PDA

View Full Version : grasshopper ?

cash_money
09-02-2004, 11:02 PM
Hi everyone i was just wondering who has got a grasshopper front mount deck and mid mount deck,are these good mowers?,would they stripe good?dose anyone have any picss?i already own a dixie chopper but was just wondering how good grasshoppers are.

olderthandirt
09-02-2004, 11:08 PM
Got a 725 front mount and love it, double the rubber stip in the back of the deck and it stripes beautifully.

Mac

blublazes
09-02-2004, 11:52 PM
I just got a brand new 322D midmmount grasshopper with a 61" deck, stripes great without a stiping kit, i've thought about building a kit for it, but havent got the time right now. IMO these are great mowers

Paul

PLM-1
09-03-2004, 12:08 AM
Ive gotta new 722d2..AWESOME

M-and-W Land and Lawn
09-03-2004, 12:52 AM
We have both a 721 and a 721D G2, front mount mowers. Both are very hard working and dependable mowers. We went with the front mount mowers because we liked having the out front deck when mowing around obstacles, not to mention that they have designed the decks and all the other implements in such a way theat you can very easily change the implement you are pushing in just a few minutes. I hope this helps you some, and just remember this is only my two cents.

ScCo
09-03-2004, 12:55 AM
I personally had bad luck with my 725's. However there are a BUNCH of people around here using grasshoppers and they like them. The local grasshopper dealer is great for service after the sale (if you're old enough for him to respect you...my problem is I wasn't old enough) so he has a strong following and sells a lot of lawn mowers.

My 725's had numerous failures at low hours, from spindle failures to pto failures, horrible casters on the front, and on and on. Apparently I just had luck with both machines though as there's no way they'd be so popular around here if everyone had my luck...at least I would hope not.

Stripes where non-existant on one of my machines and moderately decent on the other.

I like my super z a lot better, although it's kinda not a fair comparison since the hoppers were front mounts and the hustler is mid. The machine is built much stronger in my opinion and doesn't have all the little knick-knack issues that I encountered with the hoppers. However my hustler dealer sucks a big one on parts inventory and service, so I'm looking elsewhere once again.

Anyhow, I'm sure the grasshoppers are fine machines, I just personally have had bad luck with them.

Envy Lawn Service
09-03-2004, 01:01 AM
How are you guys feeling about the 22D power coupled with the 61" deck? Where would you rate it among gas engines strictly from a power standpoint?

Does it have enough excess to handle the addition of a mulch kit?

PLM-1
09-03-2004, 01:07 AM
my 22hp diesel has loads of torque...i cut about 6 acres the other day of thick grass about waist high...full speed the whole time...took about 45 minutes...beat that! LOL

Lbilawncare
09-03-2004, 01:57 AM
We started out with Grasshoppers. They were good mowers but weren't as durable as our Dixies, we went through a lot of clutches and spindles. Although I miss the outfront reach under bushes, the Dixies can go a lot more places without scalping or getting stuck.

FrankenScagMachines
09-03-2004, 03:54 AM
Originally posted by Joplin Mower
my 22hp diesel has loads of torque...i cut about 6 acres the other day of thick grass about waist high...full speed the whole time...took about 45 minutes...beat that! LOL
do you really expect anyone to beleive that? unless full speed is 5mph, theres no way you could go full speed in "waist high grass" and get anything cut. Also figure in that i assume your talking about a 60" deck. The most i can see you mowing in 45 minutes at 9/10 mph is 2 acres. how can you triple the productivity in conditions 15 times worse than everyday mowing? If your going to lie, at least make it beleivable :rolleyes: c'mon! sorry, but i call it like i see it (to quote GeeVee).

PLM-1
09-03-2004, 01:16 PM
guess i should have taken pictures huh? Mr. I'm 17 and rule the world.

specialtylc
09-04-2004, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by FrankenScagMachines
do you really expect anyone to beleive that? unless full speed is 5mph, theres no way you could go full speed in "waist high grass" and get anything cut. Also figure in that i assume your talking about a 60" deck. The most i can see you mowing in 45 minutes at 9/10 mph is 2 acres. how can you triple the productivity in conditions 15 times worse than everyday mowing? If your going to lie, at least make it beleivable :rolleyes: c'mon! sorry, but i call it like i see it (to quote GeeVee).
I WILL SECOND THAT.:blob3:

Tony Clifton
09-04-2004, 08:48 PM
I call Bu11 Sh1T!

GreenMonster
09-04-2004, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by olderthandirt
Got a 725 front mount and love it, double the rubber stip in the back of the deck and it stripes beautifully.

Mac

I've been happy with my 725A (25hp liquid cooled)

I thought it striped real nice, but I might try Mac's idea.

ScCo
09-05-2004, 02:13 AM
assuming that the grasshopper that supposedly cut 6 acres of waste high grass in 45 minutes has a 61" deck I find it necessary to point out that at top speed (which you CAN NOT cut waste high grass at with any mower) that machine is only capable of 3.7 acres in 45 minutes at 80% operator efficiency....not to mention that most operators are no where near 80% efficient.

if the machine has a 72" deck it is still only capable of 4.4 acres in 45 minutes at the same speed and efficiency.

At 100% efficiency (impossible) you still don't get 6 acres in 45 minutes with either deck on that machine.

a local LCO who's owner I am buddies with has a few 928D's with 72" decks...and they won't cut that much grass, that tall in 45 minutes. It simply isn't possible to cover that much ground in that amount of time....unless you have some sort of hyder drive pumps on that mower that allow it to mow about 25mph.