PDA

View Full Version : How fast do you mow?

BobbyKnight
09-02-2004, 05:58 PM
Yesterday I posted about possibly getting an account that was up to 7 acres. A lot of posts talked about how quick they could get it done and based their pricing from that, along with various other little things. I was just curious to how fast most of you mow. I know what I see when I'm out and about, and I know what I do. When I bought my first ztr, a dealer told me that the average garden tractor would mow at 2-3 mph. He said the average commercial ztr would go up to 10-12 mph, but the average mower probably cuts at a speed of 6 mph. My own lawn consists of about 4 acres. With my garden tractor I had, it would take me close to 5 hours, and that was with a 50 in. deck on my mower. Now, I have a 54 in. deck, and it takes a little less than 2 1/2 hours. Now, I'm no math wizard, but my time has been cut in half, which makes since, due to what he said. But some of the posts from yesterday said they were doing 4, 5, 6, or 7 acres in 1 to 1 1/2 hours. What's more important: speed or a quality cut? Will speed still get a quality cut? Just curious. What are your thoughts and recommendations on this topic?

Cobra Jock
09-02-2004, 09:04 PM
Let's use an example, say a Hustler Super Z with a 24HP Honda with a 60 inch deck. The manufacturer states that the mower will go 15 M.P.H. however, most people fail to realize is that speed is a "transport" speed. I.E. moving from one location to another. Yes, you can turn the blades on, slam the levers all the way forward, and drive across a lawn, but the quality of cut on 99% of the lawns in America is going to suck, especially if you have a mulch kit installed! 8-10 miles per hour is making good time mowing most lawns (1 weeks growth). The lawn better be smooth also. And, finally, some people need to buy new WATCHES!

brentsawyer
09-02-2004, 10:03 PM
My 52" is very accurately timed at 2-2.2 acres per hour on flat ground depending on trees and grass thickness. That is what I base my calculations on for bidding.

Mikes Lawn Landscape
09-02-2004, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by brentsawyer
My 52" is very accurately timed at 2-2.2 acres per hour on flat ground depending on trees and grass thickness. That is what I base my calculations on for bidding.

That is an accurate figure anything substantially higher is BS