PDA

View Full Version : Shade Seed Blend

Rwise10230
09-03-2004, 05:54 PM
I'm at wits end. I've got 3 lawns where filtered sunlight is the only sunlight available. I seeded last fall and they came in beautifully and was even better this spring. When the leaves formed, they went to pieces and now I'm back at almost dirt. Having my customers remove any trees or pruning limbs is not gonna happen so I have to live with the shade.

I used Lesco's shade blend last time and refuse to go that route again.

Surely you folks have been through this many times and I need some suggestions on seed blends that might work.

Branchland
09-03-2004, 06:34 PM
I've been told to use a type of fescue call creeping red. It's supposed to work well in shaded areas. I believe it has a smaller blade which might make it not cut as well. I know I'm going to try it on a couple of yards.

locutus
09-03-2004, 06:43 PM
Creeping red fescue does do well in the shade. I have used it for several clients of mine. It doesn't like heavy traffic though. Think about where you are going to be using it.

Cutters Lawn Care
09-03-2004, 11:03 PM
Is your customer watering the grass. Fescue will thin out in the summer. If the grass is planted directly under the tree the grass can't compete against the tree for water. The trees are gonna win that battle everytime.

farmer_lab
09-04-2004, 02:05 AM
I would try pennington seed (enviro-shade) I have had really good luck with it growing in the dense shade.

LESCO#1
11-17-2004, 09:19 AM
strong survive

HighGrass
11-17-2004, 10:33 AM
I usually keep a bag of Scott's prem blend (Sun/Shade) in the truck if I make a divot I just throw downa hand full and don't mow that are the next time. Works pretty good as long as it's not to dry.

mtdman
11-17-2004, 10:48 AM
Using Lesco seed was your first mistake. That stuff sucks, and is over priced.

I agree with the watering assessment. I have problems with my seed customers understanding that just because the seed has grown, they now don't have to water or care for it anymore. More often than not new grass will die off because the people stop watering or feeding it. Especially around trees and shady areas.

horseman201
11-17-2004, 11:28 AM
The Lesco seed that is for the sun is good for me but the shade mix is just what MTDMAN said, It really does suck. using creeping red is the best bet you got for now. I have alot of yards with the same situation and I put down the creeping red in the fall and then put out the Lesco sun mix in the spring. I know this may sound crazy to put out the sun mix under the trees but I have noticed that with the creeping red included with the sun mix that they help each other.

drsogr
11-17-2004, 01:11 PM
Some good advice....I have never used creeping red, I will have to give that a shot for under the trees. Does it look like regular fescue? Does it blend in well?

horseman201
11-17-2004, 05:03 PM
Yes to all.

Runner
11-17-2004, 08:21 PM
What kind of tree(s)? Depending on what they are, a soil test is probably in order. test it, and see if it's too acidic. Amend. Also, if it is that dense with shade, you will HAVE to thin to grow turf underneath. If not, give it up and grow some other sort of solid shade loving ground cover. Ivy, Pachysandra, Artemesia, etc..