PDA

View Full Version : Blower throttle- hip or tube??

BryPaulD
09-01-2004, 08:49 AM
which do you prefer and why? Thank you. Oh, and why haven't I seen a blower with the tube on the left side...for a lefty??

GrassBlaster
09-01-2004, 09:35 AM
tube....definately. frees up the other hand, and just feels better to me

mkwl
09-01-2004, 09:42 AM
I agree with grassblaster, the tube throttle is much better than hip throttle. Also, there is no left handed tube because of the rotation of the engine.

AuburnGuy
09-01-2004, 09:53 AM
I like the tube. i don't see how anyone could prefer the hip mounted. When its on the tube you only have to use your thumb to adjust the throttle

txlawnking
09-01-2004, 09:59 AM
Tube.. you can't "tease" the throttle to get leaves out of mulched beds with the hip throttle, and the tube throttle's out now have "cruise control" for the big jobs..Unless it was given to me, no way I'd use a hip throttle...

geogunn
09-01-2004, 10:26 AM
tube.

I don't generally use the tube extensions but sometimes I walk with the tube extensions in my left hand for when I need them.

GEO

FrankenScagMachines
09-01-2004, 10:27 AM
My Kawasaki used to be left hand hip frame mount throttle. I liked it ok (had cruise control) then I got a lesco just like it and it had tube throttle. The cruise was broke but i realized i liked it better. Traded the Lesco, still have the Kaw. The Kaw broke the throttle cable and a buddy had a Husqvarna one for parts so we took the tube throttle off of it and put on my Kaw. Works like a charm. Of course the cruise doesn't work on it either but it's much better. My new Echo PB650T has the tube throttle with cruise and i love it. Wouldn't have a frame mount again unless it was dirt cheap or free. Tube is faster and easier to strap on and the frame mount type will catch on fences and such and gets in the way, plus you don't have that hand free to move tree branches, open and close gates, hold a drink or pickup trash, whatever you feel like doing.

LCME
09-01-2004, 10:36 AM
Thanks for the thread. I was thinking on getting the hip throttle. But, after reading this tread. I'm going with the tube throttle. Thanks again, LCME

out4now
09-01-2004, 11:23 AM
I always liked the tobe mounts because you have better control over the engine speed if you want to tease the throttle for something like piling up leaves in a corner.

Itsgottobegreen
09-01-2004, 11:37 AM
I like the hip mount. Set the speed and forget it. 2 strokes are supposed to be ran at full throttle. Which is why trimmer engines blow up. I have ran blowers with the trigger control. Yes its nice. But I kept finding myself revving the engine. Instead of leaving it at a nice even speed. My to hip mounted echo PB-400e are 13 and 9 years old. They work just fine. I run them at one speed and leave it there.

BryPaulD
09-01-2004, 06:05 PM
Thanks for the replies :) Good points about the tube.

Fareway Lawncare
09-01-2004, 06:15 PM
Tube ! There's No Benefits to hip....Tubes have Cruise Control also so Why can't you Set the Speed & Forget it Itsgotobegreen?!?!?!

stevesmowing
09-01-2004, 06:58 PM
I have a eb630 and love the hip mount. I have used a br420 and don't like the tub mount. I think the hip mount is more durable and quite often I don't use the handle on the tube I just hold on to the tube itself as I find it faster and easier to move the tube from side to side.

Itsgottobegreen
09-01-2004, 08:41 PM
Well it was an older stihl I was using. It didn't have cruise control.

Also like what steve said. I hold on to the tube. Not the handle. Plus the handle adds more weight. A few ounces doesn't sound like much, but at the end of the day, your arm will be hurting.

Plus I like my old heavy metal housing PB-400e over any new light weight more powerful blowers. Because the new ones just can't keep up. Mine still start on the first pull. Plus takes a heck of a lot more punishment. Trust me on that.

rkbrown
09-01-2004, 11:41 PM
I prefer the hip here.

65hoss
09-02-2004, 08:00 AM
My Stihl is a tube throttle. Its ok, but when I bought other blowers they are ALWAYS hip throttles. 7000,7001,8000 all are hip. I like it better.

GreenMonster
09-02-2004, 09:16 AM
I have one of each.

prefer tube.

BryPaulD
09-02-2004, 09:52 AM
do the 7001's have cruise control on the tube mount?

liltex
09-02-2004, 11:27 PM
i like the hip over tube. i used my neighbors one time and feel in love over my tube. its a matter of choice just like trimmers and mowers.

work_it
09-02-2004, 11:39 PM
The Redmax 7001 is the first hip mount I've ever owned and like it. I was worried at first about it tieing up both hands but I still have my left hand free. Just set the throttle at full and start blowing bricks around.

BryPaulD
09-03-2004, 07:45 AM
I ordered a tube :) I like the point about feathering the throttle around beds and house. My area dealer hasn't sold a tube in a long time. He says the users get to carried away waving it around and then leading to a messed up throttle cable. I will be careful of that.

LCME
09-03-2004, 09:25 AM
While talking to the local dealer. He said, the hip throttle was more durable than the tube throttle. I guess because you're not waving the throttle cable around with the tube type. From what I'm reading here. The consensuses is the hip throttle is more durable. But, the tube throttle has cruise control thus easier to control speed.

I was mowing the other day and a neighbor ask me if I can start weekly mowing. I took the job. So, I decided to get the 8000. But, just can't make up my mind on throttle location yet.

txlawnking
09-03-2004, 09:54 AM
Waving the tube around?? messing up the throttle?? I don't see it. But some folks can break an Anvil with a rubber mallet.. BTW, I've seen plenty of folks break the hip throttle by running into things with it, yanking the blower out of the truck and smoking the throttle on the side of the bed etc..IMO the hip could be easier to damage..But personally I've never damaged either.

BryPaulD
09-03-2004, 12:37 PM
I can't wait to get mine. I am excited to see the amazing difference between the 7001 and the detachable electric blower/shop vac. Wooo Hooo, no more stupid extension cords to drag around and get hung up on stuff.

NoWalk4Me
09-03-2004, 01:29 PM
BryPaulD,
Man are you in for a TREAT!!!! Electric to the 7001....man what a jump! Congrats.

BryPaulD
09-03-2004, 06:08 PM
Thank you. I am really excited about it. I've never used a backpack blower before.

Lux Lawn
09-03-2004, 07:00 PM
We have both and I like the throttle better.

Fareway Lawncare
09-03-2004, 07:39 PM
What eXactly is a Benefit of Hip if Both have Cruise ?!?!?!

Tube...No Protrusion to get hung up in Bushes etc....Free Hand...

Hip ?