PDA

View Full Version : I need a 36" mower that can really hold a hill..

Lawn-Scapes
08-31-2004, 08:20 PM
I have one property that has a very difficult slope. I have a hard time keeping my Gravely 50" from wanting to slide sideways. I think I need something lighter so I feel like I will have more control. Is there a 36" walkbehind that is best known for holding a hill? Maybe a 32" would be even better?

I'd like to keep costs to a minimum as it will be basically be limited to this one job... so something used and probably gear drive would be best.

Also.. It could cut like crap for all I care.. it just needs to hold the hill. :)

Thanks in advance.

Fareway Lawncare
08-31-2004, 10:55 PM
Definately has to be Hydro...w/good independant lever controls.... eXmark TracerHP's Hang Ditches that the 21"s Slide Down....

32" Worse....Narrow Tires....

CookTractor
08-31-2004, 11:29 PM
exmark 36' turf tracer will get the job done, it will hang on a hill almost vertical

locutus
08-31-2004, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by CookTractor
exmark 36' turf tracer will get the job done, it will hang on a hill almost vertical I agree. 60 degree slope with mine is not a problem.

sodzilla
09-01-2004, 12:08 AM
I do a commercial property that has one he** of a steap slope. Not only is it a steap slope but it is a three level retainig wall. So if the mower slide your looking at a 12-15 foot fall from the 2nd level to the ground. My Hustler 37" handles it fine. The guys from the management company saw me on it one day and couldn't believe I would take the mower on it. When they use to mow it themselves they said they gave up on mowing it and would just string trim it.

FrankenScagMachines
09-01-2004, 11:37 AM
Definately need a hydro for hills. You could always put some aggressive tires on it like a "snow hog" tire for snowblowers. that would be one mean machine. i had a belt drive Gravely 32", no go on steep parts. The hydro eXmark goes anywhere. Fixed deck mowers are almost better on hills because the weight is centered more over the drive wheels, whereas on a floater you've got more weight out front that is trying to change the path of the mower. But if you need a floating deck then it doesn't make very much difference on hills really.

Itsgottobegreen
09-01-2004, 12:44 PM
I would try what frankscag said. Put on some agressive tires and add some weights to it. Adding 100 pounds can make or break you. More weight, more traction.

FrankenScagMachines
09-01-2004, 01:14 PM
A buddy has a 48" Hustler hydro w/b (not a Super, one of the first ones) and put the aggressive tires on it like Walker has available for their riders, and he said it holds hills much better. I tried it with his aggressive tires in my yard where i have many steep spots, they do really well but i do not know how it did before. That thing can hang a hill pretty good though. The Hustler is built heavy and those tires cling real good. here's a pic of his mower.