doors spend most of their time closed, so the spring is stretched most of it's life. It's not gonna get hurt. Even if it did eventually weaken, which it must or they would not provide replacements, they're $8-15 each depending on the size so if i got at least a year out of one it's still nothing to me. I beleive my parents have to pay $15 that the insurance does not pay for each visit to the chiropractor. I spent about $15 building my spring lift on the 6x12 and i have a weak back. i have not been to the chiropractor since i put that spring on so it paid for itself immediately. of course i only went a few times before and not really due to the trailer gate, lol. but it's really nice to not have to heave that thing up and down all day long and at the end of a long tiring day. So leave it down! Plus, if you put it up and someone parked too close, not realizing you needed to get back into the trailer then you'd kinda be in a jam. Also on a busier street even with cones out i think it's kinda easier to tell that you are stopped and not just for a moment. Sometimes i've had someone pull up behind me when my gate was up and sit there for a couple minutes thinking i was stopped for traffic.... uh, no, i'm here to work! lol....

brian mon
08-31-2004, 07:54 AM
Thanks all.....

OK I'll leave it down.

Thanks Eric , you brought up some good points I hadn't thought about.