PDA

View Full Version : hats

Little o
09-01-2004, 10:19 PM
What does everyone wear to cover their heads? I'm concerned that I'm gonna look like a prune when I'm 60. Any special sources for a wide brim, comfortable hat?

I'm not in business yet, but strangely but true, it pops into my head.

txlawnking
09-01-2004, 10:27 PM
Lots of folks here seem to like the Tilley brand hat..and they ain't cheap.. I just use a cheap "boonie" (think like Gilligan's hat) hats, they work for me.

Turf Medic
09-01-2004, 10:35 PM
http://www.tilley.com/

not cheap but guarenteed even against loss:D

Supertiger
09-01-2004, 10:38 PM
Ive started using small towels, it keeps all the sweat soaked up and the over hang keeps my neck from getting sun burned everyday. I'm worried about skin Cancer so this helps . I use the small towels like others wear bandannas. I know it makes me look like a dam Arib camel jocky but they do know how to survive in the hot sun.

qualitylandscaping
09-01-2004, 10:40 PM
John Deere baseball hat

Little o
09-01-2004, 10:51 PM
Thanks for the Tilley link. Now that's a commercial hat collection, you weren't kidding when you said it wasn't cheap. But it's a small price to pay when I get older. Between that, sunscreen and maybe loose fitting long sleeve cottor shirts I've done the best I can do for the career choosen.

This site is great, thanks guys

Doug

fga
09-01-2004, 10:57 PM
i'm sorry. those tilley hats look rediculous. give it back to the crocodile hunter and give me my gilligan or yankee cap..
i also have a gilligan hat with a yankee emblem on it, got it in the parking lot of yankee stadium.

Andyinchville2
09-01-2004, 11:22 PM
I wear the big straw hats they sell at K-mart, low price, plenty of protection and even a chin strap to keep it from blowing off your head....

Lbilawncare
09-01-2004, 11:29 PM
I saw a Mexican string trimming with a giant sombrero a few weeks ago, just about laughed myself off the mower. Must have weighed 25 lbs, I wonder if his boss knew. I wear regular baseball caps, www.stihlusa.com

Evan528
09-02-2004, 12:15 AM
lol, I actually had a mexican fellow who worked for me about 4 years ago that used to wear a sombrero to work every day.

My clients sure got a kick out of it! :D

txlawnking
09-02-2004, 12:18 AM
Adam, I agree the Tilley hats just scream "dweeb" LOL.. Llib, I WANT a sombrero.. they keep your entire upper body shaded.. And Super tiger, I have a bunch of "raghead" head dresses that I picked up in Iraq.. they really rock!! Keep you mega cool... But I finally quit wearing mine after about the 900th nasty look I got from folks.. They are really comfortable though...Just don't want to "scare off" any potential work..

DALMlawn&landscaping
09-02-2004, 12:33 AM
i'm gonna start wearing a huge sombrero, that sounds like a lot of fun cruising around in something that'll keep your whole mower shaded :D :cool: seriously, haha, this is a new idea for me, i'll take a picture next time i work i'll be wearing one!

ElephantNest
09-02-2004, 12:35 AM
I have two Tilley hats, and love them both. I've gotten compliments on both of them. Dweeb? lol And a giligan hat isn't?

Just like everything else, you get what you pay for.

lawncare3
09-02-2004, 01:16 AM
All the competition here wears hats like this : HATS (http://www.acdi-cida.gc.ca/INET/IMAGES.NSF/vLUImages/sae-aipe5/$file/asian_hat_ladie.jpg)

fga
09-02-2004, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by ElephantNest
I have two Tilley hats, and love them both. I've gotten compliments on both of them. Dweeb? lol And a giligan hat isn't?

Just like everything else, you get what you pay for. its more of a fisherman's hat.. the tilley hets makes me want to say, in my best austrailian accent..."Danger, Danger, Danger..."

txlawnking
09-02-2004, 09:41 AM
I stick to my guns... Definatelly a "dweeb" hat...LOL. Lawncare 3, that pic had me ROTF!!!

Adam, I didn't know the "Lost in Space" robot, "Robby", was an Aussie??!! Danger! Danger!, Will Robinson!!! ROTFLOL...

jug head
09-02-2004, 09:52 AM
Try a $15 truckstop straw cowboy hat--throw a bandanna inside for the sweat and your good to go-- the more worn out it gets--the more the chicks dig it!

Up North
09-02-2004, 10:45 AM
I just wear a Vikings or Twins ball cap. I have to be able to slide my Peltor Worktunes on when I mow. On really hot, sunny days I turn it around so the bill covers the back of my neck, but turn it back around as soon as I'm done loading back up so customers don't think I'm some punk.

How would you use Peltors with a Tilly or sombrero?? The sombrero could almost double as a satelite dish, maybe I could get satelite radio if wore one...:D

Buck