PDA

View Full Version : what should i do?

lawnwizards
09-03-2004, 12:03 AM
i just hired this guy last week.... works non stop. won't take breaks unless you tell him to stop, and then its only for about 1 minute... the problem is that he can't do anything except push a trim mower... that wouldn't be that back except i don't have very many lawns that need a trim mower... i tried to teach him weed eating and he literally sucks at it... i show him my way and hes right back at it, his way... what should i do? i love his work ethic. do you think it is possible to train him or is he a lost cause? thanks for all responses....

lawnwizards
09-03-2004, 12:35 AM
c'mon.... surely someone has faced this situation before.

txlawnking
09-03-2004, 12:44 AM
Wiz.. Just me, but trimming is the first thing an employee would get training on from me.. If they can't hack that, I don't need them..Just my nickel...

lawnwizards
09-03-2004, 12:50 AM
thats what i was thinking.... if you seen him trim, you'd think he wasn't all there.... he doesn't swing side to side like everyone else would... he kinda pushes in like a mower..... used to keep it full throttle, now its idling when hes trimming....

z_clark
09-03-2004, 12:51 AM
My opinion is give your guy some time if you like his work ethic. Mowing season is almost over and then it is leaf pic up...anyone can operate a blower and a rake! :p

lawnwizards
09-03-2004, 12:52 AM
yeah, he is good with the blower....*lol*

jerryrwm
09-03-2004, 12:54 AM
Well it sounds like he needs to understand that your way is the way it needs to be done. He might need some remedial training at a park or somewhere that won't make your regular properties look like crap.

You may need to get a trimmer and have him try to mimic everything you do. Maybe you need to try it his way to see how you can best convert his method to yours. You are trying to break the bad habits that his last employer gave him.

It's like teaching someone how to use a hammer. You know that you get better power and striking force if you hold it at the end. But someone new holds it close to the head, because they feel more comfortable being able to hit the nail head. As their hand-eye coordination becomes more refined they are able to move back on the handle. It just takes a little time.

Or maybe you can get some additional yards that requires the trim mower.

lawnwizards
09-03-2004, 12:58 AM
jerryrwm, i'm thinking of letting him loose on my yard.. i have over 1.5 acres with sh*t ton of trimming... maybe he'll learn then, or i'll throw his arse in the creek...*l*

Olylawnboy
09-03-2004, 01:01 AM
Maybe you could give a little more info about the guy and explain the my way his way thing. But one thing you could do is let him get good at "his" way. It seems he may just need practice. Oh, does he suck at it his way or your way? I trust it's not both, right?
I've had guy that would hold a trimmer so funny (to me that is), go forward and backwards, and do a jig around corners. But he sure sucked when he started :)

HOOLIE
09-03-2004, 01:05 AM
Maybe just let him trim backyards only til he gets the hand of it...if ever. You can trim the fronts to maintain that curb appeal. I just was talking to another LCO today. Last year he was solo, now he has helper. This helper was just raping and pillaging these lawns with the trimmer. The owner's pretty bummed out, third guy he's had this season, and still no reliable trimmer.

I'd just try to keep him away from the front yards and anywhere else that would be visible to potential clients. If he can't figure it out after a few weeks, he probably never will.

lawnwizards
09-03-2004, 01:06 AM
olylawnboy, his way is alright... it just takes him 3x the amount of time it should take. i think that maybe he is just trying to impress me being new and all... i've told him before that time is money....and that he gets most of his riding in the truck...*l*

bobbygedd
09-03-2004, 07:31 AM
there are some people that just will never get it right. i had a guy, that was a total spaz, even after 6 weeks he could'nt wack, not even in the slightest, and couldn't start alot of the equipment, and i couldn't trust him to mow properly. after telling him over, and over, AND OVER, he just couldn't get it right.

lawnwizards
09-03-2004, 10:44 AM
he could'nt wack, not even in the slightest, and couldn't start alot of the equipment, and i couldn't trust him to mow properly. after telling him over, and over, AND OVER, he just couldn't get it right.

yup... that pretty much sums it up for me....

Runner
09-03-2004, 12:42 PM
It sounds like he may not even have a CLUE on how it is done professionally ( well AND proficiently). It sounds as if he may be better off just to come out with you and WATCH for a day or two, THEN, you need to be right with him and talking to him for awhile. Even after that, some things he is told will not be absorbed, and will have to be repeated, so be ready - that is normal. A person can only take in so much at a time, especially when not only are they learning something new, but they are correcting old bad habits, as well.