PDA

View Full Version : They want it brown

Ability
09-03-2004, 06:56 PM
A strange trend has been happening here in Tennessee and I wonder if it is the same all over.

I am getting people calling for lawn service and when I go out to give a bid they say they want it so short that the lawn gets burned and turns slightly brown.

I am sure they are not wanting to save money because I always discuss the fact that I cut every week.

But, evidently there are so many homeowners (neighbors of the potential customers) who don't know what height to cut at and usually cut it too short that the potential customer thinks this is the best height and wants their lawn to look just like their neighbors.

I tell them that it is so short that it is brown and they reply that it may be brown but they like to short "crisp" look.

This is insane.

CamLand
09-03-2004, 07:35 PM
I had a customer years ago that would get upset if we didn't cut his lawn.His lawn was like cutting pavement basically nothing thier but he wanted those stripes every week...

locutus
09-03-2004, 07:40 PM
I refuse to do any "scalp-cuts", unless its just prior to aeration/seeding.

EJK2352
09-03-2004, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by CamLand
I had a customer years ago that would get upset if we didn't cut his lawn.His lawn was like cutting pavement basically nothing thier but he wanted those stripes every week...

I have a customer like that. We were in a drought and I wasn't going to cut any of my customer that didn't have irrigation. I got a call Monday (usually cut his place Thursday or Friday) "Why didn't you cut my lawn last week". I told him that I skipped him because of the dry conditions it didn't need cut. He said you told me you would cut it weekly and I want it cut weekly. I haven't missed a weekly cut since then.

snowmizer
09-03-2004, 11:28 PM
i have a guy that wants it cut it at 2" i park down the street a little ways so no one can see me. but he also has full fert. program? confused

jphag
09-03-2004, 11:34 PM
I tell them I won't cut this short because of all the downfalls with short grass, more weeds, more water used, etc. and last but not least it looks awful and I don't want my reputation ruined because thats how they like it. Cancel this customer.

dkeisala
09-04-2004, 12:18 AM
They want it to look like a golf course but they don't want to invest the time or money into what's required to make it look that way.

I had a good client ask me today why I didn't have a reel mower. I told him a 20" Honda reel mower cost about $1,800 and his was the only lawn I couldn possibly use it on because it's perfectly flat where most lawns aren't. He likes it so short that rotary mowers just don't cut very well unless it's double-cut as rotary mowers leave little wisps here and there. Sure, it gets tons of fert and water and actually looks great throughout the year but why would I spend that kind of money on a reel mower that's only used for one client? I told him "Dick, your lawn may not be perfect but it's pretty damn close!"

Steve9
09-04-2004, 01:25 AM
Wow! You didnt have to start calling the guy names!

TClawn
09-04-2004, 04:07 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by dkeisala
[B]They want it to look like a golf course but they don't want to invest the time or money into what's required to make it look that way.

I had a good client ask me today why I didn't have a reel mower. I told him a 20" Honda reel mower cost about $1,800.

ask him if he's willing to split the cost of a McLane reel mower with you with the condition that you will use it one his lawn and that you own the machine. the 18" Mclane's work just fine for me because I only use on three lawns plus my lawn so I don't use it all that much but if I wanted some High dollar accounts around the rich part of the island I would probebly buy a tru-cut.