PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

MudslinginFX4
08-30-2004, 11:37 PM
Talked to a customer several times, one of those PITA payers. Last Wednesday was the final time I will call him, I told him to leave me a check on Friday when I cut the grass or it wasn't getting cut. He said no problem; he would leave a check under the grill on the back porch. Well Friday rolls around, we go out to cut his yard, the first thing I do (even before we start to unload the equipment) is go to the back to get the check. It wasn't there (not surprising). I cross his name out of the schedule and proceed to the next yard. Today, three days later I get a call from him asking me why I didn't cut his lawn. I proceeded by asking him why he didn't leave a check, and he replies that he did, exactly where we looked. I don't believe him at all, I'm sure he is lying. By this time I am really steamed up, I told him I will be sending out another invoice with the updated balance (from the past three weeks, along with last months late balance) and it is to be paid in full before he gets his lawn cut again. He agreed to pay in full again and he asked for the balance and said he would leave a check on the porch tomorrow for me to come pick up and to cut the lawn. I told him I would. Here is the deal, I'm going over there tomorrow to pick up the check, but I have no intentions in cutting the lawn. I am dropping all of his services because I am tired of dealing with people like him wasting my time. What would you do? Would you drop him or continue to cut his lawn? I make really good money on that property but It just isn't worth the hassle to me.

HOLLYWOOD6973
08-30-2004, 11:40 PM
drop him and don't look back.

firststarkid
08-30-2004, 11:42 PM
one of two situations pick up check and drop him. or keep him and tell him from now one there will be a 25% late charge for any payment that are mor then a certyain number of days behind. Thats what i do. I dont have that many problems like that . I used to have the same problem like you did until i did that.

jbell113
08-30-2004, 11:55 PM
I would have him prepay from now on.

fcl01
08-30-2004, 11:58 PM
drop him. i finally figured out what "emotional distress" is worth.
its on tv all the time. people get 1 mil. because their cat got run over(or some other B.S.) they hyperventilate and worry a little bit and sue the person who squashed the fleabag. so unless i can make a million, pizz on em, it aint worth worrying. drop his azz and find a better one.
just my useless $0.02

dkeisala
08-31-2004, 12:01 AM
In my experience, people that pay slow once always pay slow. Just like the scorpian, it's in their nature. You have to decide to either put up with the fact that this guy doesn't respect the fact that you have expenses/bills to pay and continue cutting his lawn or decide the hassle isn't worth it and let him jerk someone else around.

HighGrass
08-31-2004, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by jbell113

Agreed. It really depends on how bad you need him. It's easy for us to armchair quarterback but when it comes down to it, what will you think at the end of the year? Willyou miss the money or not? That's what I'm looking at right now.

My advice, pay in advance and keep him if he's not too much of a PITA>

chuckers
08-31-2004, 12:22 AM
i would run run far away... or i guess you can drive.... but i would drop him he is going to be nothing but problems

HOOLIE
08-31-2004, 12:26 AM
If you told him you would cut it, I'd go ahead and do it one last time. If you decide to keep him, just flat out tell him that due to his payment history you have no choice but to put him on the "pre-pay plan" Take it or leave it.

Since you agreed to mow one last time, its the professional thing to do and honor that.

printer88
08-31-2004, 12:31 AM

I agree also.If he prepays there should not be a problem.Unless it's out of your way to go there and he did'nt leave a check.If you can easily drop by and there is a check...then mow away.If I went one more time and there was no check then I would not ever go back.

impactlandscaping
08-31-2004, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by fcl01
drop him. i finally figured out what "emotional distress" is worth.
its on tv all the time. people get 1 mil. because their cat got run over(or some other B.S.) they hyperventilate and worry a little bit and sue the person who squashed the fleabag. so unless i can make a million, pizz on em, it aint worth worrying. drop his azz and find a better one.
just my useless $0.02

==============================================
In my experience, people that pay slow once always pay slow. Just like the scorpian, it's in their nature. You have to decide to either put up with the fact that this guy doesn't respect the fact that you have expenses/bills to pay and continue cutting his lawn or decide the hassle isn't worth it and let him jerk someone else around.
==============================================

I agree with these guys. I bet you still have no check tomorrow either, so let everyone know how it turns out tomorrow night. Ask him if he pays his mortgage or credit card bills routinely late...bet not...

qualitylandscaping
08-31-2004, 12:37 AM

That's what I would do..

bobbygedd
08-31-2004, 12:53 AM
3-1 says you have no check tommorow. this is why i don't play games, people that get you into that "chase your tail" situation cost you money, and headaches. the first time he was late i would have called. after that, no more phone contact, either a face to face confrontation, or a police report

cantoo
08-31-2004, 12:54 AM
Go pick up the check and drive away, when he calls tell him you did cut the lawn it must have just grown back real fast.

Mikes Lawn Landscape
08-31-2004, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by ECM LAWN
It just isn't worth the hassle to me.

There is your answer !