PDA

View Full Version : do u pay employees lunch hrs.?

SERRICO
09-02-2004, 05:40 PM
Does anyone pay employee's lunch hour?
Plus lunch.

reneekrause
09-02-2004, 05:49 PM
Well, yes we do the employee we have is salaried since he is in training for a supervisory position. Most lunch time is a sandwich grabbed during a break however.
Since it is hard to offer benefits being a small company(85 accounts) this is one little perk. The expense though is theirs. On occasion we treat, like the day before payday.

fga
09-02-2004, 05:51 PM
i do now, but if i wind up with several employees, forget it. that would add up fast.

Ken Kesey
09-02-2004, 05:52 PM
Absolutely not.

All employees must take a 30 minute lunch break that is unpaid.

On special occasions, I'll pick up the tab.

CamLand
09-02-2004, 05:54 PM
My employees are all salary so lunch is added in.I believe paying for a lunch for the crew. To get a great job from them everyday lunch is minimal expense...

locutus
09-02-2004, 06:47 PM
I would if they were a stellar performer. This would be a cheap fringe benefit for someone who was giving you 100%.

NNJLandman
09-02-2004, 07:01 PM
You guys are funny, your not gonna pay someone for their 30 min or even less lunch break, a person that busts ass all day. Hrmm interesting. My boss has about 7-10 employees, we all get paid hourly even during our break sometimes he even pays for lunch, I pay for his somedays and others he pays for mine. I know I've never taken longer then maybe 20 mins on lunch. Get food eat, talk, relax, then back to work full steam ahead.

Jeff

WeatherMan
09-02-2004, 07:57 PM
My guys and Gals get 1 hour lunch Break Paid, and I also provide thier Lunch 99% of the time. Lunch is a good time to cool off and relax half way though the day

mpblass
09-02-2004, 08:08 PM
I pay my guys by the job so in a sence they do get paid for lunch. It gives them an incentive to take a quick lunch and get back to work.

tiedeman
09-02-2004, 08:24 PM
nope, they (actually he) receives a 30 min unpaid lunch break

Harry0
09-02-2004, 09:22 PM
Bring your lunch and get 1/2 hour unpaid.

jug head
09-02-2004, 09:23 PM
lol--you guys are gonna love this!! we stop by Granny's everyday for lunch-- She Loves the sense of being needed, Make's my helpers (50 yr old nut and a 22 yr old drunk) feel like family, And lets me check on gram's everyday. I send my wife shopping on sunday for the week and she always buy's grams grocery's too. it's a 20 min lunch break--but I swear the boys come to work everyday looking forward to lunch with her.
I Don't believe any man should be hungry when he's expected to work hard all day! Fellow's we make a living with our help--Lets do what we can to make Life livable for them! I've been hungry before and it's no place a man should be.

impactlandscaping
09-03-2004, 01:00 AM
I buy every day. On landscape jobs, we take up to an hour for lunch, and on maintenance or mowing days, we may just grab something from the drive thru, and eat on the way to the next account. It's even cheaper now this week, with only one employee, but he eats enough for two anyways. It's a nice perk, and it's also a write off, so it's win-win for all...

dkeisala
09-03-2004, 01:05 AM
30 minute unpaid lunch if 8 or over hours worked. Bring it with you or stop and get something.

lawnwizards
09-03-2004, 01:11 AM
we don't get lunch breaks. we eat in the truck so in a sense, they are getting paid for lunch(drive time)... but they do get extra perks just to keep them motivated...(gatorade provided, etc....)

SWD
09-03-2004, 03:28 AM
I provide everything for my employees (3 of them).
Uniforms, socks, boots, even new underwear and yes, paid lunch time.
My schedule is rarely consistent from week to week, sometimes normal, sometimes insane.
On fridays (payday), once a week one of the employees pick where all of us go for lunch-and I buy.
For all of their hard work, loyalty and dedication I can buy them lunch.

Stephen M.
09-03-2004, 04:46 AM
Officially, NO to a paid lunch; but they get their paid breaks as required by law.

But here is the catch 22. If they eat on the go, like during the drive between jobs, they are paid for their "lunch". Labor Law is clear on this point, and a secretary is the best example:

Many secretaries eat their lunch at their desks and answer the phone while on "lunch break". Officially, they are on "lunch", but they are still "working" and doing their job. The law says that even though they are "required" to take a lunch, they are still working and MUST be paid for that part of the job.

So I tell my people its their option to take lunch or not take lunch. If they opt for lunch, its unpaid. If they opt to eat on the fly, its paid.

qualitylandscaping
09-03-2004, 09:11 AM
If they work over 6 hours, they do not get paid for a 30min lunch break.. When they know they are not getting paid to eat, they don't get lazy and turn the 30min break into a 85min break..

Tom-N-Texas
09-03-2004, 09:25 AM
Wow...I had no idea so many of you guys paid for your employees lunch. I have 3 guys and paying for lunch would add up fast! Even fast food would be at least $15 per day....that's $400 per month just for food...not to mention if you paid for the lunch break itself. wow maybe I'm just cheap.

dkeisala
09-03-2004, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by Tom-N-Texas
Wow...I had no idea so many of you guys paid for your employees lunch. I have 3 guys and paying for lunch would add up fast! Even fast food would be at least $15 per day....that's $400 per month just for food...not to mention if you paid for the lunch break itself. wow maybe I'm just cheap. No, you're just smart.

reneekrause
09-03-2004, 01:08 PM
Guess every owner depending on their company setup, how many employees, and the cost react differently to lunch time paid or unpaid, just make sure you abide by the employment laws of the state you are located. Then you will have less to worry about from a disgruntled employee.
Second, just do what is morally and ethically right. There are too many owners out there that seem to close the window to setting high ethics and morals.

AintNoFun
09-03-2004, 10:24 PM
this is funny... for the past 6 years in biz, i always paid guys for lunch.. but now that we have 11 guys and 3 crews im not always around.... so before when i was with the guys every min, they would eat and run... now i've been sneaking up on them. the eat and run has turned into a 30 min lunch... its really been burning my azz, so i changed the policy and everyone gets a 30 min, Unpaid lunch.......

Ken Kesey
09-03-2004, 10:30 PM
I'm with Tom.
Food adds up quick.

Bonuses are a better way to provide incentive.

Not food.