PDA

View Full Version : Best option for seeding(no slit seeder available)

gml9
09-02-2004, 10:00 AM
Got a call to do a lawn reno., only the front yard(40 x 50ft). None of the local rental places carry a slit seeder so I was wonder what the next best approach would be. My plan is to mow short, kill existing lawn, 2way aerate, thatch/dethach, and seed/starter fertilizer. Debating on light covering with straw or cow manure...do I need to do this. The house is newer construction which probably didn't get any quality topsoil added after the rough grade.....go figure.

Any help or tips would be appreciated. All the houses in this place are like this. If I can establish this lawn....more work to come. What price would you charge for this? I'm thinking 1200 roughly, depending what all I need to do.

gml9
09-02-2004, 11:23 AM
Good news...located a slit seeder. So now I'm going to mow, kill existing lawn, 2way aerate, and slit seed, water daily.

Do I need to thatch. Should I fertilize the lawn with a broadcast spreader after slit seeding.

gvandora
09-02-2004, 10:35 PM
I was going to suggest you try Home Depot for a slit seeder. Around here they rent them.

D Felix
09-03-2004, 12:47 AM
I'd suggest you make a drive to Indiana and buy the one we don't need any more.:D

I wouldn't worry about de-thatching. The slit seeder will cut through the thatch just fine. Don't try to remove any of it, unless there is an un-godly amount, then, yes, de-thatch first, then slit seed. Broadcast starter fert after dethatching.

You might also want to consider running a core aerator around in between de-thatching (if necessary) and seeding.

Dan

jphag
09-18-2004, 12:21 AM
Heres what I do and it works great. Depending on the existing yard I will rake it throughly so theres no dead grass or needles. I will aerate if the soil is compacted, I will bring in a quality top soil or compost mix and layer a thin layer enough for the seed to to be raked in 1/2 inch. Apply a 3 way grass seed mix with one of the seeds being rye because it germinates in 5 to 18 days. Rake the seed in and apply a 22-22-10 fertilizer. Finally I water 3 times a day and never let the soil dry out until seed has germinated. After 3-4 weeks I start decreasing the water and through a Little more seed in the bare areas and after 6-8 weeks the seeded area looks great

jphag
09-18-2004, 12:22 AM
I've never used or heard of a slit seeder. What is it?

Coffeecraver
09-18-2004, 07:44 AM
:)

Slit-seeders are useful for lawn renovation projects. Slit-seeders combine vertical mowing with seeding. As the machine goes across the lawn, it opens the soil and deposits seed directly into the soil opening. Most slit-seeders have a roller that helps firm the soil after seeding. Seed is metered at a predetermined rate; it's suggested to apply half the desired seeding rate in one direction and the other half on a second pass perpendicular to the first.

Since the seed is placed in direct contact with the soil, seeding success is usually high when using slit-seeders. In addition, existing grass and debris does not need to be completely removed prior to the overseeding process. Timing should be the same as for conventional lawn seeding, which ideally would be late August into early September. Many rental agencies carry slit-seeders.

jphag
09-18-2004, 11:42 AM
So are you saying you can use a slit seeder over an existing lawn that has alot of bare areas?

Thanks,

D Felix
09-18-2004, 12:03 PM
Yes you can.

They are also good for seeding into a lawn that has a lot of weeds and little grass.

Dan

timturf
09-18-2004, 10:44 PM
my experience with a silt seeder, very little of the sed gets good soil to seed contact, unless the soil density is very poor

trying 2b organic
09-21-2004, 02:53 AM
I cant find a slit seeder to rent. Is it possible since our lawns are almost straight rye grass and unlike bluegrass it wont "fill in" that slit seeding wouldnt work cause it would create silly looking rows of grass? This grass variety thing is my only guess as to why no-one in this area uses this tool.