PDA

View Full Version : Honda Commercial 21"

joed
08-30-2004, 09:45 PM
A local dealer has a Honda Commercial 21" mower for sale at a good price. I tried it out and found it to be slow in comparison to my two cycle Suzuki Toro proline and much more bulkier. The hydro transmission makes the mower work the same as the toro transmission does. Is there a way to speed this unit up? How does it function in comparison to the other models?

Ryan Lightning
08-30-2004, 09:59 PM
Right under the control lever adjust the cable that runs to the hydro pump, you can turn it faster than you want to mow.

dkeisala
08-30-2004, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by Ryan Lightning
Right under the control lever adjust the cable that runs to the hydro pump, you can turn it faster than you want to mow. Yep - they set them too slow but very easier to speed it up.

alpine692003
08-30-2004, 10:13 PM
I have a HONDA COMMERCIAL 216..

Could'nt be happier!!

wakesetter2001
08-30-2004, 10:44 PM
They are great mowers have used them for at least 5 years now. They always run good never had any major problems at all.
They cut wet grass well and bag very good also. Like was posted before just make the ajustment under the control and you will have to run to keep up.

Fareway Lawncare
08-31-2004, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by joed
and much more bulkier.

You got That Right Joe....Wait until you spend a Day Turning & Pulling that Monster Backwards on Small Lots....You'll be Wishing you had your Suzuki/Proline !

dishboy
08-31-2004, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by Fareway Lawncare
You got That Right Joe....Wait until you spend a Day Turning & Pulling that Monster Backwards on Small Lots....You'll be Wishing you had your Suzuki/Proline !

Maybe so Fareway, I love the Suzuki Proline but on a rainy day I'll take the Honda with a lift kit.

By the way the ground speed on that Honda if you set the R's up to 3600 and adjust the cable out is a slow run.

HazellLawnCare
08-31-2004, 10:59 PM
I bought a Toro Proline and I'm not that impressed. I wish Deere still made their JX85's they were hard to beat. I think I'm going to try and get my Deere dealer to pick up Honda, they've got to be better than the Toro.

dkeisala
08-31-2004, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by HazellLawnCare
I bought a Toro Proline and I'm not that impressed. I wish Deere still made their JX85's they were hard to beat. I think I'm going to try and get my Deere dealer to pick up Honda, they've got to be better than the Toro. I so agree. JD had stupid, simply little problems with the JX85 and rather than address them, they decided to stop production.

There HAS to to a market for a commercial 21 that performs as well as the JX85 did but doesn't way a ton like the HRC216.

specialtylc
09-01-2004, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by Ryan Lightning
Right under the control lever adjust the cable that runs to the hydro pump, you can turn it faster than you want to mow.
If the mower is too slow then you need to adjust the govener up to about 3500 to 3600 rpm. If you try to over speed the hydro trans by adjusting the cable out of factory specs you will burn up the hydro pump in the trans. With the trans set at normal and engine rpm at 3500 it will go at 5MPH. And thats a pretty quick push mower.

dkeisala
09-01-2004, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by specialtylc
If the mower is too slow then you need to adjust the govener up to about 3500 to 3600 rpm. If you try to over speed the hydro trans by adjusting the cable out of factory specs you will burn up the hydro pump in the trans. With the trans set at normal and engine rpm at 3500 it will go at 5MPH. And thats a pretty quick push mower. Another useful tidbit of information that I didn't now about and never considered. Thanks!

JimLewis
09-01-2004, 08:40 PM
We use all Honda Commercial 21" Hydros here. I will agree with all of the positive things everyone's said above. But the biggest thing you should be concerned with up North is how the mower performs on wet grass. And Hondas do better in that arena than any other commercial 21" out there.

txlawnking
09-01-2004, 08:47 PM
Just currious Jim, have ya'll used a Commercial Snapper 21"er?? I only discharge with mine and it runs through tall, wet grass wide open with impunity, and leaves an excellent cut behind.. I've used one of the older Honda's (non commercial, but it looked identical to the newer Hydro Hondas) and it did do very well. I'm just wondering if the reson I don't have any probs is because I don't ever bag..For the record, I really liked the old honda I used.. It was bullet proof..

JimLewis
09-01-2004, 09:33 PM
(non commercial, but it looked identical to the newer Hydro Hondas) Yes, a few years back we used one for a while. Was a great machine. We even had the high-lift blade installed on it to help with bagging (we always bag around these wet parts). And the mower still didn't bag wet grass half as well as the Hondas. (non commercial, but it looked identical to the newer Hydro Hondas) Haha! Don't kid yourself. They might look similar but there's a big difference.

alpine692003
09-01-2004, 09:48 PM
How often do you replace your Honda commercial 216 Jimlewis?

JimLewis
09-01-2004, 10:05 PM
replace a Honda? I think maybe we've replaced 1 or 2 of them over the last 6 years. That's out of 8 or so mowers we run.

We really just run them forever. I've never seen an engine just die from overuse. Only time I ever had an engine go out was when an employee ran it dry with oil. Another time, I had an employee run over a stump that was hidden in some tall grass and bent the cranshaft. Othewise, they don't go out.

Biggest thing that ever happens is a tranny goes bad (after about 2-4 years of hard use) and even then it's just best to replace it and keep using it, IMO.

Fareway Lawncare
09-01-2004, 10:32 PM
Jim L., Why don't you break down & purchase a couple 36"TracerHP's w/mulch kits?!?...each one will replace on employee & 2/Honda 21"'s.....not to mention collecting Clippings....I used to use the Honda com. & they are Too Dang Heavy in the Tight Spots & Small Lots where I use the Suzuki/Prolines....Also couldn't Mulch Well....

dishboy
09-01-2004, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by Fareway Lawncare
Jim L., Why don't you break down & purchase a couple 36"TracerHP's w/mulch kits?!?...each one will replace on employee & 2/Honda 21"'s.....not to mention collecting Clippings....I used to use the Honda com. & they are Too Dang Heavy in the Tight Spots & Small Lots where I use the Suzuki/Prolines....Also couldn't Mulch Well....

Good idea when it's dry, but on postage stamp lawns in the rain the Honda is the ticket. I spent three years in Oregon and a Honda with a lift kit is unstoppable in the rain and on a 2500 sq ft lawn is faster when you factor in deck scraping a 36in and cleaning up the sidewalks trailer and anything else it gets near.

Fareway Lawncare
09-02-2004, 12:03 AM
No offence DP but any 21"...be it Toro...Honda...Whatever are Toys when compared to the Mulching Power in Wet of TracerHP's....You'd have to Triple cut or Bag a Lawn the Tracers can Handle...

Deck Scraping?!?! Get a KwikJack...Simple as Pie...Love my 21"'s But Not the Honda's.....

alpine692003
09-02-2004, 12:07 AM
well, its the area you are in.. I can't fit anything more then a 21" mower on my properties!!