PDA

View Full Version : multi-head tools?

Little o
08-31-2004, 11:58 PM
Hi everyone,

Starting out as a solo next spring 2005.

What are the pros and cons of the multi-head power tools?
(ie. stihl or shindaiwa). Or is it better to buy the individual tools from an efficiency standpoint.

What brand is everyones favorite. Have a dealer for the two about equal distance.

Thanks,

Doug

TClawn
09-01-2004, 12:47 AM
if your looking to get the 2 cycle engines I think that the stihl mh110 is better than the shindaiwa m231. the 110 has more power than the 231 which makes it more desirable since its going to have to do the edging and cutting down heavy growth.

on the other hand if you want the stihl four mix or the C4 technology I think the shindaiwa has the upper hand on that one because I have heard that there's virtually no throttle on the stihl and its either idling or on full throttle which is not good when your trimming an area with lots of little tiny pebbles or trimming around trees. I have only heard good things about the m2500 (I want one!) its very light for the amount of torque that it puts out (as much as the t270) and has good throttle response.

make sure that you have good dealer support even if the good dealer cost more than the other one.btw, see if they will let you demo the trimmers.

trying 2b organic
09-01-2004, 02:49 AM
I have the Shin multi head and its great. It kind of depends you your usage, you cant be changing heads every lawn. for eg. if you know u want to blade edge and line trim every prop. buy separate tools. If you will line trim but want to blade edge or do hedges (different head obviosly :D ) once a month then this tooll may work for you for a season to two.

Little o
09-01-2004, 03:14 AM
Thanks guys for the help and replies.

Just trying to research and make the best choice. Trying to stay with one brand if possible. Dealer support I guess is the most important.

Doug

LawnScapers of Dayton
09-01-2004, 06:23 AM
I have the M2500 as my backup trimmer and I also have the hedge trimmer, pole pruner, and the edger attachements. As a solo operator it really is perfect for me. Also I find that the string trimmer on the M2500 worked better in heavy, overgrown grasses and weeds. My primary trimmer is a T230......

Derek

Rhett
09-01-2004, 07:20 AM
I have the Stihl 85 with all the attachments. Not real crazy about the powerhead but the attachments work fine. Up side is I have two power heads so if one goes down I can still run everything. Down side, hard starters, tightening hadles will strip out in a month, switching attachments.