PDA

View Full Version : Who hates being watched while cutting?

CharlieBingo
09-03-2004, 11:45 AM
Just curious, does anyone else hate it when customers sit in there lawn chairs, stand there with there arms folded, or follow us around when we cut? Sure they have a right it's there property, but it just gets under my skin! Wish they'd stay inside or better yet not be home when I am there.

ElephantNest
09-03-2004, 11:48 AM
I could care less if it's an adult. They know better. If kids are outside watching me, I send them inside or load the trailer and go to the next job.

txlawnking
09-03-2004, 11:49 AM
If they did what you mentioned to me, their grass would not get cut, period. I would take the time before I even agreed to do ANY work for them, to explain to them that they can feel free to watch from INSIDE their home, but due to (VERY REAL) liability reasons, no work will be performed with people/ pets in the work area..

NC Scaper
09-03-2004, 12:13 PM
I am with txlawnking on this one!!!

ilovethisgame
09-03-2004, 05:57 PM
ahhh.... the sidewalk foreman you gotta love them! I swear they plan their week around me. The ones I have are usually outside waiting for me. Or the can be outside before my feet can touch the street from the truck.

walker-talker
09-03-2004, 06:21 PM
I have an old man that use to come out with his cane while I mowed. He would follow me around and point out various spots that he wanted mowed or trimmed. It upset me at first and wanted to drop him bad. I would of, but I was making just under $1 a minute. He fell down and broke his hip, so now he just stays inside. I am gald I stuck it out....lol

advantagelawn
09-03-2004, 07:58 PM
doesnt matter a bit to me, i am the best and never skip over anything, if they have a problem with something i do, i tell them to go graduate college with a turf degree and then question me.

Liberty Lawncare
09-03-2004, 08:08 PM
I have a bunch of old people who come out to say hi they sometimes watch a little.
As long as they stay away and wont get hurt I dont mind an audiance. I think they look forward to my mowing. One old lady told me she missed me because for two weeks I mowed her lawn on wednesday insted of thursday. She has a volinteer group on wednesday.

DLCS
09-03-2004, 08:40 PM
Customers can watch me all they want just don't get in the way. I'm not shy.

Sneaky
09-03-2004, 08:53 PM
I just tell them of an incident that happened a couple months ago. My blade broke for no known reason and flew about 80 feet out to the side. After that little story they usually stay inside if they like their legs.

Liberty Lawncare
09-03-2004, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by Sneaky
I just tell them of an incident that happened a couple months ago. My blade broke for no known reason and flew about 80 feet out to the side. After that little story they usually stay inside if they like their legs.
Your blade broke?:confused: In 15 years I have neaver heard of a blade breaking for no reason. Eaven when choping up a boulder in 3 foot tall grass bent blade cracked spindle but did not break.

CamLand
09-03-2004, 09:17 PM
It never bothered me to have someone watch me, so long as they aren't telling me what to do...

fixer67
09-03-2004, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by Liberty Lawncare
Your blade broke?:confused: In 15 years I have neaver heard of a blade breaking for no reason. Eaven when choping up a boulder in 3 foot tall grass bent blade cracked spindle but did not break.

I have seen one brake on a push mower and still have no idea what happened. I thank Liberty Lawncare was just making up a story to scar the crap out of them in hopes they whould stay in side out of the way.

Dwan
09-03-2004, 09:38 PM
Post this sign on the side or your rig.

$60/hr.
$90/hr if you watch
$120/hr if you help

Greenservice
09-03-2004, 09:44 PM
I had a gator blade break on me one time. Someone told me that they aren't as strong as regular blades and get brittle after a lot of use.

Liberty Lawncare
09-03-2004, 09:58 PM
Wow lots of breaking blades. I guess me and others I know are lucky.

Flex-Deck
09-03-2004, 10:14 PM
I love having the owner watch - because I know they are seeing an operation that can do things they have never seen before. It has happened, will happen and I hope every day that it happens. I have something to offer they don't have, or they would be mowing their own. Thanks, Brad

all ferris
09-03-2004, 10:33 PM
I have an account that is along a pretty busy highway. I cut the account at about 5-6pm on thursdays. There is a stop light just down the road from my account and traffic always backs up. On 2 occasions I have seen GUYS rear end other cars because they were staring at me. On both ocassions the damage was never too bad because of the slow speed they were traveling (TRAFFIC). I hate doing this account just because I know people are watching. I don't know if it's just me or not, but around here it seems that only men stare. The girls just drive by like nothing is going on. I wish it was the other way around.

lawnman_scott
09-03-2004, 10:59 PM
It sucks when your consentrating on what your doing and "accidently" blow grass on them.

Lbilawncare
09-03-2004, 11:21 PM
I ignored a man for an hour as he watched me at his Condo Assoc, I assumed he was going to complain about something. Finally he got up and walked over to me, turns out he wanted to tell me we were doing a great job and asked if I wanted a soda. I was taken by surprise because his neighbors all like to nitpick. I don't mind people watching me as long as I know they aren't going to complain.

mtdman
09-04-2004, 12:39 AM
I don't like being watched, by adults, kids, dogs, or whatever. Creeps me out.

:D

EJK2352
09-04-2004, 01:03 AM
I have a few that seem to watch almost every time I service their account. I had one customer tell me that they liked watching me. They said they had never seen someone work as fast or efficiante as I do, they said I was like poetry in motion.

Littleriver1
09-04-2004, 08:10 AM
Some one is always watching. It seems like no matter where you go today people are looking at us. I cut every lawn like some one is looking at me. It may be an owner or a neighbor or a passerby. People are just naturally interested in what other people are doing. If you work in an office ,and your cube is at a window and something is going on outside you will watch. It's like a law or something, that you must watch. If you pick your nose or scratch you butt or run into a tree, someone will see it. I visualize a man watching from a window. His wife walks into the room and asks, what are you looking at? He's not going to say, watching the yard guy cut the grass next door. He's going to say, watching the yard guy scratch his butt next door. It's the way it is when you work out side. We get the sun to shine on us and rest of the world has to watch the sun shine on us. It's a good thing.

crawdad
09-04-2004, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by Dwan
Post this sign on the side or your rig.

$60/hr.
$90/hr if you watch
$120/hr if you help

$150/hr if you tried to do it first, and need me to fix it