PDA

View Full Version : Bottoming out mower decks when loading

Turf Dancer
09-02-2004, 02:07 AM
When we got our LazerZHP we found out that our 4' gate was too steep of an angle to load it, The dealer used a set of aluminum multipurpose ramps to load it, the next morning I had to build a 30" wood ramp to drop the 4' trailer gate on in order to unload it or load it. My current trailer has a 20 1/2" deck height so it is steep. My question is how does everyone load their ZTR's without having problems with both the grade and bottoming out the deck when loading? The dealer said they would not cover deck damage due to dragging and that certainly makes sense. So how does everyone load without dragging their decks with a 4' gate ? My next trailer will have drop axles and a 5' 4" gate.

PMLAWN
09-02-2004, 02:11 AM
Can you get a different draw bar for your hitch, get the ball up a few inches and the tail will drop and you will have less breakover.

PMLAWN
09-02-2004, 02:14 AM
If that does not work than add an extenison to the gate and build up under the hinge area on the first section so you end up with a longer gate

Turf Dancer
09-02-2004, 02:18 AM
I would do that if I were going to keep the current trailer for long, I am getting a new larger trailer this fall. I was curious with most all trailers coming with a standard 4' gate how everyone was loading without bottoming out or not being able to get up the ramp.

bottlefed89
09-02-2004, 02:18 AM
My Super surfer drags getting off the trailer. I have 4.5" lift on the truck and 36" tires, so the nose of the trailer is already way up there. I just carry a 4x4 about 5 ft. long and put it uder the end of the ramp. Makes a little bump at the end, but I just go slow and it's a lot less work than fixing it right.

PMLAWN
09-02-2004, 02:55 AM
Just be safe!!! A friend in my hood was putting his lawn tractor on his small trailer with wooded ramps and sliped off. The tractor rolled over on him and broke his back. They think he will be ok but as this just happened Sunday they are not sure yet.
He was not cutting the grass but had just bought a new house and was moving the tractor. Does not put it on a trailer and therefore had a second rate ramp setup but I have seen LCO's with some junk ramps and it is easy to get hurt.
Just be careful.