PDA

View Full Version : Dallis Grass control

donal
08-31-2004, 09:28 AM
Anybody got any options for killing Dallis grass in both cool season turf and Bermuda. Ive used MSMA, but what other recommendations do people have?

Enviro Green
08-31-2004, 10:55 PM
Well, you could try roundup....not much else out there

PicturePerfect
09-02-2004, 11:51 AM
I just talked to a professor at VaTech who tried Revolver in an experiment. He got mixed results. He was going to do more research. Maybe a combination with MSMA or repeat apps.

ed2hess
09-02-2004, 05:27 PM
MSMA works at rate of 1 oz. gal and use back pack. Keep water off the area for two days. Temperatures need to be high for it to work. A second spray is always necessary about 10 days later to get full kill. Use a sticker with MSMA to make it stick better. If you aren't getting results increase to higher concentration but it can knock back the bermuda.

Turfdoctor
09-09-2004, 12:47 AM
MSMA full rate, followed by Revolver 1/2 rate in ten days looks promising. MSMA alone is a joke!!! Looks like you nuked it after two apps, but it will be in that same spot next year. There will be a new turf chemical supposedly to be labeled in late 05. that has shown some promise. They are testing the ag version right now in some trials in TN and KY.. The ag chemical is known as Callisto. It turns Johnsongrass and Dallisgrass White like bleach. Whether or not it is taking them out or just bleaching them will be determined next summer when they recheck the plots. It also turned the bermuda and tall fescue white, but did not seem to wax either of those. ENVOY seems to be the best spot killer for both Johnsongrass and Dallisgrass I have tried. It barbecues all it touches though. Fusilade seems to do decent with 2 apps 10 days apart. But who has time for two apps??? Hope this helps. Turfmd

airtractrdrivr
09-11-2004, 01:21 AM
Some testing is going on with two different Corn herbicides, Beacon and Accent. My extension agent says that if all goes well, Accent will be the first to be labeled, but it won't be for some time, probably a couple of years. We've been doing the two apps with MSMA first, and Revolver 8 to 10 days later, and have had good results so far. But, as was stated before, it will be back next year, same spot.

greenerpastures
09-14-2004, 10:12 AM
Beacon, Accent have been around for 20 years in corn production--so I don't expect either to be the magic potion for dallisgrass. Callisto may have some promise, because it is a new chemistry. Revolver is"Option" corn herbicide that has been relabeled for turf. My own tests show that is is mediocre at best on dallisgrass--better for unwanted fescue or rye. Regardless, if you look solely at economics, nothing comes close to msma on blanket sprays despite all of its drawbacks. There is a huge ready market for a material that will give a one-shot kill on dallisgrass spot sprays without turf damage --but I haven't found it yet.

I do alot of renovations, and large acreage msma sprays. Removal of dallisgrass is a multi-year process since there is usually a large reserve of seed source in the soil that seems to escape most pre-m apps.