PDA

View Full Version : Equipment Storage

Bertram182
09-03-2004, 09:40 PM
A question for the contributers to this forum. Were do you guys keep your equipment. Are most of you able to store your stuff at home? If not at home, what other means do you use. Do you rent out space at a storage unit, like an enclosed garage, with security. Or have you been able to secure a parcel of land with a shed or a something like a farm house. I would assume that any rent\lease monies going toward supporting your business would be a tax right-off. I think right now that is a major obstacle in starting up an LCO. I personally would not be able to store any substantial amount of equipment at my house, a mower in the garage, sure, but not the whole trailer, truck, mowers, etc. If anyone uses one of those storage garages, does it make life tough, hard to work on equipment, do repairs/service? Any advice or insight would be great. Also, were would be a good place to look for available space. Thanks

Greenservice
09-03-2004, 09:54 PM
We just moved into a house that used to belong to an excavator and he had built a 1200 sq ft metal barn on the property. It's like a dream come true to have so much room for my stuff. At my old house we didn't even have a garage, so whatever wasn't in the enclosed trailer just sat out with a tarp over it. I have used a storage unit and it wasn't too bad because it was right down the street from my house. They had special contractor's hours so I could get in as early as 6 a.m. I used to bring machines back to my house to work on them though.

dkeisala
09-03-2004, 09:58 PM
I used to store my trailer and equipment in my moms garage but I bought a house a couple of years ago that had a covered double RV parking area with concrete pad and a shed in the back. As soon as I saw it, I signed the paperwork!

Liberty Lawncare
09-03-2004, 10:00 PM
I have a shed and small garage. I will need a bigger garage soon. My truck will not fit in my garage.

Hometown
09-03-2004, 10:08 PM
I put up a 40x60 shed at the back section of my property so I am pretty fortunate to have what I do. I know many people buy enclosed trailers so the storage of the equipment is built in to that and they just park them at their home. Where I live every thing must be stored inside and plus I would much rather have the extra room a shed or extra garage provides.

impactlandscaping
09-03-2004, 10:28 PM
We use a private , secure storage facility.Only way in / out is key pad entry, and everyone has their picture taken when the keypad is operated. We have 3 units, and each holds lawn equipment in one, and mowing equipment in the other, and supplies in the third one. This way, I don't worry about security issues like I did when using my own garage.

CamLand
09-03-2004, 10:30 PM
We also use a private lot we share with a few LCO and haven't had any problems,Barbwire is brutal on the legs they care to try...

jgc8fan
09-03-2004, 10:37 PM
We use my partners old nursery, but it will probably be sold this year, since it was appraised at $1.2 million market value makes more sense to sell it than to use as storage for a 2 man LCO Probably be back in his garage then, but after he gets the $$ he'll most likely buy a house with a bigger garage. :)

cantoo
09-03-2004, 10:50 PM
I own 10 acres, about 2 acres outside is covered in machinery. I have a 50x50 and a 25x50 building that I can barely walk between all the stuff. I also have equipment stored at my day job so I can work on it at night. At last count I have 16 trailers of different sizes, some I haven't used in a couple of years. Just bought another 18' today it was too cheap to pass up. My wife is threatening to have an auction sale soon.

Bertram182
09-04-2004, 07:59 AM
This is really good insight. I guess nothing really beats having a large plot of land were one can store machinery and not be an interference. I think for me, checking out a storage garage may not be to bad of an idea. You know what your getting, what it costs and the security is tops. Any debris collected from job sights would still need to be disposed of properly. I also agree that an enclosed trailer for storage is a good idea, but would still need a place to park it and make sure it is secure.

allstar
09-04-2004, 09:19 AM
Yeah,I'm probably starting to irritate the neighbors a little bit.Right now all of my mowers will fit in the garage but I have trucks and trailers in the driveway and back yard.I just try to keep my property looking as neat as possible and hope that noone complains.
I hope to be able to move in the not-too-distant future outside of town and possibly purchase a few acres.Of course,I could always rent a storage unit but that would be a major hassle,not to mention the added expense.