PDA

View Full Version : ZTR and bagging

glagen
09-03-2004, 12:14 PM
Have lawns in the 1-2 acre size and going to by a ZTR to eliminate the time spent using a wb for the tight spots and under trees. Cust want these lawns kept spectacular and clipping free. Required to bag with every mow. Been looking at JD machines and Walker, but am open to others. Which brand and model will give me a top-notch cut with superior bagging, especially in leaf season? Thanks.
Glagen

Runner
09-03-2004, 12:29 PM
If you're thinking you're going to "bag" all your 1 to 2 acre lots, you need to start thinking more realistically. The first question that is brought to mind, is WHY? They don't bag Wrigley field, they don't bag Yankee stadium, they don't bag golf courses, and I SURE don't bag any of MY properties. My places look just as clean as ANY bagged prop. The only difference being, is that I am leaving up to 1/3 of the total nitrogen content back in the soil, and I am not spending all the extra time and money collecting and dumping. If you're looking at a mower like a Walker, you better do some research. For your size of properties, you should get an idea of how long it will take with one of those. Granted, they lay down a decent cut, and all that, but they are not one of the fastest, most productive machines out there.

glagen
09-03-2004, 01:01 PM
Joe,
Thanks for the quick repy. I hear you about the time and $ spent bagging but with these locations, its is not an option. They pay me well to do it. By the way, they don't bag at the MLB fields because they mow them every 2 to 3 days. My custs won't pay for that type of schedule and with all locations fully irrigated and well fert, the grass grows thick and fast between weekly cuts. Walker is my last choice, actually I am leaning toward a JD 757 with a three bag system but I heard they are not so hot at leaf pick up. Blowing, raking and vac takes too much time on these locations. Mowing up the leaves is much faster -- provided the bagging works well. The JD dealer is close by and has been great price and service wise for other equip I have bought. The next closest guy sells eXmark, scag and toro but is rather pricey. exmark and toro are made in the same plant. scag is nice but parts are sometimes hard to get. I did look at Lesco which I think is made by Cub Cadet. Very expensive.
Glagen

slicklawns
09-03-2004, 01:22 PM
Glagen, from what I know the only catching system with the Lesco's is the Peco system. Works great with the pony motor but can be restricting due to hopper height. You should be able to pick up new Z 2 with peco for around $8200

NoWalk4Me
09-03-2004, 02:34 PM
Glagen,
I'd have to give kudos to my Hustler SuperZ and the BacVac. It really works well, is dumped from the seat and very easily detached w/out any extra manpower. Its not cheap but man it has impressed me in the last 2 weeks. I just got the BacVac 2 weeks ago but have had the Z for over a year. Both the mower and the vac are top notch. Good luck on the search.

Cobra Jock
09-03-2004, 07:52 PM
I've put 600 hours on a Hustler Super Z with Bag Vac since April and it is great. I believe the bag vac could suck a fart out of a dead bird, but thats just speculation on my part!

rob1325
09-03-2004, 10:29 PM
Look at the Scags bagging system. They are great and hold more than most. Also, you can adjust deck baffle for leave pickup.