PDA

View Full Version : How do you find good employees?

reneekrause
09-02-2004, 03:56 PM
Need some help! We are in our 12th year of business and for the past three years we have had 16 employees, started with the temp services, nothing but problems. My husband is the technician and would like to be the owner. We have taken inexperienced people and experienced. Plus he is getting beat to death, this industry is very hard on you as you age especially in Florida.

He would like to be respected as the boss and not treated as one of the guys and doesn't want to be a parent. It is difficult to deal with employees faults when you are right there. (So he says, if you haven't guessed, we disagree here.) So far I have done the reviews of the employees.

We have hired single guys and family men, we have even hired a few women (which by the way were our best employees so far, although they cannot take the hard work environment.)

We currently have one guy who is #17 and so far regarding experience is the best - yes there is a "But" - he never arrives at the scheduled time, cannot admit he is wrong, always someone else's fault, and manhandles the accounts and equipment, talks incessantly, uses company phone for personal, cannot manage his weekly paycheck, and last but least after only 7.5 week of employment thinks he deserves a raise! He was only on time the first two weeks. Is good points is he is enthusiastic, looks forward to running a crew and mows the right account!

I have spoken to him repeatedly about his tardiness and we are reluctant to start the hiring process and training all over again. It takes so much time. We interviewed him twice before hiring him. He interviewed great! We asked all the right questions, even so called "sneaky" questions. Should we cut our losses? My husband is to the point of cutting loose all business but the premier accounts and going solo again.

Is there any employees out there who want a decent dependable job with a future career? We have been trying to find our first employee who has management potential, should we just seek the laborer (crew member) first?
Any help comments or such would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

:)

Harry0
09-02-2004, 08:31 PM
This is a high turn-over business-You have to be creative in keeping your employees-We offer benifits-but most young guys could care less about Health Ins and pensions-Be flexable and remember there are no workers that are going to work as hard as you..And you need to be ok with that. Be good , fair and generous with your employees. I try to get family involved as soon as I can.. Good luck and keep looking for good employees-Harry