PDA

View Full Version : Which of these two leaf removal options is best?

slippednfell
09-01-2004, 03:34 PM
As a bit of background, I mow my own one-acre yard, and I also take care of my elderly parents' and in-laws' properties. I have a 36" Scag WB (belt-drive, 15 hp Kaw) and a Craftsman tractor (42" deck, not auto, 17 hp Briggs & Stratton Intek). I'd like to use one of these mowers for leaf removal, but I don't know the pros and cons of each. For approximately the same cost, I can buy a bagger for the Scag that holds about 3 bushels, or I can buy an attachment for the Craftsman that holds about 6 bushels. In my opinion, the Scag cuts grass much better than the Craftsman, and I'm wondering if it would chop and bag leaves better too. (I typically use the Scag to cut these lawns, so I guess I'd also have the option of bagging the grass if I outfitted it with a bagger, although I doubt it. I think bagging grass is a waste of time. I actually think bagging leaves is a waste, but the people I'm helping think they should be removed, so I'm going to do that for them.) The Craftsman has a larger deck, goes faster, and I can sit down on it, so that intrigues the lazier side of me. I'd appreciate any opinions that might help me make a decision. Should I get a bagger for the Scag or the Craftsman?

mcclureandson
09-01-2004, 04:10 PM
I'd look in another direction...can you blow the leaves to the curb, onto a tarp, mulch them until they disappear etc?? I would only bag them as a last resort. Bagging is hard on equipment and time consuming for any large volume of leaves IMO. But if I had to, I would get the bagger for the Craftsman (why walk when you can ride?), it holds more per load and the baggers I've used on walk-behinds are super dusty/you get alot of blowout from the mesh they use to make the sides of the bagger. You can also line the Craftsman bagger with trash can liners and save yourself a step.