PDA

View Full Version : guys showing up late...

fga
08-31-2004, 12:05 PM
today, my guy showed up over an hour late. he's supposed to be here by 8:30, showed after 9:30. I sent him home, cuz i was alittle frustrated. Would you have did the same, or started working from there, despite the fact you kind of gave up on the day. he is a good worker, and hardly ever does this... was i too hard? i still gave him $5 for lunch cuz i think these guys depend on you to eat...

Lawn-Scapes
08-31-2004, 12:11 PM
Did he have a reason? Does it happen often?

You can still get a lunch in NY for $5? :) Now I'm craving a knish and a hotdog :D

John Gamba
08-31-2004, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by fga
today, my guy showed up over an hour late. he's supposed to be here by 8:30, showed after 9:30. I sent him home, cuz i was alittle frustrated. Would you have did the same, or started working from there, despite the fact you kind of gave up on the day. he is a good worker, and hardly ever does this... was i too hard? i still gave him $5 for lunch cuz i think these guys depend on you to eat...

You did fine. You taught him a good lesson. Did you tell him to call next time?
John

fga
08-31-2004, 12:15 PM
i would say about once ever 2 weeks... maybe. he was sniffling and saying something about his nose.... but i've won some oscars in my lifetime:rolleyes:

$5 =

1) 4 hotdogs and a soda
2) chicken parm hero and soda
3) 3 slices of pizza and soda

then there's always the fast food dollar menu mix and match

i did tell him to call next time......

gramps
08-31-2004, 01:42 PM
What did you do. Go back to bed?

Gravely_Man
08-31-2004, 01:57 PM
Hopefully they will learn their lesson and be ontime from now on. That is bad when you can't find good help.

Gravely_Man

ElephantNest
08-31-2004, 02:28 PM
My guy showed up 25 minutes late two weeks ago. Last straw, as he had done it twice before. Told him to go home. I've been back to solo ever since, and only spend about an hour extra each day without him. Good riddance!

fga
08-31-2004, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by gramps
What did you do. Go back to bed? I wish.. there's always something that has to get done that fills in every free minute of the day...

fga
08-31-2004, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by ElephantNest
My guy showed up 25 minutes late two weeks ago. Last straw, as he had done it twice before. Told him to go home. I've been back to solo ever since, and only spend about an hour extra each day without him. Good riddance! i would love to go totally solo, but i'm now on the borderline of needing to hire another guy, a second worker. I wish i could get the numbers to line up to become solo.

jug head
08-31-2004, 03:13 PM
Make him layer under the mower deck scraping crud for an extra hour at quitting time--nothing like hard azz work before it's time to go home to set the mood-- He will have the rest of the evening to think of what happened when he was late--lol

bobbygedd
08-31-2004, 04:41 PM
fga i am sorry, i disagree with you on this one. finding a guy who can weedwack, trim shrubbery (properly) , use an edger and mower, do a nice job, and not cut his fingers off, all for around $10 an hour, knowing damn well by dec he's out of a job for 4 months, is a very, very tough thing to do. by sending him home, did you not make what you could have today? my amigo shows up 15-20 min early, every day. uses all my equipment like he was born with it in his hands, is very respectful. he shows up late like once every 2 weeks. i don't even mention it. i say thank you at the end of each workday, and again when i hand him his check.

fga
08-31-2004, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by bobbygedd
fga i am sorry, i disagree with you on this one. finding a guy who can weedwack, trim shrubbery (properly) , use an edger and mower, do a nice job, and not cut his fingers off, all for around $10 an hour, knowing damn well by dec he's out of a job for 4 months, is a very, very tough thing to do. by sending him home, did you not make what you could have today? my amigo shows up 15-20 min early, every day. uses all my equipment like he was born with it in his hands, is very respectful. he shows up late like once every 2 weeks. i don't even mention it. i say thank you at the end of each workday, and again when i hand him his check. It wasn't as much to punish him, it was more like in the hour waiting around, i changed my plans for the day, which didn't include him. i felt alittle bad after, but i did still supply him with lunch money. I had 2 cleanups to do. I called and left messages after waiting for him, that i would be unable to do them today, that i will see them tomorrow. I always treat this guy good, always say thank you also, that's just me, you know me.
but no ofcourse i didn't make the money i would've today if we had worked, i didn't work today. I'll just work saturday instead, no big deal, otherwise i would've started 10:00 if need be. love having 2 open days if needed:)
just for the record, i drive this guy to his door step alot instead of the bus, ands always throw him extra money. he gets coffee from my house every morning, sometimes a cup cake...:angel: this guy loves working for me......

Oldtimer
08-31-2004, 07:43 PM
If you can replace your guy with equipment then do it. The cost to hire a worker for one week will make the payment on a lot of equipment.

If a worker is a must have, then learn Spanish.

Oldtimer

Turf Medic
08-31-2004, 08:12 PM
Kind of like smacking the dog for going on the floor and then handing it a biscuit on the way out the door. Doesn't make much sense, send him home and give him $5 for lunch. If the guy doesn't have enough money for lunch on days he doesn't work one of two problems IMO, 1 you don't pay a fair wage, 2 he is irresponsible. I would have climbed in his a$$, tell him first and last warning, late again, he won't have to worry about being on time. I would have then started the day and worked an hour later or start the next day an hour earlier and still have your weekend. Sounds like you got more punishment than he did :D he got the day off, free lunch, and gets to make up the hours on the weekend with a probably another free lunch. You sat around feeling like you had done him wrong and get to work the weekend and dole out some more money for lunch. One thing to remember when people are late is sometime sh** happens, and usually your sh** is not as important as your employees sh**. Just because he comes in for coffee and cupcakes, gets free lunch and rides, he will still think of you as the employer, not his friend.

Mdirrigation
08-31-2004, 08:14 PM
We roll out at 8 am. We wait for no one , unless they call and are no more than 10 minutes late .

Oldtimer
08-31-2004, 09:27 PM
Does the worker guy have enough money for cigarettes and beer?

Oldtimer

Precision
08-31-2004, 11:05 PM
Turf Medic has it right. Tough is the only way to be. If not they will backslide like there is no tomorrow.

Oldtimer too. Can't buy decent shoes, can't find time to wash the shirt you provide, can't get to work on time. BUT knows exactly when quitting time is, always has money for beer, cigs, and weed. Can't afford lunch, but always buys at Mcdonalds instead of packing a sandwich.

They are where they are because of themselves. Like most of us they can improve themselves or not.

txlawnking
08-31-2004, 11:15 PM
If he's got a record of Tardieness ( and I believe you said about every other week, right? )1Hr late would = You're Fired if he was mine.. I'm not an unreasonable guy.. But an hr. late with no call? And then You feel bad? Medic, precision, and oldtimer nailed it. I bet he's got enough for his vices, if he has any.. If not than he probly is irresponsible. But that really ain't the point, you lost $$$ because he was late.

fga
08-31-2004, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by Turf Medic
Just because he comes in for coffee and cupcakes, gets free lunch and rides, he will still think of you as the employer, not his friend. well, that's a given. just like no mattrer how good you treat a customer, they'll get on you for anything.

but like i said, i changed my plans waiting for him. I don't think i got punished at all. i do my route in 4 days. Monday and saturdays i try to leave open. So i had today off, instead. Hung out, watch some 50's godzilla flicks with my daughter, and met a out of state Lawn Site meber who happen to be in town for a burger..... now its 10 and i'm kicking back some more........

.....i'm not perfect. I like this worker and felt bad, so i through him 5 dollars for lunch, despite him being an hour late. How does that make him irresponsible, and me paying unfair wages? when i say maybe he depends on me for lunch, i mean maybe he factors me buying him lunch into his living arangements, i don't know. i don't hate the guy.

printer88
08-31-2004, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by Mdirrigation
We roll out at 8 am. We wait for no one , unless they call and are no more than 10 minutes late .

amen brother!!!!

Shuter
08-31-2004, 11:28 PM
It's hard to find good help. I would have let him go, unless there was a very good reason for his tardiness. Put an ad for helper in newspaper to replace a college kid and got 75 calls. There are plenty of people looking for work.

Turf Medic
08-31-2004, 11:33 PM
Didn't say you should hate the guy, but his actions appear to be making you feel guilty, not a good situation for a employer to be in. You are correct, he may depend on you for lunch because that is the program you have in place, but you depend on him to be there in a timely fashion.

As far as the irresponsible comment, if an employee makes a fair wage and by fair I mean one that he can have a decent life, he should not have to plan on the crumbs his employer tosses to be able to eat. That leaves only two conclusions either the employer isn't paying a decent wage or the employee squanders his income without making sure he has money left over to provide for himself and that would deem him irresponsible.

fga
08-31-2004, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by Turf Medic

As far as the irresponsible comment, if an employee makes a fair wage and by fair I mean one that he can have a decent life, he should not have to plan on the crumbs his employer tosses to be able to eat. That leaves only two conclusions either the employer isn't paying a decent wage or the employee squanders his income without making sure he has money left over to provide for himself and that would deem him irresponsible. yes and no. i agree but, it depends on how someone plans out their exspenses. for example.... i have an account that is x amount of money. I say to my self, this acount pays for gas for the month. that one cut pays for lunch this week,etc. if i lose that account, i still have money to pay for gas, and if i don't get that house cut, we still eat lunch that week. but that's just me. who knows... maybe he is irresponsible with his money. i guess what he does with his money, isn't really any of my buisness. but he is taken care pay-wise on my side..... and don't forget the cup cake.

Lbilawncare
09-01-2004, 12:20 AM
At least he showed up ! We leave the shop by 8:00, will call once if someone is late, it is there responsibility to meet us wherever we are. Although he was late, he obviously made the effort to show up, hopefully he isn't pissed off at you for sending him home.

fga
09-01-2004, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by Lbilawncare
At least he showed up ! We leave the shop by 8:00, will call once if someone is late, it is there responsibility to meet us wherever we are. Although he was late, he obviously made the effort to show up, hopefully he isn't pissed off at you for sending him home. quite the opposite, he looked slightly relieved being that it was raining. though not enough rain that we would have called it a day.

fga
09-01-2004, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by Lbilawncare
At least he showed up ! We leave the shop by 8:00, will call once if someone is late, it is there responsibility to meet us wherever we are. Although he was late, he obviously made the effort to show up, hopefully he isn't pissed off at you for sending him home. another thing. you said he must meet "us". when you are solo, and you have one worker that comes in, it matters slightly more, then if 1 member of "several" doesn't show up. if my one guy guy doesn't show up, legitimate reason or not, my plans have to change. if he was one several, and "we" could still go out on the route, then the "1" would be less significant...

Randy Scott
09-01-2004, 11:53 AM
What the hell is it with giving him lunch money? The guys late, doesn't call, YOU have to change your work for the day, then tell him to go home, but wait, here's five bucks for lunch. What the hell is that? You send out some mixed signals.

As much as we would like to be our employees friend, it doesn't work. Nothing wrong with treating them fair, but they are only there to make you money. One huge learning curve for me this year was that no matter what you do, they are still just an employee. When push comes to shove, they are looking out for themselves just like I am for myself. I tried the good guy buddy route and all it did was get me taken advantage of. No longer, now it's business. Not that I don't appreciate them, nor acknowledge that of them, but we have a business to run, not a social club. We wait ten to fifteen minutes at most, sometimes less if we're all set to go. I've already driven down the road past them and had them turn around and follow us. F it, you're on my time when it's starting time, be there or get left behind. I'll suffer through the day short one person before I kiss their arse to get them to work on time.

fga
09-01-2004, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by Randy Scott
What the hell is it with giving him lunch money? The guys late, doesn't call, YOU have to change your work for the day, then tell him to go home, but wait, here's five bucks for lunch. What the hell is that? You send out some mixed signals.

listen, the guy is really skinny. when he puts the safety glasses on, he looks like a telescope on a tri pod.. let the man eat. I would like to keep this guy as a worker, and he busts his @ss for me, despite his shortcomings with showing up some times. i sent him home, he took the bus to my house and back for nothing, and got lunch out of it. and i got the day off, guilt free. I know someone said you can't feel guilty, but, i never said i was the perfect business man and boss.

shearbolt
09-02-2004, 01:15 AM
Hire Hispanics. They always show up.

fga
09-02-2004, 01:16 AM
Originally posted by shearbolt
Hire Hispanics. They always show up. his name is Javier:)

GreenMonster
09-02-2004, 10:45 AM
ok, Adam now please be honest....

What was the BEST part of your day on Tuesday? I know the answer.

We know it wasn't the Yankee game.
L E T ' S G O Y A N K E E S ! ! !

fga
09-02-2004, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
ok, Adam now please be honest....

What was the BEST part of your day on Tuesday? I know the answer.

We know it wasn't the Yankee game.
L E T ' S G O Y A N K E E S ! ! ! i was waiting for this... i think i'm going to out you on my ignore list for a day or 2 so you can get it out of your system..:o :D :cry:

GreenMonster
09-02-2004, 12:12 PM
That's all you're gonna get.

All the Red Sox are doing is setting us up for MAJOR dissapointment this year. I've been through this too many times to think otherwise:(

So, again, the BEST part of your day......:drinkup:

fga
09-02-2004, 12:17 PM
"this person is on your ignore list".......... jk.

well, it wasn't the stomach ache i got from eating a 2 hour old soggy burger...(cue the vomit smiley)

my wife asked me when i picked her up...." soooo, how did your man date go?"
i died laughing thinking about the Seinfeld episode where jerry is going to hang out with Kieth Hernendez..:D

GreenMonster
09-02-2004, 12:21 PM
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

yeah, man date. Good one. My biggest dissapointment was your wife not showing up. When you told me you dropped her off at school, I almost told you I had to wash my hair:D

My wife said, "gee, I guess you really are lonely on the road if you have go meet some guy you met on the internet."
;)

fga
09-02-2004, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

yeah, man date. Good one. My biggest dissapointment was your wife not showing up. When you told me you dropped her off at school, I almost told you I had to wash my hair:D

My wife said, "gee, I guess you really are lonely on the road if you have go meet some guy you met on the internet."
;) the way your wife said that, i feel like a dirty old man :( ..."some guy on the internet".

Up North
09-02-2004, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by bobbygedd
fga i am sorry, i disagree with you on this one. finding a guy who can weedwack, trim shrubbery (properly) , use an edger and mower, do a nice job, and not cut his fingers off, all for around $10 an hour, knowing damn well by dec he's out of a job for 4 months, is a very, very tough thing to do. by sending him home, did you not make what you could have today? my amigo shows up 15-20 min early, every day. uses all my equipment like he was born with it in his hands, is very respectful. he shows up late like once every 2 weeks. i don't even mention it. i say thank you at the end of each workday, and again when i hand him his check.

Bobby, weren't you thinking about firing a guy just because he sweat too much???;)

Buck