PDA

View Full Version : funny looking grass?

lawnboy
09-01-2004, 09:39 PM
I have a few lawn that are getting a odd type of grass in it. It appears as if an ornimental grass is forming in the lawn, and spreading throughout. The grass looks like a ryegrass that is being torn. Maybe by dull blades or weedwhipper? Any way of controling this?

James Cormier
09-01-2004, 09:41 PM
I think your questions are a little to vauge, you would be best to post a few photos of trouble spots, Or hire a pro to help you with your lawns.

lawnboy
09-01-2004, 09:44 PM
lol, i am the pro thanks for asking. Just having some problems today. just wonderin if anyone else has the same problems

James Cormier
09-01-2004, 09:59 PM
i dont mean any disrespect by this, but by judging by your questions i get the feeling your not a " turf pro"

I work for many landscapers that have very successful lawn mowing businesses but dont know anything about turf grass.

I meet many customers during the course of the year that have been fed some wrong info on turf problems by people that just dont know what there talking about.

Im not saying this is you, however, I would venture a guess if you where a licensed applicator with experience you would know what that " funny looking grass" was. Or what would be causing those yellow spots.

lawnboy
09-01-2004, 10:40 PM
i am a licensed applicator actually. Just new at it, and am having some problems with a couple of things i have never seen.

MrBarefoot
09-01-2004, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by lawnboy
i am a licensed applicator actually. Just new at it, and am having some problems with a couple of things i have never seen.

What part of MI do you service? If you want me to come by and take a look I would be happy to. And I promise I won't try to steal your customer?

How long have you been in the application biz?

Tscape
09-02-2004, 06:49 AM
Originally posted by James Cormier
i dont mean any disrespect by this, but by judging by your questions i get the feeling your not a " turf pro"

I work for many landscapers that have very successful lawn mowing businesses but dont know anything about turf grass.

I meet many customers during the course of the year that have been fed some wrong info on turf problems by people that just dont know what there talking about.

Im not saying this is you, however, I would venture a guess if you where a licensed applicator with experience you would know what that " funny looking grass" was. Or what would be causing those yellow spots.

Nice condescention.

B&B
09-02-2004, 07:02 AM
Mr. Lawnboy, If you own a computer try typing in Michigan turf grass, your state should have a web site with more info than you would ever want to know. This is a Great forum but sometimes you have to do a little homework.

lawnboy
09-02-2004, 05:06 PM
here is the pic....

lawnboy
09-02-2004, 05:20 PM
i'm on the other side of the state of michigan by kalamazoo. First year at this, just trying to learn. (james)

lawnboy
09-02-2004, 08:21 PM
come on 92 views and no one can tell me what this is?

grassguy_
09-02-2004, 08:37 PM
lawnboy,
looks from the pic that you have a problem with Brome, but hard to tell as the pic is a little fuzzy. We've had some this year in Ohio as well, not that often that you see it.

lawnboy
09-03-2004, 08:13 AM
What do u use on "broom." It almost looks like a cheap rye grass that is just tearing at the tips. It is spreading, and is seen in about 10 of the lawns that we mow. Any suggestions??

James Cormier
09-03-2004, 08:52 AM
I have a real hard time looking at photo's on this site, but to me it looks like bent going dormant, or just cut too tall.

lawnboy
09-03-2004, 08:56 AM
Its not that james. It is in blotches in the lawn. If u look at it from a distance, it looks like ornmimental grasses growing in the yard. The tips of the grass are torn.

grassguy_
09-04-2004, 11:38 AM
IF the frayed part to the top is not a seedhead then I'm not sure what you have there. I was assuming that the tops were panicles(seedheads) which leads me to believe its Brome or Cheatgrass. If this is true the only way to control it is to spot treat with Glyphosate(round-up).

lawnboy
09-04-2004, 09:42 PM
thought maybe another pic might help. It is not seed headed. I am lost on this one.

Turfguru
09-06-2004, 07:16 PM
Looks to be a sedge my man. Recently mowed off seed heads I would presume. Leaves are too green and glossy to be anything else. Try rolling a leaf between your fingers near the base of the plant.....if it feels triangular then you are dealing with a sedge weed. Good Luck.

TurfProSTL
09-06-2004, 08:35 PM
lawnboy,

You said it looks like rye. Could it be common perennial rye? ;)

"Common perennial ryegrass consistently showed poor cutting quality."

http://ohric.ucdavis.edu/Newsltr/CTC/ctcv24_2.pdf

trying 2b organic
09-07-2004, 12:50 AM
In the last pic it looks like poa. Interesting quote about Perrenial Rye. Its all we grow here and it is more difficult to get a good cut as compared to Kentucky Bluegrass i find. Its softer, finer, and it folds over more. A high lift blade will help you get a better cut our of P. Rye.

TurfProSTL
09-07-2004, 09:16 AM
^ I remember seeding an area in the late 70's with perennial rye VNS. Every time it was mowed, the tips shredded very badly.

I didn't think it was poa annua because I couldn't detect seedhead from the photos. It seems to seed all through its life cycle around here.....