PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Question

jeffh1988
09-03-2004, 01:14 AM
I have just had a 12' trailer custom made for me. Good trailer, made of square tubing, and has a wood floor, but i have one complaint; the guy made my gate to short. It is 3 and 1/2 foot i beleive. If i don't park in the right spot the mowers won't go on or off. I was just wondering how long the gate needs to be, this is after i have bent 3 blades and a hanging system on a new JD. I have talked to the guy and he said he would make a gate to my specs no charge... so i need specs!!

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC
09-03-2004, 01:16 AM
well how high is your the A$$ end of the trailer when its empty? Loaded?

Turf Dancer
09-03-2004, 03:32 AM
my trailer has deck height of 20 1/2 inches and a 4' gate was not enough! I had to build an extension of a little over 2'

My new trailer will have drop axles ! That will lower the deck height to around 15 1/2 to 16" which will help alot

FrankenScagMachines
09-03-2004, 03:46 AM
my 6 x 12 is about 20" off the ground, give or take a couple. has a 4' gate and thats just fine for the Ferris Z. The new 22' trailer i'm building is also 20" off the ground and the gate i made 5' long to ensure no scraping at all. Have him make you a 5' gate i think that'd be plenty unless your deck sits higher that 22" or so... you did lift the mower deck up into transport position right?

Envy Lawn Service
09-03-2004, 04:28 AM
Originally posted by FrankenScagMachines
my 6 x 12 is about 20" off the ground, give or take a couple. has a 4' gate and thats just fine for the Ferris Z. The new 22' trailer i'm building is also 20" off the ground and the gate i made 5' long to ensure no scraping at all. Have him make you a 5' gate i think that'd be plenty unless your deck sits higher that 22" or so... you did lift the mower deck up into transport position right?
I'm doing fine with a 4' gate also. But also take into account my trailer rocks down, flattening the gate angle as I drive on. If I were you, I'd go with a 5' or 6' gate....

FSM.... I'm dissappointed in you... where is the review on the Ferris Z???? Or did I miss it somehow?????????
:confused:

MOW ED
09-03-2004, 08:07 AM
I am gonna give you one piece of advice that may or may not be relevent. If you store your trailer in a garage make sure your new gate will back into that garage without rippng the header out.
I know its too late and probably not practical but I have seen dovetails on longer trailers that reduce the need for very tall gates. If you have a real inventive welder, you can have him design a hinged 2 piece gate that folds out and down to save height.
Good Luck.

barnard
09-03-2004, 09:03 AM
The ramp should also be arched, this smooths out the angle between the ramp and the trailer. This helps a lot.

Duron22
09-05-2004, 11:58 PM
This would be a pain in the @$$, however if your bending blades and unable to get your mowers into the trailor you might want to try this:

Keep a piece of wood in your truck/trailor to take the trailor off the hitch of your truck and lift it as high as you can. I say keep a piece of wood for two reasons.

1. Won't dig into pavement (had huge problem with that on my own property, big mess! I didnt imagine that would happen but it was a big mess)

2. the higher the block
the higher the jack can go
the higher the front of the trailor
the lower @$$ end of the trailor
the lesser the slope of your gate
the less problems you have w/ your mower!

(temperary/emergency solution)