PDA

View Full Version : Changing doors on enclosed trailers

gamartin88
08-31-2004, 11:07 PM
I have a small transhaul 6 x10' enclosed trailer. It has the regular 2 doors that open to each side. I have seen trailers the same as mine with the drop doors. Has anyone ever changed from the swinging doors to a single drop door? If so, what's involved work and cost wise.
TIA
http://www.eagleboxing.com/thring/ga_rr/trailer%20ramps.jpg

kemmer
08-31-2004, 11:26 PM
i have the same trailer as you but its haulmark. it looks like the door hinges are welded to the frame. id say go to where you got it and see if they have a parts catalog and see if you can get a rear gate, or try to sell it

Tony Clifton
09-01-2004, 07:30 AM
You would be better off selling it and buying one with the rear ramp door. By the time you bought a new door and made the neccesary changes and then put it on you would be spending more than if you took the hit trading it in.

gamartin88
09-01-2004, 07:34 AM
I guess I'll just learn to deal with using ramps. I've been thinking about ways to make them either fold up into the trailer, hang on the back doors, or possibly weld some brackets under the trailer to slide them into. Has anyone done something like that who could offer some suggestions?

Kevinrmac
09-01-2004, 10:28 AM
A friend of mine has a general open utility trailer (home made job, not specifically designed for landscaping, actually build from a popup trailer frame) that he welded angle iron onto the bottom of it, with a couple of cross braces to make sure they didn't bow out. Ramps slide right underneath. Then drilled two holes down through the floor of the trailer near the back to put a bolt with a washer down through to make sure they don't slide out while he's driving down the road

Eric 1
09-01-2004, 01:03 PM
Yeah, just trade it in for another one would be my advice.

BTW. I like your truck.:cool: