PDA

View Full Version : New Service to use as an add on?

1MajorTom
09-01-2004, 08:30 PM
I was just wondering if anyone has ever thought about doing this. I have never seen it mentioned here before, maybe it has, but my eyes never saw it. I was telling this to someone, and they told me they hated the idea!!! But I never listen to their opinion anyways...lol
I think it goes hand in hand with our line of work.

Gravesite Maintenance and Beautification
If you are unable to tend to your family's gravesites, don't let them go neglected. Let us do the work for you.
Headstone cleaning, edging, trimming and debris removal, planting of flowers, multiple grave discounts....

Whatcha think? Then there are the holidays to consider, Memorial Day, Labor Day, Christmas where relatives always want their loved one's grave decorated.... Out of state relatives that can't get back to maintain their deceased relatives site but want to....
I mean if you could get in with a funeral home director that would be willing to recommend your service....
Hey I don't think it's that bad of an idea...

Nope, we aren't thinking of doing it, just thought I'd throw it out there for anyone that may be looking for new add ons.

Opinions??

fga
09-01-2004, 08:33 PM
I stop weekly at my baby brothers grave, and weed the small bed i cut in, but never for money for anyone. the workers there always stare at me like i shouldn't be there. i fertilize it to make it stand out. maybe that's why the giys don't like me there, it grows more and faster.

olderthandirt
09-01-2004, 08:44 PM
ewww making money off the dead

Wish I had thought of it first becoase I would not of told anyone till I was rolling in dead folk money lol
Mac

CapnDean
09-01-2004, 08:57 PM
People just dying for you to serve them.

gogetter
09-01-2004, 09:05 PM
It's not for me, BUT, I think it's a great idea Jodi.
Like you said, especially if you can get the funeral home director or whoever's in charge of the cemetary to recommend you, someone could stay pretty busy with that.

KenH
09-01-2004, 09:06 PM
I do this for an existing customer. I have to tell the cemetery officials I am a relative as no one except for a relative is allowed for hire to work around the graves. Some union thing or something.

cntryboymc
09-01-2004, 09:33 PM
a guy does here where i live in upstate ny.ive talked to him,he claims to charge each gravesite $10/WEEK for only a few minutes of cleanup and plant care.i hope he does the whole cemetery to make it worth while.

fga
09-01-2004, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by CapnDean
People just dying for you to serve them. that's not funny.

mowahman
09-01-2004, 09:45 PM
I ( through my Company) have been maintaining our Town cemeteries for 9 years now, and the last thing I like to see is an unkept bed or the single potted geranium that gets dropped at the headstone for Memorial Day and then the owners' get all pissy when we have to throw it away because no one has watered it and it's now July. If I had my way, I would not allow ANY flowers, plants, shrubs, bushes, wreaths, bird baths, windmills, whirlygigs....just FLAT,FLUSH headstones and grass. If you look at pics of Arlington National Cemetery, you can see a neat and orderly layout. That is my idea of what a cemetery should look like, not one stone maintained by family daily next to another that gets the Memorial Day maintenance treatment.

Your idea may fly in your neck of the woods, but here, some florist offer this service and in 9 years, I know of only one "lot" that they have someone maintain it for them.

crawdad
09-01-2004, 10:04 PM
Been there, done that, 20 years ago, it's never good enough for the departed one's kin folk. I replaced the topsoil, put in some beautiful turf, but it didn't look as good after a while as the grave nearby that the lady was there every day watering( her late husbands grave) so the guy was never really happy.
This was one of those cemetaries, that if you wanted a grave to be green, you better have a water bucket.
Crawdad

fcl01
09-01-2004, 10:50 PM
wouldnt be the first time i checked the obituaries for a new job!!
sick, i know.

jerryrwm
09-01-2004, 11:20 PM
The Glenwood Cemetary in Houston, TX requires folks to landscape the plots including retaining walls, shrubs, annuals and some even put in irrigation systems with solor powered LEIT controllers.

Howard Hughes is buried there. It is a very exclusive cemetary to say the least.

Then the cemetary charges the family to maintain the plots.