PDA

View Full Version : yellow spots

lawnboy
09-01-2004, 09:27 PM
a couple of the properties that i take care of, are turning a yellowish color in spots. It appears as if grubs are in the property as well but when i do the test i come up empty. There are also a couple of small brown out spots like a dog went on it. Any thoughts? Is it grubs causing this?

James Cormier
09-01-2004, 09:32 PM
Test??? You mean you tear up the lawn and look for the grubs right? If it is grubs you will see them right under the thatch, the lawn should pull back like carpet.

If no grubs present then someting else is causing the yellow spots, without photos we wouldnt be able to help you

lawnboy
09-01-2004, 09:36 PM
Yeh i need to get a photo, the yellow spots are on throughtout the lawn. Almost like the grass is turning yellow. I did look under the turn and didnt see any grubs. Doesnt mean they are not there. Do grubs cause the turn to turn yellowish?

James Cormier
09-01-2004, 09:39 PM
one mans yellow is anothers brown, so thats a tough one, however if it was grubs you would see them, you need alot per sq ft to damage turf.

lawnboy
09-01-2004, 09:41 PM
it is not brown, it is yellow. There are brown spots in the yard though, that is why i'm not rulling out grubs.

James Cormier
09-01-2004, 09:45 PM
Again if you dont see grubs then its safe to rule it out, believe me if grubs are killing the lawn you will see them.

Could be......chinch, bill bugs,leaf spot, fursium blight, dog piss, deer piss, or any other hundred or so problems that would kill the lawn, it nearly impossible for someone to solve it this way

lawnboy
09-01-2004, 09:47 PM
i will get pics tomarrow, just hoping someone else might have a similar problem

lawnboy
09-02-2004, 05:10 PM
this picture doesnt really do it justice. The sun took away from some of the yellowish collor to it. It is only in spots, like 5X5 areas, but seems to be spreading.

lawnboy
09-02-2004, 05:12 PM
this picture doesnt really do it justice. The sun took away from some of the yellowish collor to it. It is only in spots, like 5X5 areas, but seems to be spreading. It is not lack of water, we have had lots of rain here.

grassguy_
09-02-2004, 08:45 PM
Lawnboy,
looks like dollar spot setting in on the lawns, keep the fertility rate up and if the homeowners water, have them do it early in the morning to wash off the spreading of the Mycellium, no watering late day, and bag the clippings if possible!!!

lawnboy
09-03-2004, 08:15 AM
Thanks, i will try this. You think aerating might help as well?