PDA

View Full Version : new curblaw here..

fga
09-01-2004, 07:59 PM
starting today, special police are going through the neighborhoods, looking for the slightest bit of garbage or debis they can find, within 18" of you curb. i heard even a ciggarrette butt. I always clean my properties, but people are slobs. do you think i would be held liable if a customer were to recieve a summons. i can understand if i had just left the property minutes before, maybe... but i'm only there once a week at best. I can see trouble brewing. anyone else have laws like this, that they actuallly inforce. this mayor is crazy, they will give me tickets here!

dkeisala
09-01-2004, 08:08 PM
Another stupid law. I can't see it being a problem for you unless you were the one that deposited the debris on the curb. Even then it would probably be the homeowners responsibility as this seems like the intent of the law.

You could always use this to your benefit as a sales tool. "As I'm sure you are aware, mr & mrs homeowner, there is this new curb side law that requires you to keep your property clean and picked up to within 18 inches of the curb. As part of our service routine, we blow everything off to AT LEAST 18" of the curb line, keeping your property clean and in compliance each and every week!"

fga
09-01-2004, 08:21 PM
aaahhhhh... always a silver lineing. but, i can still see trouble coming. people smoke like chimneys, and throw it on the floor, now i will truely be the sterotyped "lawn janitor". f-that.

dkeisala
09-01-2004, 08:25 PM
True, let them pick up their own garbage!

Littleriver1
09-01-2004, 08:34 PM
I think you worry too much.

gogetter
09-01-2004, 08:49 PM
Wow, that really is a stupid law. I can't see how they can even enforce it.

What if Mr. & Mrs. Jones leaves for work in the morning and all is clean. That afternoon the wind blows some trash from a neighbors trashcan or yard on to Mr. & Mrs. Jones curb. Then the "trash police" drive by before the the Jones' get home from work and have the chance to see it and pick it up. They get a fine???

Again, I can't see how they can enforce it.

fga
09-01-2004, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by Littleriver1
I think you worry too much. Mr. Mayor Bloomberg is insane. there was ticket blitz recently.... people have gotten the strangest tickets for the most BS things you can think of.
not long ago, a 8 month pregnant lady got a ticket for sitting on public stairs, cuz she was tired!! some guy who owned a deli, was sitting in front, he pulled up a milk crate to sit on, got a ticket for loitering or something. this is all true if i can find the stories online. this guy is crazy.
you don't understand the way they inforce things here. there are certain main road i don't drive on, because they see a work truck, think you have money, and get you for BS, like the tarp wasn't on properly, my seatbelt was under my armpit, instead of over my shoulder
i've gone to other states and am amazed how i don't even see a cop my entire time there. here, they hunt you, no exaggeration.

fga
09-01-2004, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by gogetter
Wow, that really is a stupid law. I can't see how they can even enforce it.

What if Mr. & Mrs. Jones leaves for work in the morning and all is clean. That afternoon the wind blows some trash from a neighbors trashcan or yard on to Mr. & Mrs. Jones curb. Then the "trash police" drive by before the the Jones' get home from work and have the chance to see it and pick it up. They get a fine???

Again, I can't see how they can enforce it. it's not about inforcing peole to clean up, its about making money. so you can't argue with the city. they designed it sothey can profit from the example you gave. the one thing they did outline, there are only 2, 2 hour periods they can get you, so people can have a heads up. ofcourse they're during working hours for most:rolleyes: the Mayor tried to stop the limit on inforcement, jackass he is.

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC
09-03-2004, 01:15 AM
Your a Lawn Care Company not a garbage man. Not your job not your problem. Id make all your customers aware of the new law and say something like "I can do anything you guys want, but its gonna cost you something."

impactlandscaping
09-03-2004, 01:29 AM
Adam, we had to deal with one HOA in particular about trash / debris issues. We were contracted to do a once a week debris / trash pickup in this neighborhood, along with complete turf/shrub/mulch/spray package as well. The weekly site visit included checking and cleaning the main entrance, and driving thru the approx. 1 mile of roads in the division, and picking up trash and debris. Well, there is boating access from another division at the end of this one, and young kids drive thru all the time to get to the lake, and many of them would throw garbage out the window on the way in. I had people calling me saying there was trash visible in the 'hood after we cleaned it up. They were wanting us to come back out after we had just been there.I explained to them they were on a 1 visit per week, per the agreement, and anything more would be more $$ per week.I couldn't control people littering intheir neighborhood, and you can't control it either. Simple..If you make the mess, you clean it up.If someone messes it up after you leave, not your problem.I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. We have trouble here with leaf cleanups in this one neighborhood. The city will ticket homeowners $ 100.00 for any leaves in the ditches on your property.Nevermind they have 4 super vac trucks to clean them up anyways.They actually tried to ticket a client 2 years ago for leaves that blew in her ditch from the neighbors.They tried to say she put them there..go figure..Sorry for the really long post....;)

HOOLIE
09-03-2004, 01:32 AM
Is this law part of what Rudy G. started, with the crackdown on petty crime to clean up the city? I guess it works, my cousin up in Brooklyn still has all his hubcaps, that's a change from past years.

I suppose you could charge a little more for the "add on" service- but if they got a ticket they'd probably want you to pay for it. Maybe just blow the garbage into the neighbors yard...LOL.

bobbygedd
09-03-2004, 07:25 AM
makes me wonder where we live. is this russia, or the usa? alot of laws are designed to create revenu, nothing else. alot of tickets are written, not because the party is guilty, but to bring in the cash. it's a fact.

HOMER
09-03-2004, 08:13 AM
All I can say is Roll Tide..............don't have that problem down here and our towns stay clean anyway.

qualitylandscaping
09-03-2004, 09:07 AM
Welcome to New York... That's all I can say.. This state has more BS taxes, fees, and other crap than any place I've ever been..:mad:

Eric 1
09-03-2004, 09:35 PM
I am glad i dont live were you live.:D

bigdaddyspags
09-04-2004, 12:57 AM
Imagine how many stupid laws would disappear if all laws had to be enforced 100% of the time on 100% of the population, no exceptions.