PDA

View Full Version : Comparing prices

NC Scaper
09-02-2004, 10:11 PM
Alright I have 168 square feet bed (1.56 cubic yards) spreading mulch, spray for weeds. Will be red cypress mulch. dealer cost 30.00 a scoop (bobcat). Just wanna see what yall might charge

D Felix
09-02-2004, 11:48 PM
Absolutely nothing.

We don't spread red crap.:D

Dan

NC Scaper
09-02-2004, 11:55 PM
well aren't we just cheerful :p

i_plant_art
09-03-2004, 12:08 AM
well asuming that the weeds arent too bad... roughly $250 or so give or take... but like D said... "we dont spread red crap" either
black, brown or nothing, no exceptions.

Coffeecraver
09-03-2004, 05:50 AM
I agree We don't spread that crap either.

NC Scaper
09-03-2004, 07:02 AM
Well to be honest I don't give a crap if it is orange, yellow, purple or blue, but the customer ask for it and thats what she is gonna get. Well then why don y'all pretend it isn't red (crap) and answer the question. That was the whole concept in the first place not color. I ask a question and get nothing but BS, I was just wanting to compare the going rates.

D Felix
09-03-2004, 08:13 AM
You might as well not even try to compare "going rates" here.

Everyone charges differently, everyone has different overhead. Different areas of the country (world, too) command different prices. If enough people responded, you'd get prices that went from ~$75 all the way to ~$600.

That's why I didn't give a price. It's just a number. A useless number on any forum here on LS..........................

Dan

NickN
09-03-2004, 08:26 AM
Not sure if that's even worth your trouble for 1.56 yards.
With cost being $30.00 per scoop,a bobcat scoop is around a yard,so you're going to need 2 scoops and you'll have some extra or you can try to buy 1.5 scoops.
If you're delivering,include that in pricing.
So,roughly $65 to $70 per yard including mulch price.At two yards,you'll make around $80.
How long will it take you to pick up the mulch and deliver?
You should be able to lay all of the mulch within 1 hour depending on if you can drive right up to the bed or you have to wheelbarrow it.So, if it took you1.5 hours total,you'll be grossing roughly $50 per hour.

NC Scaper
09-03-2004, 08:41 AM
Well I can only get 2 scoops and it will take about 30 minutes total to pickup and deliver and thank goodness the bed is right beside the drive. thanks NickN very much.

Groundcover Solutions
09-03-2004, 10:57 PM
I hate the red mulch too. But hey if the customer sends me a check after I am done, then I will spread it. We just did about 60 yards of the red at the Joe Luis Arena, the one and only place that i acctualy thought the red mulch worked and looked good.... (RED WINGS)

Dwan
09-03-2004, 11:11 PM
enough to make a good profit.
pickup and deliver mulch truck time $50, mulch cost $100/yd plus markup 100%, rounded off $300, labor @$50/hr Minimum $100. looks like $450
Now my bobcat holds 2 or 3 yards depending on which bucket I have on it. but the suplyers has a 1/3 bucket

Coffeecraver
09-04-2004, 07:54 AM
Are you going to edge the bed?
Are you going to haul the debris?
How much time will the job take from start to finish?
At 30.00 a scoop installed would be 65-75 dollars a scoop.
The edgeing I get 1.50 a ft.
The hauling at 65.00 for a shovel to a pickup load
The time turn key about 4 hrs.

Your prices may vary based upon your market and overhead cost.

:)

Geoffrey
09-06-2004, 05:20 PM
Gentleman,
I hate to ask but other than color, why not spread red mulch if the customers requests it? 2 yards installed 210.00 for the entire job.

Geoff

MudslinginFX4
09-06-2004, 05:29 PM
NC Scaper, I usually charge $55/yd installed and only pay $10.00 (thats for tripple shread). Since you are paying $30 for the red, I would add another $20.00 to my price/yd. My estimate would be $150 for the mulch installed/delivered (considering there is no weeds to be pulled, or bed edging).

Coffeecraver
09-06-2004, 09:56 PM
The red mulch shows up every bit of debris that gets into it.
KFC used red mulch and cigeratte buts show up everywhere
the color fades on some pieces and appears white and dirty.
The brown is natural and looks much better

I just don't want my name on those jobs.

D Felix
09-06-2004, 10:00 PM
Gentleman,
I hate to ask but other than color, why not spread red mulch if the customers requests it? 2 yards installed 210.00 for the entire job.

Geoff
What Norm said.

Plus-- IT JUST LOOKS PLAIN TACKY!!

Dan

NC Scaper
09-06-2004, 10:09 PM
We must be thinking the same cause I charged the customer about 160 today, so now it all over with shes got her mulch and I am on my way :cool2:

Geoffrey
09-08-2004, 04:49 PM
Coffeecraver and D Felix,
Thanks I knew the ugly color was a factor but thanks for the other input.

Geoff

LAWN WORX
09-28-2004, 09:19 AM
This is what I would charge for this in my area:

2 cy red mulch; 2 x $53/cy = $106 dealer retail (wholesale is $30)
Install 2 cy mulch @$40/cy = $80
Weed @$40/hr = ? say $40
Mulch Delivery = $15 per pickup truck load of 2 cy assuming reasonable distance.

total = say $240

I may throw in a stick edge and a little roundup if necessary.
I may reduce the price if the bed is easily accessible to dump mulch in and only if customer frowns at $240 and if weeding is minor.

Hope this helps.

GreenMonster
09-28-2004, 09:29 AM
,a bobcat scoop is around a yard

I've seen similar comments here before, and I don't see why these comments are made. :confused: There are different size buckets depending on the size of the skid steer. I have a 753, with a .54 yard bucket. Generally, I believe, skid steer buckets are less than a yard -- which would make your mulch very expensive at $30 a scoop (unless it's truely a cy).

Saying that all skid steer buckets are 1 yard, or any specific size for that matter, is like saying a ZTR is a 60" cut.

impactlandscaping
10-15-2004, 01:29 AM
Mark, our local Southern States uses a 763, and charge $ 30.00 for red dye and $ 22.00 for double ground. I was picking up some hydro mulch the other day and I noticed they welded a plate across the bottom in the bucket. There can't be more than .40-.50 yards in that scoop, and I watched them load a guy,too. The operator scooped up a nice heaping bucket, then he shook it all down to the lip..what a rip off! It's funny how everyone's perception of what they are buying versus actually getting varies..as said, many think a scoop is a yard, then wonder why they ran short on materials... :dizzy:

GreenMonster
10-15-2004, 07:58 AM
Mark, our local Southern States uses a 763, and charge $ 30.00 for red dye and $ 22.00 for double ground. I was picking up some hydro mulch the other day and I noticed they welded a plate across the bottom in the bucket. There can't be more than .40-.50 yards in that scoop, and I watched them load a guy,too. The operator scooped up a nice heaping bucket, then he shook it all down to the lip..what a rip off! It's funny how everyone's perception of what they are buying versus actually getting varies..as said, many think a scoop is a yard, then wonder why they ran short on materials... :dizzy:

and they're charging for that scoop as a yard?????

You think the retailer knows that's not a c.y.?

On a 763, that's probably no more than .6 c.y. -- quite possibly less.

One of the reasons I like getting my mulch directly from the grinder man. He has a payloader with a 10 yard bucket -- yup, 10 yd. Fills it mostly full, then dumps in my truck (high sides). Then, he looks at it, and says "well, I hate to short you, I'll give you a little more. I almost always end up with at least 10, and I always ask for 8. I stopped counting earlier this year, after winning on the first 5-6 loads.

impactlandscaping
10-15-2004, 11:50 AM
and they're charging for that scoop as a yard?????

You think the retailer knows that's not a c.y.?

On a 763, that's probably no more than .6 c.y. -- quite possibly less.

One of the reasons I like getting my mulch directly from the grinder man. He has a payloader with a 10 yard bucket -- yup, 10 yd. Fills it mostly full, then dumps in my truck (high sides). Then, he looks at it, and says "well, I hate to short you, I'll give you a little more. I almost always end up with at least 10, and I always ask for 8. I stopped counting earlier this year, after winning on the first 5-6 loads.

I'm sure the retailer knows..the end user has no idea...

The supplier we get our mulch from is set up the same way. We get 1 bucket, around 8-10 yards in a bucket on a huge Case.We are always guaranteed at least 8 , but have gotten closer to 10 many times.

olderthandirt
10-16-2004, 01:15 AM
100 yds at a time delievred to my yard, I load it as I need it and I know my bucket is 1 yd. Custom made for mulch. The customer has no idea how much there getting. Its the same with top-soil been talking to a customer about building there beds when a single axle dump pulls in and I am informed that they already ordered 20 yds of top. And the driver hands then a receipt for 20 yds and there on there way. lol And the sad part is the customer usually won't believe me when I inform them that they just bought 8-10 yds not 20. Those are the tactics that hurt the industry

Mac

D Felix
10-16-2004, 09:50 AM
I agree, Mac.

We get 100 yards delivered at a time, load it with the tractor. Most of the time we get over 100 yards, but there was one time we got ~80 and charged for 100... Thought the pile looked small when it came out and kept track of how much we'd used. Called the supplier and they credited the account. No big deal.

As for top soil, you can't put 20 yards on a tri-axle, let alone a single! Try to put 20 yards on a tri-axle and you will be at almost 30 tons depending on moisture content. Around here, that's grossly overwieght!

We've been loading ~8-9 on a single on the job we are working on, but it's getting dug and dumped on-site. I wouldn't want to take that amount down the road.....

Dan

GreenMonster
10-16-2004, 09:22 PM
100 yds at a time delievred to my yard

that's how I'd like to do it, but I still operate from home. No place for that much mulch. Then, skid steer always has to be there or I need a dedicated machine for mulch...... some day maybe :)

jim dailey
10-19-2004, 10:21 AM
You might as well not even try to compare "going rates" here.

Everyone charges differently, everyone has different overhead. Different areas of the country (world, too) command different prices. If enough people responded, you'd get prices that went from ~$75 all the way to ~$600.

That's why I didn't give a price. It's just a number. A useless number on any forum here on LS..........................

Dan

BOY, you must be a real PEACH, first thing in the morning. How about this: instead of spreading such cheer on a subject that seems to bother you, just ignore the post, save the sarcasm and move on. I hope you have a really great day, today and everyday. Take Care.

D Felix
10-24-2004, 09:29 AM
What I said is the truth. I can be a real PEACH first thing in the morning sometimes, depending on my mood.:) Especially when I see a bunch of posts about calculating mulch quantities and concrete curbing! Which had nothing to do with what you quoted above....

"Going" rates vary. Plain and simple. I don't know why anyone should be concerned about a "going" rate. Why worry about what the other guy is charging? Why let the low-ballers put you out of business? Sooner or later they won't be in it either. Everyone on here has different overhead. Overhead plays directly into hourly rates.

For instance, I've seen hourly rates as low as $25 posted on LS, and most are in the $35-50 range. On our current project, we are charging ~$63/hour. But we have very little markup on materials.

See where I'm coming from? If you can make money at $30/hour, that doesn't mean the next guy will be able to.

Dan

Coffeecraver
10-24-2004, 09:52 AM
BOY, you must be a real PEACH, first thing in the morning. How about this: instead of spreading such cheer on a subject that seems to bother you, just ignore the post, save the sarcasm and move on. I hope you have a really great day, today and everyday. Take Care.

D Felix
is correct, You can't sugar coat everything
but alot of people try in this feel good society.

This question is asked so many times I think the site should have a separate
forum just for Frequently Asked Questions

bobbygedd
11-12-2004, 11:48 AM
1.5 yds red mulch=$135. spray weeds, 1 hand mixed gal roundup, i gal minimum, $32.50 . total=$167.50 plus tax. time=1hr . cost of materials (for me) = $34.

YardPro
11-12-2004, 07:24 PM
a bobcat bucket is 5/8 yard. so you would need 2 scoops

i have to agree with the others that won't apply it. i think the stuff looks tacky.
also you really should care what the customer wants you to do, becuase the end product is a reflection on YOU not them. I have customers that want me do do things i don't like and i refuse the work. I WILL NOT take on a job that i will be unhappy with the results.

D Felix
11-13-2004, 08:08 PM
I love it when someone says a "skidsteer bucket is XX yards".

To put it in terms you mower boys can understand, that's like saying every ZTR is a 50" and every WB is a 42".

That comment is not directed at everyone who mows, BTW, just a select few who still don't get it...................

Dan

YardPro
11-14-2004, 10:07 AM
buckets for bobcats are sold in 1/2 and 5/8 yard standards. you can get oversize buckets, but most material yards use the 1/2 or 5/8 yard bucket so it's easier to measure quantity of mulch they are selling you. most of thier backhoe's have 1 yard buckets.

yes you can buy all different size buckets, and heaping them will give you all different amounts of material.
i was refering to the material yards buckets. I have yet to see a material yard with a one yard bucket on a skid steer.

so how many bobcat scoops would you say someone would need if they needed a little over a yard of mulch????

D Felix
11-17-2004, 09:34 PM
I would say that it would depend on the bucket!

The 74" Lo Pro bucket on the T300 that we are renting right now has a 13 foot capacity struck, and an 18 foot capacity heaped, by SAE standards... Not sure I've ever seen or used one that measured 5/8's. That'd suck, I've got a hard enough time keeping track of large loads and doing the calculations in my head....

For what we typically use (JD 4300 tractor), if we were selling mulch retail (which we don't), it'd be 3 buckets to a yard, with the buckets struck. For our purposes, it's 2 buckets heaped is a little over a yard.

Adding teeth to a skid bucket also increases mulch capacity.

Point is, even though there are "typical's" it still depends as much on the individual bucket as it does the individual operator..............................

Dan

Mowmoney00
11-24-2004, 12:16 AM
Guys i'm with you 100% about the red "crap" mulch. This may be off the subject a bit but hey this is lawnsite thats allowed right. Here's some info that the owner of the local mulch company told me.

*****Reasons not to use Red dyed mulch*********
1. Its non-decomposing wood (treated lumber, chopped up pallets, scrap wood, ect.) ... so it draws moisture from the beds which creates fungus, mold and midew.

2. Termites like it alot more than natural mulch.

3. The dye used to create that "red" color is lead based ... this is NOT good for the pretty plants you just installed

4. It takes 10 times longer to decompose than natural mulch

5. It fades really really fast (who ever thought of pink mulch .. yuck)

6. Did I mention .. Its ugly as he!!

This may or may not be true, take it for whats its worth

GarPA
11-24-2004, 04:43 AM
we've been using the dyed mulches (brown and black...no red) for at least 5 years and while its true the stuff is all made from scrap wood, we have not had a single problem with the dye leeching and affecting any plants. Nor have we had any termite issues..at least not yet. Granted this stuff is not as desirable as real mulch but over half of our customers are now requesting it as they are sick and tired of the "real" mulch fading in 6 weeks (because the quality of the real stuff continues to go downhill year after year)

re: your ? on the bid...not less than $200 assuming no edging is done