PDA

View Full Version : for guys who charge by the hour

bobbygedd
09-01-2004, 02:35 PM
did a bad azz trim/cleanup job split between monday, and today. i charged by the hour. it's documented , "misc labor plus expenses". i charged hourly for all labor, then i charged for two edger blades i hacked while edging this disaster area, i also charged for the tecnu (soap for poison ivy), and to have the trimmers re sharpened, i stayed on the timeclock while we cleaned under the mowing decks (his lawn was 4 feet tall), and hosed off the mowers too, and greased them.and of course a dumping fee. for the guys that charge hourly, is this acceptable?

needa
09-01-2004, 02:46 PM
In a properly set up business model, edger blades, soap, trimmers resharpened, cleaning, greasing would be considered overhead. Those costs should be figured into your hourly rate. I wouldn't pay you for those services seperately on a T&E job. If you could prove to me that those devices were freshly sharpened, new, or you had to specifically purchase them for my yard and they will never be used again on anyone elses yard, then you have a ligitimate claim for charging me. If it were me, you wouldn't get a dime over a legitamate hourly time frame and the dumping costs.

Turf Medic
09-01-2004, 03:09 PM
I don't see a problem with this, you might however want to consider a % charge for misc materials, to cover expenses like these. If you take your truck to a repair shop, especially dealerships they will add a percentage to the total bill, they tell me this is to cover materials, ie shop rags, solvents, carb cleaner, sealants, uniforms, etc. They don't give a rats butt if they used any of this or not, if you have a ignition key programmed at the local dealerships, they still add the % charge to the total ticket including parts and labor, they don't even move the vehicle into the shop, unless the weather is bad, no way they are using any supplies.

satch
09-01-2004, 03:14 PM
bobby,if i could get paid like that i would move to NJ and start a buisness.i am not saying you cant charge for those things just as the person above said it has to be figured in the cost of doing buisness.

olderthandirt
09-01-2004, 03:22 PM
Next time charge them for the time it takes to start a thread and keep checking it to see if it was OK to charge them in the first place.

Mac

moremowing
09-01-2004, 05:53 PM
older than dirt and the mind to match lol

moremowing
09-01-2004, 05:54 PM
older than dirt and a mind to match

moremowing
09-01-2004, 05:55 PM
oops i forgot i posted already, strike a chord olderthandirt? lol

KenH
09-01-2004, 06:00 PM
I agree 100% with Needa.

Turf Medic
09-01-2004, 06:06 PM
How come, building contractrs, plumbers, electricians, mechanics, floor polishers, can have a supplies charge but we can't? IMO if you can SELL the concept to your customers, shouldn't be a problem.

bobbygedd
09-01-2004, 06:09 PM
i don't know needa, not sure you are right. when i worked at the printing company, the owner charged a flat rate per thousand printed pieces, then hourly rate for "unforseen" downtime related to the difficulty of the clients particular job. example in how this relates to my work: the edging had 4-5 " of overhang, some sections of the walkways were freshly repaired. how was i to know there were chunks of concrete, etc under the turf that i was edging? ok, this is similar to another thing i did not long ago. the lady asked me to cut down these overgrown areas of honeysuckle vine, and god knows what else wrapped around a tree. what i didn't know, and couldn't see, was that 100 yrs ago, she put a metal pipe there as a tree stake. well, i hammered my chain. i charged her $16 for a new one. is that wrong too?

Fescue Farmer
09-01-2004, 06:16 PM
Obviously, this did not sound like a fun job - when I have a not so fun job, I quote high, or if there is no quote, I make sure the customer understands just how high the bill may be. That way, if I get poison ivy, tear up blades, etc, I make it worth my while.

So Bobby, as long as your customer was aware of how high his bill may be, ABSOLUTELY charge for those items and hours!!!!

rodfather
09-01-2004, 07:01 PM
Can see both your's and needa's assessment bobby. Unforeseen circumstances go with the territory and in the future maybe remember this situation and quote accordingly.