PDA

View Full Version : Oregon "Only One" Oil...

Up North
08-30-2004, 09:23 PM
Anyone use this 2-cycle oil? My dealer gave me a few packs to try out but I'm leary about it. It is the kind of mix that works for all ratio's. (supposedly)

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

Buck

CookTractor
08-30-2004, 09:34 PM
we sell it at our dealership and have had no complaints with it/ some people swear by it

GSL 23
08-30-2004, 10:22 PM
hi, i like it a lot less smoke but a littel pricey but worth it good luck

CookTractor
08-30-2004, 10:23 PM
we sell the one gallon mix packs for $1 a piece

rtyus
08-30-2004, 10:25 PM
I'm not familiar with that particular brand but as long as it's a premium oil you should not have a problem.

Any oil is good for any ratio as long the oil to gas mix is right. For instance, if you have a bottle of 50:1 that says to mix it with 2.5 gallons of gas and you need a ratio of 25:1 you would mix that size bottle with a gallon and a quart. Kinda simplified but you get the idea.

gl1200a
08-30-2004, 10:37 PM
Everyone now sells the bottles (or cans) of oil to mix that is good for all rations in one oil. I use the Echo brand and it works great. One premix gas can for everything.

Up North
08-31-2004, 08:33 PM
So if I mix this packet with one gallon I truly should be ready to go with my trimmer, blower, & chainsaw at 50:1, and my ice auger at 24:1?? (hope I don't need that yet for a couple months but you never know in the north country). :D

Buck

rtyus
08-31-2004, 09:18 PM
If it's a one-gallon size, 50:1 mix, then mixing it with one gallon would give you 50:1. If you need 24:1 then you would mix that size bottle with a little less than half a gallon.

beransfixitinc
08-31-2004, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by rtyus
If it's a one-gallon size, 50:1 mix, then mixing it with one gallon would give you 50:1. If you need 24:1 then you would mix that size bottle with a little less than half a gallon.

No, i think you are missing what everybody is talking about. If what I think everybody is talking about. It is a 2 cycle oil that you mix one time. That one mix setup covers all of the ratios, 24:1 ,50:1, 32:1, 16:1, etc. You mix like a bottle a gallon and it is supposed to have the properties and be able to run that mix in any unit, no matter what the mix ratio shows for the unit.

CookTractor
08-31-2004, 10:31 PM
yes mix the pack with one gallon of gas and it will run any ratio

Up North
08-31-2004, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by beransfixitinc
No, i think you are missing what everybody is talking about. If what I think everybody is talking about. It is a 2 cycle oil that you mix one time. That one mix setup covers all of the ratios, 24:1 ,50:1, 32:1, 16:1, etc. You mix like a bottle a gallon and it is supposed to have the properties and be able to run that mix in any unit, no matter what the mix ratio shows for the unit.

Beransfixitinc,
You are correct, that is what I'm talking about. They (Oregon in this case) claims one packet of the oil (1.8 oz) will take care of all ratio's a guy may need for his various equipment. I just wanted to check with some others to make sure before I try it and burn up a $300 piece of equipment.

Thanks guys!

Buck

beransfixitinc
09-01-2004, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by Up North
Beransfixitinc,
You are correct, that is what I'm talking about. They (Oregon in this case) claims one packet of the oil (1.8 oz) will take care of all ratio's a guy may need for his various equipment. I just wanted to check with some others to make sure before I try it and burn up a $300 piece of equipment.

Thanks guys!

Buck

Actually, what my oregon book is showing, is something called "Oregon Only One 2-cycle Engine Oil"

It shows a 12 oz bottle to mix 5 gallons of gas.

I believe retail is like $7.50 a bottle. This may sound like alot until you calculate the time saved from having to mix different ratios, the time and money saved from having to have different containters which have the different mixes, and the time and money saved in the rare case that a worker (or yourself) accidently pours the wrong mixed ratio into the wrong machine and burns it up.

After getting deeper into the book, you are right, there is a 1.8 oz "pouch" that you put to a gallon to take care of everything. It's list is like, $1.30.

Hmm.. as a shop, we may have to try this stuff out. It would save alot of time in our completed unit tests since nothing seems to use the same mix, we could just mix up a gallon and mark it instead of having to measure and mix small little amounts of gas each time.

Why don't we copy this thread to the Oregon forum and see what they have to say?

Up North
09-01-2004, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by beransfixitinc
Actually, what my oregon book is showing, is something called "Oregon Only One 2-cycle Engine Oil"

It shows a 12 oz bottle to mix 5 gallons of gas.

I believe retail is like $7.50 a bottle. This may sound like alot until you calculate the time saved from having to mix different ratios, the time and money saved from having to have different containters which have the different mixes, and the time and money saved in the rare case that a worker (or yourself) accidently pours the wrong mixed ratio into the wrong machine and burns it up.

After getting deeper into the book, you are right, there is a 1.8 oz "pouch" that you put to a gallon to take care of everything. It's list is like, $1.30.

Hmm.. as a shop, we may have to try this stuff out. It would save alot of time in our completed unit tests since nothing seems to use the same mix, we could just mix up a gallon and mark it instead of having to measure and mix small little amounts of gas each time.

Why don't we copy this thread to the Oregon forum and see what they have to say?

Yep that's the stuff Beran's. I have a few of the pouches that my dealer gave me. If you want to copy this over to the Oregon forum that's okay with me. I'll let you run with it, hope it works out from a user standpoint and maybe you can market it in your shop as well as using it. Thanks for the input.

Buck

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC
09-01-2004, 12:21 AM
I understand what the product claims to be able to do. However I dont see how a single 2 cycle oil can work for all ratios without it either running too rich or too lean. That said wouldnt you either burn up an engine or cause carbon build up problems? Personally I dont mind mixing different ratios. It doesnt take that long if you ask me.

Richard Martin
09-01-2004, 03:45 AM
Rather than use "Only One" at $7.50 per 5 gallon of gas get some Amsoil synthetic 2 stroke mix. It's under $3 per 5 gallons of gas. I have been using it for years and others here at Lawnsite use it religiously.

Do a search for Amsoil and see what others say about it.

imograss
09-01-2004, 07:01 AM
I use Opti 2 , works on basically the same principal, one mix for all 2 strokers. I use it in mr trimmeres, blowers and Lawnboy's.

rtyus
09-01-2004, 07:09 AM
Sorry I didn't understand. That's a new one on me. I hadn't heard about it.

dkarol
09-01-2004, 07:11 AM
We use it (one-mix-for-all) exclusively. I can't remember when we tried it the first time, but it was either late last fall or early last winter. The ONLY problem we have had was when the ratio was accidently mixed with too much of this oil. Still it didn't cause any real damage ... just had to add gas to make the mix correct. It is a synthetic oil and I guess its lubricating qualities are far superior to regular 2 cycle oil, therefore; the mix can be quite "thin" and still supply the necessary lubrication.

jerryrwm
09-01-2004, 07:58 AM
Someone is going to have to explain the thinking to this ol' bald-headed fat boy.

If you mix 1 gal with 1 gal you have a 1:1 ratio. If you mix 1 gal with 1/2 gal you have a 2:1 ratio. and so on. down to 1 gal mixed with 2.56 ounces is 50:1 ratio.

Now I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I know a 25:1 and a 50:1 are not the same damn thing. If you mix it at a 50:1 ratio and put it in a machine the needs a 25:1 it seems to me that mix has half the oil that is called for.

There must be some type of properties in the oil that make it like a multi-grade automotive oil (ie. 10W-30 or 20W-40).

Just trying to get things cleared up.

Jerry

walker-talker
09-01-2004, 08:56 AM
Yes, I use Opti-2 also. It take 1.33 oz per gallon and covers all ratios. Opti-2 and Amsoil seems to be the two most popular. I have been using it the last 3 or 4 years with no problems.

g overbey
09-01-2004, 09:07 AM
I have used Amsol 2 cycle mixed at 80 to1 for all of my 2 cycles for years with no problems. My supplier quit handling it and I am trying Opti-2 now. I can't notice any difference in performance so I guess I'll use it since it is esier to find.

Up North
09-01-2004, 11:50 AM
I'll mix up my next batch of gas with this "Only One" from Oregon and post back how it works. Still seems odd just like the one guy said, but I have seen other threads about guys using the Amsoil & Opti-2 exclusively, I assume the Oregon product is basicly the same.

Buck