PDA

View Full Version : motivation is gone

bobbygedd
09-01-2004, 07:19 AM
lately, i have no motivation at all about my business. the work is getting done, well most of it, but it seems a struggle every morning to get going, then every minute of the work day, i'm thinking about other things besides what i'm doing. i wake up in the morning hoping to see rain so i have an excuse not to cut grass, and from the time we start, i'm thinking when is it time to go home. just a complete and total lack of motivation. it seems like only a month ago, i was a ball of fire, now i'm nothing more than grey ashes. ever get in a "slump" for awhile? i know we all have a day or two when we just don't feel like it, but, have you ever had a month or two when you've felt like that?

KenH
09-01-2004, 07:24 AM
This whole last season I felt like this. Ive been doing this for 21 years now and feel like I (and my body) have just had it. Ive dropped alot of customers this season and believe it or not, I am alot happier. I do 20 accounts now (as opposed to 130+ in the past) so that is a huge difference.

My discalimer: I do have backup income, so I am 'allowed' to have this attitude......

Trevors Lawn Care
09-01-2004, 07:27 AM
I have had a couple weeks where i felt like that. But then usually come around the end of the month when the $$$$$$$$4 starts rollin in, i remind myself....It would taken me a while to make this much at another job. Today....I AM READY TO GO...This will be my last day cutting for a LONG while...I leave for college tomorrow, and am turning the business over to someone else for the time being.

Trevor

AL Inc
09-01-2004, 08:32 AM
I think it is just this time of year. By mid-August I am feeling shot. I told my wife I feel like I'm in that movie "Groundhog Day" where Bill Murray re-lives the same day over and over. Every day is the same. But by the time clean-ups begin, I usually get my second wind and that gets me through the fall.

fga
09-01-2004, 08:47 AM
bob,
i call that the roller coaster affect. i get that all the time. weeks on the ball, then, weeks of "...well, was HAS to get done this week." normal. you'll get over it. i got my first call yesterday saying 'where are you, the grass is tall.'
is all your work close to home? i purposely schedule all my neighborhood work for the first day of maintenance of the week. Amigo starts cutting, while i getting dressed an ease into work mode... works so far.
right this second, mower running outside, coffee half drank, me almost dressed,... easing into workmode. i better go:)

sgtgm5
09-01-2004, 08:49 AM
I know where your coming from.

Lately I have had some rough roads to cross and it seems like an uphill battle. I think this is going to be my last season but keep maybe ten or fifteen accounts on the side. The competition is fierce and there is no sign of it going away. With Bushes economic package( ya right) it seems that 7 out 10 poeple laid off enters the lawn care business.

Sure, there is enough work to go around but that only lasts so long and the Pita's know it. We all know that senior citizens are on a fixed budget and if your primarily residental then it tough to make a buck because they shop for the lowest bid. ( Who could blame them. There medicines are expensive and when they try to buy cheaper from another country the are critized.)

Anyhow, my drive is also down and I'm thinking about finding another area to get into. Maybe I will go and buy auctioned parts and resell them back to the government at inflated prices:rolleyes:

walker-talker
09-01-2004, 08:52 AM
Yes, I feel it also, but not real bad. I find myself reading more on the subject of getting out of working in the business and more working on the business. I am still part time, but would like to go full time next season. The passionate hate for my current job is my motivation for me to do what I need to do now. I dream of having people work for me and focusing on my goals is a great motivation factor.

Lawn-Scapes
09-01-2004, 08:55 AM
How can that be Bobby? If I had your hours, your amigo and income.. I'd be lovin' life! :p

You are not alone... I've felt that way for the last... I dunno.............. 5 years maybe...

I think I'm finally starting to snap out of it. :D

TheKingNJ
09-01-2004, 09:13 AM
I usally start to get my energy back in september when the weather starts to cool down.

Itsgottobegreen
09-01-2004, 11:51 AM
They always say "don't do something you love for a job, because evenutally you start to hate it"

I am starting to hate doing this. Same $#!+, differen't day. Which is why I am try to start doing more landscaping and less mowing. But I know if I quit. Give it a year or so and I would be back.

Up North
09-01-2004, 12:01 PM
Bobby, I'm sure it'll pass. It's just like any other job, you're going to have good days and bad days. At least you can be outside, doing something with your hands, being your own boss, and knock off early in the day if you want.

You could be like me...mowed a resturant this early A.M. (6:30am), cruise back to my office and do mundane things while looking out the window at my Z sitting on the trailer begging to go cut some grass...can't wait till lunch to get out there and do two accounts during lunch. But then when I'm done, it's back to the office behind this @#$% desk again until 4:00pm and it's off to mow again. I am looking forward to having your problem next season...at least I'll be working for myself full-time.

Buck

Liberty Lawncare
09-01-2004, 12:02 PM
I get that way sometimes. I think if I was making more and had a helper I would get bummed out less. Well lunch is done so back to work. Its nice today not humid.

gscone
09-01-2004, 12:24 PM
Though i'm not an LCO, Why not consider a new career or interest?

GC

fga
09-01-2004, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by gscone
Though i'm not an LCO, Why not consider a new career or interest?

GC gscone,
where in NYC are you?

bobbygedd
09-01-2004, 12:31 PM
thank god it's not only me PHEW, for awhile there, i thought i may have to quit drinking beer and smoking weed. BUT, since you guys have the same problem, no need for me to quit.

gscone
09-01-2004, 12:37 PM
FGA- I'm over on Long Island

Firstclasslawn
09-01-2004, 12:43 PM
Man Bobby you keep me laughing LoL --quit drinking beer and start smoking weed, LoL thats hillarious

fga
09-01-2004, 12:44 PM
FGA- I'm over on Long Island hey that's not NYC! false advertising there..:)
not an lawnguy? just checking it out?

haven't been to Jones beach in a while, nice beaches.

Gravely_Man
09-01-2004, 12:51 PM
Keeping going and putting your all into it are very tiring to say the least. I find myself thinking about working for someone else and that is all it takes to get me moving.

Gravely_Man

olderthandirt
09-01-2004, 01:20 PM
Take more time off, and when you get hungry and there ain't no food the drive will return. Always worked for me, I like to call it my motivation.

Mac

gscone
09-01-2004, 01:38 PM
FGA- Thats correct, Its not NYC at all. I just purchased a home here and i do all the landscaping myself so I come here to pick up idea's. Many LCo's in the neighborhood cant even come close to how good my lawn looks.

fga
09-01-2004, 02:33 PM
FGA- Thats correct, Its not NYC at all. I just purchased a home here and i do all the landscaping myself so I come here to pick up idea's. Many LCo's in the neighborhood cant even come close to how good my lawn looks. you came to the right place. did you check out the homeowner forum yet? good luck.

Evan528
09-01-2004, 04:40 PM
Im feeling the same way unfortunatly. In the past years I get in this slump every july and august as I am just burnt out. This year I started feeling I hate this business in March and my mind hasnt changed since. I find my self also having a hard time getting out of bed in the morning knowing what my day has in store for me. Over the last 2 years I have lost my passion completly for this business. Most likly next year will be my last year in the business because I can only take so many miserable days. I am currently looking into several other carreer oppertunities wich I would like to start with part time while i continue to do landscaping and then im hoping to completly sell my business. This business has burned me out to the point that i do not think I will every cut a lawn or much a bed again as long as I live. I might just be looking for a landscaper in a few years even to do my property! :D

Getting out of this business is a scary thought as this is all I know as a way of life. I am used to living a fairly comfortable life and being able to enjoy some luxuries so I am being very careful about whatever else I get into. I will not sell untill im sure I can make as much or more money then what im making now. By 2006 my goal is to not even own a lawn mower or a wheel barrow anymore.

Lawn-Scapes
09-01-2004, 04:41 PM
Many LCo's in the neighborhood cant even come close to how good my lawn looks.

gscone... if you're going to talk smack.. you have to back it up. Let's see a picture! :p

moremowing
09-01-2004, 04:47 PM
consider this, i was on kidney dialysis for 5 years, to ill to work, watched a lot of tv and sat for 5 years, got a kidney transplant from a cadaver, and its off to the races buddy. Consider if you lost your health, how much would you miss working and cutting grass. I say its all in the way you look at your situation, im thankful to be able to work, i get excited about using my muscles and feeling them ache after working hard. like they say you dont miss it till its gone. hope this helps

CamLand
09-01-2004, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by Lawn-Scapes
gscone... if you're going to talk smack.. you have to back it up. Let's see a picture! :p

I second that...

Up North
09-01-2004, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by moremowing
consider this, i was on kidney dialysis for 5 years, to ill to work, watched a lot of tv and sat for 5 years, got a kidney transplant from a cadaver, and its off to the races buddy. Consider if you lost your health, how much would you miss working and cutting grass. I say its all in the way you look at your situation, im thankful to be able to work, i get excited about using my muscles and feeling them ache after working hard. like they say you dont miss it till its gone. hope this helps

Wow, glad it all worked out moremowing!

Buck

CamLand
09-01-2004, 04:54 PM

Big props,i could never imagine what you went through...:drinkup:

bobbygedd
09-01-2004, 05:01 PM
moremowing, i'm glad you're ok, and now i have the inspiration i need. tommorow i will work 7HOURS, instead of 4. a little overtime can't hurt, right?

moremowing
09-01-2004, 05:04 PM
not trying to be judgemental, just sharing what motivates me

fga
09-01-2004, 05:05 PM
consider this, i was on kidney dialysis for 5 years, to ill to work, watched a lot of tv and sat for 5 years, got a kidney transplant from a cadaver, and its off to the races buddy. Consider if you lost your health, how much would you miss working and cutting grass. I say its all in the way you look at your situation, im thankful to be able to work, i get excited about using my muscles and feeling them ache after working hard. like they say you dont miss it till its gone. hope this helps wow, thanks for the reality check.

HighGrass
09-01-2004, 06:27 PM
I feel this way until I start thinking about the job I had before, then it's real easy to enjoy it.

bobbygedd
09-01-2004, 06:30 PM
glad you're ok big guy, we take our health for granted all too often. a healthy body, and mind, is a gift. live life, love it, when it's over, it's over

PMLAWN
09-01-2004, 08:12 PM
Bobby- Just saw your latest profile in Expert Lawns, "GOOD LOOKS" thread. Maybe it's the extra weight you moving these days.

J/K It will pass. I can't believe your life would be boring for too long.

gscone
09-01-2004, 09:38 PM
I think I may have hit a funny bone, but by no means am I talkin smack. You'll have a pic first thing in the morning,

GC

theweedman
09-01-2004, 09:43 PM
try and go work for TruGreen chemlawn for a month., that will work.

Originally posted by bobbygedd
lately, i have no motivation at all about my business. the work is getting done, well most of it, but it seems a struggle every morning to get going, then every minute of the work day, i'm thinking about other things besides what i'm doing. i wake up in the morning hoping to see rain so i have an excuse not to cut grass, and from the time we start, i'm thinking when is it time to go home. just a complete and total lack of motivation. it seems like only a month ago, i was a ball of fire, now i'm nothing more than grey ashes. ever get in a "slump" for awhile? i know we all have a day or two when we just don't feel like it, but, have you ever had a month or two when you've felt like that?

crawdad
09-01-2004, 10:12 PM

Nope, never felt like that, not since i've been self-employed. What's the matter, didn't you catch any fish Monday or Tuesday?
You'll feel better, when August's payments start rolling in...
Crawdadpayup :drinkup:

HOMER
09-01-2004, 10:15 PM
Thank God I'm not alone.

Seems like everything I own needs more work than what it's worth. I get up and wonder how I managed to get myself in the position I'm in. The truck tranny is acting up again.........no time to get it to the shop and surely can't do without it for 4-5 days........and the $$$$ it's gonna cost to get it repaired just bum me out. Just got one lawnmower out of the shop today to the tune of $194.39......not bad considering. Got another one that's just about junk and one that needs this and that. I just ain't buying another item that's gonna make me work like a slave. What I needed to buy was some common sense or even an ass whoopin a long time ago...........or better yet a good education.

This has been the hardest 8 years of my life and that ain't no joke, something always needs doing and your never, ever truly done working.

I must have fell and bumped my gord.........won't be long and I'll have something else to do or I'll sit on the porch and wait for that lovely mailman!

There has to be more to life than working all the time:angry:

Supertiger
09-01-2004, 10:31 PM
Im so depressed now, you said exactly what i feel. I bought the Tenn. Lotery ticket thats what im trying for now.

Turfcutters Plus
09-02-2004, 12:39 AM
AHHHH.I just think of all my time off coming up this winter.Lot's of time to do anything!

PMLAWN
09-02-2004, 12:45 AM
I will have to say that I am envious of my guys at 6:00 because they are done for the day and I still have work to do.

LAWNS AND MOWER
09-02-2004, 01:38 AM
Bobby, I can feel your pain. I call it SBS ( Seasonal Burnout Syndrome ). Been in this biz for 18 years and have come to deal with it. I know it's coming, and just work through it. Fortunately, this August has been very cool. This is the time of year when the wanna-be's drop out. Normally pick up quite a few accounts this time of year. Good luck!!

Dwan
09-02-2004, 01:52 AM
Sounds like it is time to buy a new mower. when something like that happens to me I go out and buy something new for the business. or take on some job that is totaly different with a challange to it.
You just need a change to help.

brucec32
09-02-2004, 02:40 AM
Cheer up Bobby! I'm sure you'll have another interesting run-in with a customer that will perk you up. Sometimes there just isn't a good fight to be had, you have to weather those boring peaceful times. Perhaps a lawsuit or something will snap you out of the doldrums soon. ; 0

bobbygedd
09-02-2004, 05:16 AM
well, i am scheduled in court in few weeks, for a deadbeat. maybe that will get my heart pumping again. and crawdad, actually i caught no fish, nothing.

Greenservice
09-02-2004, 06:16 AM
I don't know what part of Jersey you're in Bobby, but here in the NW corner of the state it has rained a lot more than normal and I have not had the midsummer slowdown that I'm used to. I'm feeling it too because I've been going all summer just like it's still May. It's good money for this time of year, but it takes a toll on you.

grasswhacker
09-02-2004, 07:26 AM
Originally posted by AL Inc
I think it is just this time of year. By mid-August I am feeling shot. I told my wife I feel like I'm in that movie "Groundhog Day" where Bill Murray re-lives the same day over and over. Every day is the same. But by the time clean-ups begin, I usually get my second wind and that gets me through the fall.

LOL, I was telling my wife the other day (Tues.) that I thought we were stuck in the month of May (mentioned to her about the movie "Ground hog day") with all the rain and cool weather we've had the grass is growing as it does in the spring. I am so tired of mowing my own grass (6 acres out of 24) every week except one, that I'm almost tempted to petition the Lord for a drought. Must be careful what I ask for, so I'll just be content but, anxiously awaiting Dec. hehe

Oh, and bobby learn to pace yourself. Running hot and cold will wear you out.

John Gamba
09-02-2004, 08:20 AM

I'll secound this!!
John:(

mole
09-02-2004, 08:50 PM
Just reading through this thred, as far as I can see that every one that is bumed out as well as me is on the east coast. Mostly North East. The thred before mine sums it all up as far as the north east is concernd this summer has been like spring wet and long and growing like crazy. You cut a lawn one day drive by the next and it doesn't look like you even cut it yesterday. I need to get some PMA (positive Mental Attitude to make it through the next 8 weeks and then I can start leaves and then lake effect snow. Live and Die by the weather. Mother Narture always wins.

pjslawncare/landscap
09-02-2004, 09:49 PM
Yur gettin lazy boy, snap out of it!
Just kiddin, getting the same thing here (especially about hoping for rain). But when we recharge this winter well be ithing again with fresh directions & new idea that come to us in our winter bordom.

Mowses
09-02-2004, 11:08 PM
You get this same feeling in any profession. Sometimes i'm fired up and other times i just don't care. Maybe read some inspirational books to get some energy going ?? 1 thing that works for me is look at cars, motorbikes, home cinema systems all the things i'd love to have. It makes you WANT those things real bad and i find i get fired up to do whatever it takes in order to get the money to buy them. I find if i have no goal/reward to work towards i lose motivation easily.

all degree
09-02-2004, 11:22 PM
Bobby lets take a trip over to Sunsets and drink some beer and check out the hot chicks. It wont motivate you but it sure will be fun.

odin
09-02-2004, 11:58 PM
Many morning's, i lose my motivation to go out and work...all i do is take a good look at the hag and the movation to go to work returns quickly lol.