PDA

View Full Version : looking at buying another truck...

fga
08-31-2004, 10:57 AM
I was looking at a buddy of mine's truck. i've bought 2 of his trucks so far over the years. This one is (90?) 91 GMC 4wd 1500 extended cab pick up w/ full size bed. I'm going to buy it probably for about $6000.
now before i get ripped on the price by you guys... i know the truck is great because i see it all the time, and am great friends with the owner. it has a brand new, bought it at the end of last year, plow ($3400). and the engine went last year (November), so replaced it with a brand new engine with warranty (atleast $3000). and the truck looks awesome, the paint is beautiful, has chrome bed protectors, matching cap, etc. I really need the extened cab.

what do you think, would you spend that much in this situation? I would like to get a pic of it, so you can see how nice it is, but if i pulled up and started taking pics... someone might call the cops on me.;)

Grassmechanic
08-31-2004, 12:44 PM
1/2 ton trucks aren't beefy enough in the front end to take the beating that snow plowing does to them (axles, hubs, frames, etc.).

CamLand
08-31-2004, 05:26 PM
Mine seem to hold up without a problem

87 dodge 1/2 ton Meyer system (original) over 400,000 miles and still running strong...

txlawnking
08-31-2004, 07:02 PM
Adam, six G's... NO WAY.. even if it's mint.. That's just my oppioion.. Around here you can get a 96' z71 with a Vortec for that kinda change.. It's just too much.. IF it was mint, I may go 4 g's.. But it'd have to be MINT.. I'd shop around.. Also, for my needs at least, unless I used it to drive around and give estimates, I really wouldn't want a 1/2 ton either..

Grassmechanic
08-31-2004, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by CamLand
Mine seem to hold up without a problem

87 dodge 1/2 ton Meyer system (original) over 400,000 miles and still running strong... You're comparing apples to oranges. 80's dodges were much tougher than 90's chevy's, to which I was referring to.

fga
09-01-2004, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by txlawnking
Adam, six G's... NO WAY.. even if it's mint.. That's just my oppioion.. Around here you can get a 96' z71 with a Vortec for that kinda change.. It's just too much.. IF it was mint, I may go 4 g's.. But it'd have to be MINT.. I'd shop around.. Also, for my needs at least, unless I used it to drive around and give estimates, I really wouldn't want a 1/2 ton either.. he's basically looking to get the money for the plow and the engine, but not even that cuz they came way over 6 g's. but i hear you about that kind of money for a 90-91. do you think the plow would increase the value at all? and the new engine?

fga
09-01-2004, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by Grassmechanic
1/2 ton trucks aren't beefy enough in the front end to take the beating that snow plowing does to them (axles, hubs, frames, etc.). i'm not a big time plow guy, and not looking to be. I have 3 small lots, averaging 6 car spot each i think. and i don't want any more, i've turned down accounts just recently. do you think it would still be toomuch, even if i hit the lots a few times instead of one big push at the end. they're not far from me, i try to hit them every few inches...... i like playing in the snow when the trucks are running good, so i don't mind the extra trips.

Grassmechanic
09-01-2004, 07:40 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by fga
i'm not a big time plow guy, and not looking to be. I have 3 small lots, averaging 6 car spot each i think. and i don't want any more, i've turned down accounts just recently. do you think it would still be toomuch, even if i hit the lots a few times instead of one big push at the end. they're not far from me, i try to hit them every few inches...... i like playing in the snow when the trucks are running good, so i don't mind the extra trips. [/QUOTE.
For a homeowner to plow his own drive, a 1/2 ton may be ok, but for the guy that is plowing to make money, a solid front axle is a necessity. The problems will arise when you get one of them 12"+ snowstorms and everyone and their brother is waving $20 bills at you to "just make a couple of passes for me, buddy" and you end up hitting something like a curb or manhole cover that is under the snow. Then, the repairs to those cheap CV joints will take your "easy" money, and then some. But, if you still have your heart set on the 1/2 ton, make sure you pay special attention to the front end.

Randy Scott
09-01-2004, 10:29 AM
In the scope of things, no, it isn't worth 6g. You have a point though, in knowing the truck, knowing the owner, and previous purchases. With all those factors, and the new plow and new motor, it probably is worth it. At least you know what you are getting. As you asked, "would we spend that much in THIS situation"? Most likely, yes.

fga
09-01-2004, 12:50 PM
thanks guys for the opinions. You're right about the front end, but i like the truck so much, was plannng on using it as my personal truck on the side. I know they sell after market front kits, maybe i could look into an upgrade. thanks.