PDA

View Full Version : Pros and Cons to Rye Grass

Firstclasslawn
08-30-2004, 11:42 PM
I am just interested in hearing what everyone has to say about dropping rye grass down in the winter on customers yards, I am sure that you guys have some pros and cons so lets hear them, Thanks again

dkeisala
08-31-2004, 12:07 AM
Perrenial rye is the predominate grass in our cool season climate with bluegrass and fescue taking up the slack. Makes for a beautiful lawn in these parts.

FrankenScagMachines
08-31-2004, 12:08 AM
don't know how Rye is down there, but up here i hate it. it's real nice looking but man it's a pain to cut. it doesn't cut clean very well or very easy. you have to get your mower tweaked just right to get it to cut real nice like it should. once you do that, it's a good grass LOL. it's stringy and sometimes thinner so it's harder to cut. you get stragglers/stringers and sometimes streaks and stuff. real pain. I think i finally got the Ferris setup to cut it good though.
i guess it's a whole different ballpark down there though.

grasssin
08-31-2004, 12:23 AM
Once it comes in you can stipe it great, also more cutting which means more money for you.

Mikes Lawn Landscape
08-31-2004, 12:29 AM
Pro- You'll make a little money installing it

Con- Your customers will be pissed next May or sooner.:angry:

Pecker
08-31-2004, 12:40 AM
Why will the customers be pissed by May?

Mikes Lawn Landscape
08-31-2004, 12:52 AM
Originally posted by ******
Why will the customers be pissed by May?

3 reasons:

1.Improper installation
2.Improper maintenance
3.Improper transition technique

Most guys around DFW do not know how to manage Rye in Bermuda. If your gonna sell a product and service I think you should know how to do it.

Ryan Lightning
08-31-2004, 01:13 AM
Mike can youn tell us how you do it?

Firstclasslawn
08-31-2004, 01:29 AM
seriously Mike explain how to manage it please, Help us first seasoners out

KenH
08-31-2004, 08:48 AM
Thats all I use in CT. A mix called Tri Rye. Cant tell the difference in a KB lawn, and a bit hardier and forgiving.

Firstclasslawn
08-31-2004, 01:32 PM
so someone explain the proper way to install rye grass and maintain it since mike doesnt want to .

mowerman90
08-31-2004, 04:08 PM
Here in Central FL we sometimes put it down over Floratam turf around late October or early November when it starts to cool down. It looks beautiful all winter and kind of fades away in the spring as the thermometer hits the mid 80's. If you let it grow without proper cutting (letting it go more than 2 weeks between cuts) it'll be real gooey mowing and make a mess. The trick is regular mowing at 2 week or less intervals.

Blessed 1
08-31-2004, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by Mikes Lawn Landscape
3 reasons:

1.Improper installation
2.Improper maintenance
3.Improper transition technique

Most guys around DFW do not know how to manage Rye in Bermuda. If your gonna sell a product and service I think you should know how to do it.

I need to know more about the transition technique. I planted it last year and had the most beautiful yard all winter but during the transition my summer grass took a beating! When I fertilized in the spring it looked like the rye came back with a vengence. I still have gaps or holes in my centipede that the rye left behind. I want to know what I did wrong.

KenH
08-31-2004, 05:06 PM
OK....Are you guys talking about winter rye?? Or the perennial rye for lawns????

DSIM
08-31-2004, 05:34 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but to make the spring transition with p. rye you have to scalp the turf to make sure the rye burns out around April OR the rye will continue to grow with the warm-season grass and inhibit from spreading.

Firstclasslawn
08-31-2004, 05:37 PM
I am needing to know about the perrenial Rye

Blessed 1
08-31-2004, 05:46 PM
How about the winter rye?

DSIM
08-31-2004, 05:53 PM
perennial rye is winter rye to us in the south

Firstclasslawn
08-31-2004, 08:28 PM
ok well Thats what I need to know about, How to maintain it and what to do the next coming summer ?

txlawnking
08-31-2004, 09:09 PM
Tobi, I know that what FSM said about the stuff is accurate.. The stuff is a PAIN to cut, especially if it get's outta control.. While I can't honestly tell you How to manage it, I can tell you Mike is at least correct about not "messin' " with it.. We over seeded a horse paddock with the "perrenial rye " at my Parents old place back in La. IF it isn't cut VERY frequently during the heavy growth.. (fall to winter) it would bog a Frickin' 50hp mower...

ed2hess
08-31-2004, 09:46 PM
In central Texas we strip the grass down to dirt in late Sept. We plant the perennial rye with a starter fert. We usually cut off the water for two weeks before stripping it down. We then flood it with water to get rye started. In about two weeks it will fill in nicely. After that mow weekly and mow low and bag. Fertilize monthly and watch for diseases. Most rye gets rust and must be sprayed. Most commerical wants rye and that gives us about 45 cuts per year.

txlawnking
08-31-2004, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by ed2hess
In central Texas we strip the grass down to dirt in late Sept. We plant the perennial rye with a starter fert. We usually cut off the water for two weeks before stripping it down. We then flood it with water to get rye started. In about two weeks it will fill in nicely. After that mow weekly and mow low and bag. Fertilize monthly and watch for diseases. Most rye gets rust and must be sprayed. Most commerical wants rye and that gives us about 45 cuts per year.

Awesome post man, you know your stuff, and I definately learned something today.. Thanks

Mikes Lawn Landscape
08-31-2004, 11:21 PM
The proper technique for the DFW area for overseeding Bermuda with rye is................................

1. Scalp the lawn in Mid October (Remove Clippings)
2. Apply 10lbs per 1000 of ANNUAL Rye
3. Fert with starter fert
4. Water 3 Times a day for 7 days
5 Cut back watering to 2 times a week after 7 days
6. Mow it weekly at 2" to 2.5" max
7. Fert it monthly until mid January
8. Quit watering it in mid Febuary
9. After risk of last frost about Mid March here Scalp it
10. Scalp it again a week later
11. Start watering for Bermuda and apply a High nitrogen fert
12. Maintain weekly cuts at 1.5" to 2" max
13. Your ANNUAL rye should die out by mid April to early May depending on wheather.

Don't use Perrenial Rye it takes too long to transition back to Bermuda.

You will have to make some decisions based on weather conditions but the above is a good guideline.

Don't take advise from the Northern Guys their Rye is not our Rye. Northern guys goal is to keep it alive our goal is to kill it as soon as possible.

There you go.

txlawnking
08-31-2004, 11:32 PM
Another VERY informative post.. Thanks Mike, I love to learn. Too bad that probly won't work on the coast down here in St. Augustine..Or will It??

Mikes Lawn Landscape
08-31-2004, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by txlawnking
Another VERY informative post.. Thanks Mike, I love to learn. Too bad that probly won't work on the coast down here in St. Augustine..Or will It??

I have never overseeded St Aug I wouldn't recomend it maybe some of the other guys have. I wouldn't know how to transition it or how to establish it in St Aug

txlawnking
08-31-2004, 11:38 PM
Well seeing as how I have never seen any one try locally, it's likely safe to say it probly doesn't work too well down here.. Still I dig the education man, Gracias

Firstclasslawn
09-01-2004, 12:09 AM
Actually last year I seeded a few yards with Rye grass taht Had st augustine and it worked very well, so try it bro, it appeared to be the same to me as seeding bermuda?

txlawnking
09-01-2004, 12:31 AM
Tobi, I might try that on my own property, But I'm concerned that the extreme heat/humidity of the Gulf coast region may kill off the Rye, as sometimes down here we have a spell of 80-90 degree heat in the middle of December.. Go figure..Do any others have any experience overseeding the Rye on St.Aug lawns?? I may try it for the same reason as you, Tobi.. To make some extra $$$

DALMlawn&landscaping
09-01-2004, 12:59 AM
yeah, i dont like brown crispy winter season st. augustine either, i'd like to perk it up this winter. maybe this first season, i'll try it for the hell of it in my back yard. it already looks bad, so it can't hurt. damn 3 labs have torn it to dirt and patches of st. agustine and bermuda, might as well try it.

any sugestions on what ferts?

i'm in san antonio, not as humid as brazoria, but way more humid than DFW. does this make a difference?

lawnking, if it works here, it'll possibly work in your neck of the gulf coast, we get those hot spells as well.

i'll do some research... hell, i'm taking horticulture and turf grass college courses, i'll ask the professor tomorrow.

Firstclasslawn
09-01-2004, 01:22 PM
As long as you throw the ol fertilizer down on it and your customers water every oncce in a blue moon such as once a week then I assure you that there shouldnt be a problem at all, if any of you pros out there can tell me different then speak up :0)

J&J Lawn Care
09-01-2004, 06:09 PM
Hey Mike what kind of rye should we use I use double eagle @ 10lbs per 1000 and use the starter fert when i put it out and fert every month and if the rust comes out just add more fert but it grows so slow after the weather cools off you only have to mow once every 2 weeks even with the extra fert and then middle of March scalp it down and it will burn up for the most part. As far as cutting it has anyone down here in tx tryed the meg-mows. Thinking of trying them but its hard to turn loose of the $$$$$$.