PDA

View Full Version : Trimmer Advice Needed

Grassroots
05-25-2000, 03:34 PM
I own a small lawn care company and we have been using HomeLite Trimmers up until now. I am planning to purchase a commercial grade trimmer this week and am seeking advice to which would be the best chioce on three available (on our budget). <p>1) Shindiawa 22T :22cc (made for res. use)$199.00<br>2) Echo SRM 2100 : 21.2cc (low end commercial) $199.00<br>3) Stihl FS80 : 25.4cc (comm. use) $279.00<p>For the price, which is the best selection. I have heard good things about both Shindiawa and Sthil, but have had mixed results from our ECHO products in the past (one bad machine out of three). Any advice and/or recommendations will be apprecaited. <p><p>----------<br>Mike Reynolds,<br>Grass Roots Lawn Care (Fla)

GRASSCHOPPERS
05-25-2000, 03:46 PM
I have two T230s and think they work great price is 250.00 but but worth it dont know much about the others so i cant say which is best but i would go for commercial not residential grade just in case you need warranty work done they cant say you misused it

Grassroots
05-25-2000, 03:47 PM
I would like to add to my original post that the Stihl Trimmer is cable driven while the other two are straight shaft driven. The Stihl is heavy but balanced well. The Shindy is light and balanced well. The Echo is average weight but feels somewhat akward.<p>----------<br>Mike Reynolds,<br>Grass Roots Lawn Care (Fla)

Toroguy
05-25-2000, 05:33 PM
Mike, <br>My Homelite died a few weeks ago, I have finished my mourning period. My choice for a replacement was between the Stihl FS-80 and the Shindy T-230. I went with the T-230, it was $5.00 less.<p>RedMax is also popular...use the search button above to view the many previous discussions on this topic.

HOMER
05-25-2000, 07:12 PM
The Stihl also has a lifetime warranty on that cable so there is no risk involved there. I haven't had any problems with mine and will buy another one.<p>Homer

scottt
05-25-2000, 07:23 PM
I used cheap trimmers until this year when I bought a stihl fs80. I love it and it has a lot more power than the cheap trimmers. I haven't had any problems with it but I don't know about long term reliability.

Grassroots
05-25-2000, 07:41 PM
Glad to hear that the Stihl has a lifetime warranty on the cable. That was my major concern with the Stihl. Good info, Thanks.<br>

grasscapeinc
05-25-2000, 08:50 PM
Get the redmax 2300. Best one.

lawnby
05-26-2000, 12:40 AM
ILL SECOND THAT.........<br>RED MAX 2300 SERIES<br>USED BOTH RED MAX AND ECHO AND LOVE THE RED MAX. (COST MORE) BUT THE FEW EXTRA BUCKS ARE WORTH IT......

Grasshopper
05-26-2000, 12:45 AM
Echo SRM-2601 - $299.00. Great machine and very light.

Acute Cut
05-26-2000, 01:38 AM
I know i never see any words of love for tanaka, but i love them. I have one, 7mm shaft driven, 41 cc motor (I think, i am not a mechanic, use my dealer alot) but i know it kicks but. Here is my modo. BIGGER!<p>With the biggest most comfortable trimmer in your hands you can never run into the problem of not having too little power. My new trimmer is gonna be 18 lbs. Who cares? It just means ill get stronger. My old one, which still runs perfectly, is 15 lbs. Tanaka is the brand for me. I used to use echo, but they have nothing that interests me with the power i want. <p>Second note: Dont get the bullhorn models. I personally cant stand them. It makes it very difficult to line trim an edge. Go to your dealer and ask for the biggest trimmer (NON bull handle) to demo. Try it. Better to have too much power than too little. AND, with the big models you never have to upgrade like i hear MANY of the other postee's doing. Know what i mean. <br>Have a good one ya'll.

rixtag
05-26-2000, 09:49 AM
I have heard alot of good things about maruyama? and redmax both very popular in utah. I am interested in what you all think about Toro Proline trimmers?<p>Thanks ahead of time

southside
05-26-2000, 10:08 AM
Stihl are the only way to go.<p>Karl<br>

Grassroots
05-26-2000, 05:25 PM
Does Redmax have any models in the $250 price range? That is our budget give or take $10.00.<p><p>----------<br>Mike Reynolds,<br>Grass Roots Lawn Care (Fla)

AB Lawn Care
05-26-2000, 06:09 PM
I will be honest with you Grassroots.I have never used a shin or echo.But what I can tell you is that I have been useing sthil 6 years now.Every peice of sthil equipment I have bought in that 6 years is still running and might I add running AWSOME.My first trimmer (FS 76) like I said is still running awsome it has run 6 years now.If I where you I would buy the FS 80.I also own one of those.But it is $80 more WHY BUY IT?Becouse it will out last those lighter models.If that trimmer only lasts 1 more year than the others than it would be worth it!The other guys are right,Sthil has a life time warranty on that shaft and also the straight solid shaft.And trust me the sthil may be a little heavier than the others but your arms will get use to it in no time flat.HEY maby you will get arms the size of tree trunks from that little extra weight!LOL!Hope this will help.<p>P.S. southside-you took my words right out of my mouth!<p>----------<br>from:Adam<br>AB Lawn Care

Grassroots
05-26-2000, 06:20 PM
Thanks for the advice Adam. I think we are going to go with Stihl. Most of the people I've talked to have been split half and half on whether they like they Echo and Shins but everyone I've talked to has liked their Stihl. <p>----------<br>Mike Reynolds,<br>Grass Roots Lawn Care (Fla)

AB Lawn Care
05-26-2000, 10:07 PM
I glad to have helped out!Give me an email any time you need advice!I my not allways have an answer but I like to help when I can!<p>----------<br>from:Adam<br>AB Lawn Care

mowerman90
05-26-2000, 10:34 PM
I've been using an Echo 2501 cable drive since 1992. Do over 70 lawns a week with it and it still runs like a top. Last year I purchased an Echo 2601 solid shaft (the 2501's replacement) for $299. It's just as powerful, yet lighter and easier to handle. So far I haven't had any problems with it either. This particular model Echo has 4 bolts holding the jug on the crankcase, while the Stihl has just 2. Common sense says 4 is better that 2 any day.

Jason
05-27-2000, 10:15 AM
I have a new Shindaiwa T270 that works great, tons of power. That's my frontline trimmer. But I also have a Stihl FS36. It's a homeowner unit that I inherited from my father. Not sure of the age, but think it's 10 years old. That old Stihl runs like a top, never been any problems. Sure it never got the day in day out use of commercial duty, but it has been a good trimmer. It's very light has decent power for it's size. Don't like the curved shaft though. Plus the Shindy flat out eats it for lunch. But it does make a nice backup.

Flex-Deck
05-29-2000, 05:48 PM
Mike, I bought a 350G John Deere 9 years ago and it was made by Echo. The head consistantly advances string, and dirt does not seem to clog it. It is still running like a charm and it get used. I don't know how many cc's and such but it is a commercial grade.

crew
05-29-2000, 06:11 PM
Mike,I concur with Jason- spend the extra 50.oo and get the t270.Mine is unstoppable.I just used it at home to clear 3-4' tall weed area for a garden.I cleared an area about 25x25 to the dirt in about seven minutes.Its a bit heavier than the t 230(I have one of those too)but it works great and you can add a power broom or brush blade and not be sorry.

grasscapeinc
05-29-2000, 08:06 PM
We have just about all models. Go for the REdMax 2300 You will NOT be disappointed. <br>Go to www.alamia.com for a better plrice. THat is where I get mine. Stihls are great, but the mechanics, and detail of the REdMax is better. I'm speaking from experience.

JohnyNCa
05-31-2000, 07:55 PM
I have both trimmers : echo srm 2100 and stihl fs80. The echo is my workhorse as i use it everyday on about 5-7 lawns per day and it still keeps running after 1 year with no problems. The stihl i love as well, but i mainly use it when i need the power to trim something down way low, its the noisier of the two but its because of its power. I work in sound sensitive areas so i use the less noisier echo. I would try them both out before u made a purchase...good luck!