PDA

View Full Version : Burmuda (Wire Grass) ?

rcav8er
09-02-2004, 09:21 PM
Any suggestions on cutting Burmuda. I'm having a problem getting a clean cut. Deck just seems to push the stalks over and pass right by. I'm running a 48" belt drive and cutting very slow
(2nd gear) but doesn't seem to make a difference.
Granted these stalks are approx 8 - 10" high, about 7 days of growth.
Of course Round-Up works!

locutus
09-02-2004, 09:25 PM
Are your blades sharp? The only problem I have on my Burmuda lawns is the "scalped" appearence of the lawn after I mow. This is due to the fact that you tend to expose the rhysomes/stallions, especially on common Burmuda.

barnard
09-02-2004, 10:24 PM
sharp blades- side discharge and don't let it get so tall . 10 inches is way too high.

out4now
09-03-2004, 01:00 AM
!0 inches is way to tall, take only a third at any one cut. If it's a regular account and not a as needed situatuion try using Primmo-Max Plant Growth Regulator. Slow it down and less clippings to haul. If you mulch or side discharge then a PGR will also help clippings break down faster. Like Bernard said use a really sharp blade.

Tider6972
09-03-2004, 01:37 AM
Are you sure you've got Bermudagrass? Sounds like Dallisgrass or (shudder) Bahai, maybe ?

If it's Dallis or Bahai, cut it at 2 or 2 1/2 inches, with very sharp blades....don't necessarily expect to get it all in one pass:mad:

out4now
09-03-2004, 01:40 AM
I think he's refering to Giant Bermuda , but a pic. sure would help in ID.

Envy Lawn Service
09-03-2004, 01:40 AM
Originally posted by Tider6972
Are you sure you've got Bermudagrass? Sounds like Dallisgrass or (shudder) Bahai, maybe ?

If it's Dallis or Bahai, cut it at 2 or 2 1/2 inches, with very sharp blades....don't necessarily expect to get it all in one pass:mad:
Yep... no stalks on bermuda... 10" runners down on the ground maybe...

out4now
09-03-2004, 02:11 AM
Consult Richard Duble's book on turfgrass Chapter 4 about southern turfgrasses where he describes Giant Bermuda as a contaminat in the eastern US. He states that upright stems can reach as high as 2 feet but are usually between 12 and 18 inches. The book is actually from Texas A&M but I've found it quite useful over the years. If you don't know what you're cutting get a good piece of it and take it to your local cooperative extension service and get them to tell you how best to care for it. I took many courses through Uof A 's extension when I was still active in the filed and they were inexpensive and gave lots of good info. People brought in all types of stuff they had questions about.

Envy Lawn Service
09-03-2004, 02:25 AM
Giant Bermuda...
Never heard of it...
Learn something new every day!

Richard Martin
09-03-2004, 04:52 AM
Sharpen your blades as close to the center hole as possible. It works wonders on tall, stalky grass.

HOMER
09-03-2004, 08:16 AM
It's probably bahai.............sharp blades and even double blades help a lot. 48" decks don't cut it as well as say a 60" or 72". Just try and cut it when it has some moisture in it.......when it dries out it's really tough to get it all.

Never heard of giant bermuda.

Richard Martin
09-03-2004, 02:12 PM
http://www.bermudagrass.com/info/giant.html

stevesmowing
09-03-2004, 02:20 PM
What are your blade spaces at? I just recently Moved mine from 3 between the blade and spindle to 4 leaving only 1 on top now. It is making a big differece. I keep the height the same by adjusting the caster spaces out front. Each one raises or lowers the deck .25, same as the blade spaces.