PDA

View Full Version : grass is turning white?

Expert Lawns
08-31-2004, 11:57 PM
I noticed that on one of my properties the grass is turning white near the base of about 3 trees. I have heard of grass turning white if it is struck by lightening, but this doesn't seem to be the case. Any ideas?

grass-scapes
09-01-2004, 12:18 AM
Maybe its just old grass, turning grey with age. Next thing you know, there will be a bald patch right in the middle.

:jester:

Runner
09-01-2004, 12:20 AM
It could be powdery mildew...I'd have to see it.

Liberty Lawncare
09-01-2004, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by Runner
It could be powdery mildew...I'd have to see it.
Probably ^^^^ if your temps at night are around 60 and the dew is heavy.
Or if your temps are real cold frost or snow?? LOL:D

Expert Lawns
09-01-2004, 12:27 AM
temps hit in the 40's over night not too long ago. they bottom out in the 50's now. is it simply a discoloration, or will it harm the grass in the future?

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC
09-01-2004, 01:16 AM
Is the grass wet a lot or almost all the time?

HOMER
09-01-2004, 01:18 AM
It's probably where you were standing with your little dress on......couldn't take it and just flat out kicked the bucket.

Expert Lawns
09-01-2004, 09:17 AM
MJL, these are very well shaded and often damp areas.

Homer, usually the grass enjoys my "wear your wife's clothes to work" tuesdays.

Up North
09-01-2004, 01:09 PM
Expert, get a pair of your finest high heeled pumps on and aerate the area with the little heels of your shoes. See if that helps...:D

Like Runner said, it may be powdery mildew. I've seen it many times on a lawn that we had when living in the Twin Cities. It didn't seem to harm anything, but it was prevelent in shady areas near our deck. The sun never reached that area to burn off the moisture from the irrigation system, so it was pretty damp back there, and white.

Buck

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC
09-01-2004, 03:26 PM
Well if the grass is wet or even damp most of the time, the grass can actually mold. If thats what is happening it will look like a white powder on the blades of grass. The whole blade of grass doesnt have to be white. Sometimes they are speckled. If thats your problem, talk to the customers into letting you clear a way for either more air flow or sunlight to reach the grass. With sunlight your grass goes through a process call "transpiration" and that is what dries the soil quickest. I can explain in more detail if needed. Another quick fix would be to shorten or completely stop watering that part of the yard, because if its naturally wet, there is no need to keep it watered.

RBP
09-01-2004, 09:08 PM
Expert,Iv'e noticed this on a couple of my lawns to and was wondering what was causing it.It's been unusually cold around here this past month so I was wondering if that could be a contributing factor?One of the lawns is irragated and the other isn't and the people never seem to water it.It's weird cause I was just thinking today of posting this same question.

Expert Lawns
09-02-2004, 02:51 PM
MJL, thanks for the input. learn something new everyday :D

RBP, the weather here in michigan has been crazy lately. cold overnight and HOT during the day. even though we had a mild summer, it looks like september will be pretty warm

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC
09-02-2004, 03:09 PM
Expert Lawns, is that what the problem was, or did I just "edgejamakate" you on something else?