PDA

View Full Version : smelly lawn from swiming pool

smellylawn
08-31-2004, 02:18 AM
To all the experts,

I need some help! I had recently taken down my doe boy swimming pool after it had gotten all filled with algae. I drained the water right on the lawn. Donít worry the lawn is filled with weeds...not much to talk about in that category. Ever since I have done this, a smell is coming from my yard. It smells worse than a dairy farm in the heat of a summer. What can I do to get rid of this awful smell?????????????????

Please any suggestions will help my neighborhood and me.

impactlandscaping
08-31-2004, 06:56 AM
Do you have a septic tank / drain field in that area of the yard??

Grassmechanic
08-31-2004, 07:30 AM
the algae is decomposing. It'll go away after a few days.

KenH
08-31-2004, 07:45 AM
Yeah, my first thought was you flooded your septic.

F6Hawk
08-31-2004, 10:33 AM
I believe it is not the algae, but the wet grass under & around the edge of the pool. It smells kinda like the bent & trampled grass at a state fair or similar.

Yeah, it is slightly obnoxious, but goes away in a week or two, unless it rains and keeps things wet. Same thing happend to our yard last year when I threw away the pool my wife ruined my grass with.

smellylawn
08-31-2004, 11:50 AM
Thanks all for responding. Yes I believe there is an old septic tank in my back yard but not sure where. That has not been hooked up in years, we are on a main now. I thought the same that the smell would go away once the grass died. Its been a few weeks now. If the septic tank did get filled...would you suggest getting it drained? Or is there something i can do to cover up the smell. Lime?

geogunn
08-31-2004, 02:07 PM
it doesn't help you now but you should have used chemicals instead of dumping the pool....

GEO

bayoulawn
08-31-2004, 06:22 PM
it is the dead wet grass underneath. I know cause it use to happen to me every time i move our pool. IT STINKS BAD TOO!

dvmcmrhp52
08-31-2004, 06:32 PM
As has been mentioned it is most likely the area under and around the pool site.
Constant moisture makes for funky critters growing......................

It'll soon disipate.

GrassFearsMe
08-31-2004, 10:44 PM
You could lime it.