PDA

View Full Version : what?

big tim afm
09-01-2004, 12:08 AM
I told a guy I work with I just purchased a echo trimmer,his response was echo is junk! mind you he has a lco and his trimmer is a homelite!! aaahhhhh ok..

Expert Lawns
09-01-2004, 12:14 AM
aren't homelites electric?

HOMER
09-01-2004, 12:16 AM
I'd have to say he was close to being right........in my experience.

FoxDen
09-01-2004, 12:19 AM
Not a big fan of th Echo's. We have one and we still need to keep the directions handy to figure out how to string it. The Stihl are much more user friendly and do a great job. Give them a try!

Lbilawncare
09-01-2004, 12:25 AM
A lot of people call a lot of things junk, just read awhile on this site. I wouldn't take too much offense, we had a Homelite trimmer and although I wouldn'y classify it Junk, I would have preferred to have an Echo.

txlawnking
09-01-2004, 12:25 AM
Not a big Echo fan myself, But it is light years ahead of anything Homelite makes...

moremowing4me
09-01-2004, 12:28 AM
If echo is junk than they wouldn't be in buisness after 30 years. I run stihl myself but also have a echo split boom and an echo edger. both are very good products.

fairwayCuts
09-01-2004, 12:32 AM
I've been using my echo for a year now and never had any trouble. And I've never had any trouble stringing it?

fga
09-01-2004, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by FoxDen
Not a big fan of th Echo's. We have one and we still need to keep the directions handy to figure out how to string it. The Stihl are much more user friendly and do a great job. Give them a try! i never had any real trouble stringingit, but with it wearing out. i just replaced the crappy echo head with the remax style head, and i love it. quick string up, easily replace and carry spools with you. it changed my opinion on my echo trimmers. isn't it beautiful, on that echo shaft?

FrankenScagMachines
09-01-2004, 01:05 AM
I had a troublesome SRM2400 split boom that i used just to edge with, but got a SRM2400 trimmer from a buddy (who runs Stihl and tried the Echo but disliked it) for $45 and they only used it a half season or whatever, but it sat after that alot. So i took it home and put the split boom parts on it from the other split boom. works fine. Not my favorite machine though. That guy loves his Echo backpacks and when it came time for a new b/p, i checked out the Echo. was real impressed and i do love the dealer. so i got the 650T and no regrets thus far.
Just today i got a pretty new gently used (homeowner owned) SRM230S for dirt cheap (won't say how much cuz it'll make you so mad and jealous haha). and it seems like it's got some improved stuff over the earlier SRM2400 i have. The Echo's have 2 year commercial warranty thats not bad at all! They seem little bit lighter weight than the Stihl's or just different balance. I like the small shield on it. I hate the line spool on the 230 and 2400.... The Stihl is light years ahead there. Some things on the Stihl seem better thought out and stronger- such as the throttle trigger and throttle safety lever (the Stihl has "sides" on them and the Echo is just a flap.) the 2400's throttle trigger is broke off cuz it's flimsy and thin.

The Stihl's are just brutes power-wise and a bit heavier, but I think for daily regular trimming use an Echo is lighter weight and has plenty of power. of course i realize i may not be comparing equal models. the Echo 230 has plenty of power, i think i'll be using it more to trim with (lighter and quieter than the Stihl). My workers can use whatever they want. They both love the Stihl FS80 and have similar ones at their homes, they would swear by them. It has been great. So, I think Echo is fine and so is Stihl. Guess it's personal preference and dealer is what it comes down to.

AuburnGuy
09-01-2004, 09:33 AM
I'm on my second year with echo (30 yards part time). but they have served me well so far.

JB1
09-01-2004, 09:51 AM
All I had ever used was shindawia trimmers, got a chance to buy three echo's at a good price, first time I ever wrapped one around a tree. I will never buy another echo, they just never held up. Shindawia from now on.

wkshank
09-01-2004, 02:07 PM
My Echo is five years old. All I've had done is the carb cleaned twice and a new string head installed. Still runs great.