PDA

View Full Version : who mulches!

snowmizer
09-02-2004, 10:28 PM
man i cant take it anymore.I have a exmark tt 48" that i put the mulching kit on, around june. since installing it was raining 5 out of 7 days religously and i had to do alot of double cutting cause the grass was growing like mad. so it gets to be late august i put the bagger back on , figure might as well fall is coming anyways.well we have 2 weeks with little rain and i am now reminded of how much i hate bagging grass. so my question is whats the hot set up when mulching? what blades to run? (i had factory mulchers) and how to keep the deck from caking so bad?
I cannot believe how much time i saved mulching.I am a solo outfit right now and with the days getting shorter i need to speed it up!!!

Premo Services
09-02-2004, 10:58 PM
I have the turf tracer just like you and when it is raining like this and the cool nites I side discharge all lawns, no bagging till the fall when leaves are heavy. The wavy blades seem to do the best for me, I tried low lifts, gator mulchers, and other blades and none did any good. I do not know why you are baggging the lawns. We have had a great year for growing grass here and the humidity and cool nites make it wet and thick to cut. If there is a row of hay after making first pass, I go back over in higher gear, doesn't take too long to do or I will use the brick blower(red maX 7001) to disperse the clippings and go on. I used to bag when it was thick but that is a real PITA and a half. It will cake up the underside of the deck with mulch kit, but you have to clean it more often....

Acute Cut
09-03-2004, 01:27 AM
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=59942&highlight=mulch+kit

Check out the last three pics. You can go from mulching to bagging in less than one minute this way. (And back just as fast)

snowmizer
09-03-2004, 09:36 AM
that is a sweet set up!! what about the inner baffles when side disharging? i end up bagging 50% of my yards mostly residential that have lots of landscaped beds just seems to be easier for me than trying to dodge them all

Acute Cut
09-03-2004, 10:07 AM
Grass will still travel from baffle to baffle. Not as much as without but some still does. And what doesnt travel gets MULCHED!

Ryan Lightning
09-03-2004, 11:44 AM
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=80688

I did the same thing as Acute cut, in the above post, except i used a ocdc. I think his way probally works better, because when i close the ocdc it will leave a trail of grass. Im going to add the left over section to the old mulch plate like Acute did. When side discharging and bagging it works really good.

snowmizer
09-03-2004, 01:06 PM
so you can still bag if need be with that setup? how good will it bag for leaves? im putting my mulcher back on and will work on that setup acute lawn has. thanks for the info

snowmizer
09-03-2004, 01:21 PM
acute lawn,

so basically you just cut the discharge side baffle then welded it to the block off plate and braced as needed? can you still bag without leaving a trail even though the other 2 chambers are baffled?

GTLC
09-03-2004, 03:38 PM
Well, I don't have a mulching kit but I do use Gator mulchers with side discharge and they work really well, any really thick lawns you mow won't be a very bigh mess of clippings.

out4now
09-03-2004, 03:59 PM
From original post : "keep the deck from caking so bad"

I learned this trick from a guy who retired out many years ago. Depending on the grass your're dealing with it may not work but here's what I tried. I used to mow a lot of perenial rye in the winter and it was usually wet so we power washed the underside of the mower deck and coated it with liquid floor wax. Everything when out of the chute and rinsed clean really easy. When we washed down the equipment and did our oil changing and greesing each week we'd reapply it. Worked well on our JD and Bobcat push mowers as well.

snowmizer
09-03-2004, 10:18 PM
hey out4now where in AZ are you located? I have family in prescott. as far as the wax go thats pretty wild i have been coating with wd-40 after i scrap my decks ,works better than nothing

Liberty Lawncare
09-03-2004, 10:23 PM
I discharge or bag. If I bag I charge extra $5,$10,$15 depending on the size of the lawn.

out4now
09-03-2004, 10:24 PM
Located in Scottsdale, go to school at ASU East.

Gilla Gorilla
09-04-2004, 12:04 AM
I have mulched on my 36 wb Metro HP for 2 months now and it is a great time saver. Yeah sometimes in heavy growth where the customer loves there new irrigation system you might have to double cut it or blow the lawn after mowing the first time but it sure beats the hell out of bagging and wasting all of that time.

I have one prop that the customer wanted me to bag so I did it four times the fastest that I could do it in was 56 minutes and ten stops to empty the grasshopper, once I got the mulching kit on it went down to 42 minutes both times were busting some serious but when cutting trimming and edging.

I just mounted a mulching kit on my 60" Lazer Wednsday night and it works great also, some times it leaves some clumps when turning but that is on the props that are irrigated regularly. Just blow them off when your done mowing.

Needless to say for this time of year I love them

snowmizer
09-04-2004, 09:58 PM
gilla gorilla,
got my attention that you just put one on your 60" lazer. when i bought my lazer this year (60") i asked about putting the mulch kit on and my dealer said do not waste your money that they do not work good and nobody runs it? then i said why do they even make the kit? did not really get any kind of answer to that one though. I mean if you can mulch with your 60" i definately should not have any problems with my TT 48". but it just seems that the cut is not as nice and it does clump in the thick stuff. I bought the anti blowout baffles but i have yet to put them on. all i know is i can not stand bagging

Gilla Gorilla
09-04-2004, 10:35 PM
Snowmizer,

I try to plan my route so that I get to the crappy lawns or the ones where apperance does not matter that much to the home owners are done earlier in the day. Or where I use the 36 instead of the Lazer in the morning where the lawns are still wet from the dew so that there is less of a chance of clumping with the lazer. I cut 3 lawns beside and across from my house and I could only use the lazer on one of those houses before due to clipping discharge being so far. Yesterday I used the Lazer on all three lawns and the cut looked awsome, actually smother then using the 36 metro hp with the proslide. I have gone from using it on only 4 lawns on fridays to 6 lawns on fridays out of 10 total lawns cut of fridays. Two extra lawns to use it on does not sound like a lot but when one of them is .5 acre and the other is rite across from my house that extra time does add up especially when you consider that I was using a 36 wb on those two lawns previously.

It will clump in the taller/thicker grass but just hit it up with the blower when your done in those couple of spots especially when you turn, just dont stop or stop the blades when stopped in the lawn, lift the deck up while moving on a strip that was already cut to get the clippings out from under the deck before you go onto a driveway or stop.

It sure beats the hell out of bagging but im curious to see how well mulching works in the spring time growth. We will see in 7 or 8 months

Gilla Gorilla
09-04-2004, 10:37 PM
I will try to take a couple of pictures tomorrow if I can remember and post them here for you to see the cut that it gives on the Lazer