PDA

View Full Version : Utility Vehicles

NelsonLandworks
09-03-2004, 10:49 PM
Do any of you have them? If so which one? I'm thinking about getting a Cub Cadet 4x2, it's last year's model and has like 60 hours on it so they're selling it for 5,600 instead of 6,400.

What I'd love is a Kubota CVT900, but 11 grand later I could buy a mower and some trimmers to make money:eek:

JRSlawn
09-03-2004, 11:51 PM
I got a john deere gatoee forsale pm me or look in the ads

youngdude
09-04-2004, 09:35 PM
Those John Deere's make mulching so much faster!

BackAcreFarm
09-07-2004, 05:18 AM
Polaris Ranger 4X4 - a couple of years old.

Grassmechanic
09-07-2004, 07:55 AM
Club Car XRT. All aluminum frames. Automotive style brakes. Much better built than Gators (I had a Gator), and they cost less. I'd stick with a company that has been in the utility vehicle business for years (Club Car, E-Z Go, etc.) before purchasing one of the new players (JD, Kawasaki, etc.)

NelsonLandworks
09-08-2004, 07:13 AM
about how much is a club car xrt?

Grassmechanic
09-08-2004, 12:34 PM
Nelson - mine is a 2001 model. It was under 6 g's, about 800 less than the JD. Do a search for a Club Car dealer near you for a demo.

Dig-it Landscaping
09-08-2004, 07:35 PM
I did own a cub cadet 4x2 utility vehicle i spent more money in parts for it than all my other equipment i have. it had no more than 45 hours and was the biggest piece of junk i have owned. get an EZ-GO they are great and reliable.

NelsonLandworks
09-08-2004, 09:34 PM
Dig-it, what kind of parts did you have to replace on the cub cadet?

Im going to call an EZ-GO dealer tomarrow for prices and what not. thanks guys!

Dig-it Landscaping
09-08-2004, 09:38 PM
Shocks push rods all engine gaskets some of the steering arms in the front $850 i think

GreenMonster
09-08-2004, 09:43 PM
I'm very pleased with my 6X4 gator. I just brought it home tonite from an install (still on the trailer getting wet) where we hauled stone, block, pavers, caps, gravel, sand, etc. Lousy site to work on, the gator made it much more pleasant than humping everything by hand. :)

I've really worked it hard for 100 hours now, and no hiccups yet to speak of.... KOW.

Are you in Henniker, NH by chance?

NelsonLandworks
09-08-2004, 09:50 PM
what do you guys know about the Club Car Carryall 294? Is that the newer version of the XRT?

NelsonLandworks
09-08-2004, 09:52 PM
GreenMonster-Yes I am in Henniker, where abouts in NH are you from?

Dit-it, sorry to hear about the bad luck with the cub cadet, your story makes me want to get an EZ-GO or Club Car more and more!

GreenMonster
09-08-2004, 10:24 PM
GreenMonster-Yes I am in Henniker, where abouts in NH are you from?

from Epping. Live in Wakefield now.

NelsonLandworks
09-09-2004, 09:36 AM
I know where epping is, not sure about wakefield though.

How did you know I was from Henniker?

GreenMonster
09-09-2004, 07:04 PM
Wakefield is east of Winnipesaukee, bordering Maine.

I knew you from Henniker because that's what it says in your profile!

NelsonLandworks
09-09-2004, 07:54 PM
I knew you from Henniker because that's what it says in your profile!

wow i feel stupid! haha.

alright i know where your at now. Are you getting your gear out and dusting it off for leaf clean ups?

NelsonLandworks
09-09-2004, 09:12 PM
GM-How do you like the power of the 6x4? With a 20 hp motor does it feel a little pokey?

Nick911Racing
09-09-2004, 09:21 PM
At my work we have a JD 6x4 diesel and 4x2 gas. Both are great and are very reliable. They are however difficult to work on and ride rough since there is no rear suspension. The 6x4 is a tank and can handle real heavy loads and towing; the ground speed is a little slow though, but we have a spread out area. I personally also like the JD Gator EX which is four wheel drive and can go 35mph. The Kubota's are also nice, but I havent had much experience with them.

Just my two cents
Nick

GreenMonster
09-10-2004, 02:21 PM
Are you getting your gear out and dusting it off for leaf clean ups?

Well, the leaves seem to be falling early, so I have to start thinking about getting the leaf loader back on the trailer. We'll chop em up with gators until they're real bad.

As far as the gator, yeah, I guess it might be a little pokey, but I got it for work, so the pedal ain't usually to the metal anyhow. If I wanted speed, I would have gotten a 4 wheeler :)

I think Nick911 is talking about the new gator, which I think is more of a true 4x4. Pretty nice looking at first glance. I'm not sure that a 6x4 is available anymore :confused:

NelsonLandworks
09-10-2004, 05:03 PM
Im pretty sure the 6x4 is still available, not 100% posative though.

What is it with these damn salesmen? I've called two to talk about pricing, demos', so on and so forth and niether have called me back-(two different dealerships).

Greenmonster-they do seem to be falling early this year. Last year ended up being the same way after we got all that rain to knock them off the trees.

I'm still in the air with ways to charge for leaf cleanups. I hear people doing it by the bag, or mowing cost times 2, but most of our fall cleanup-customers from last year we ended up mowing for, so I'm thinking about just doing regular mowing price while sucking up the leaves, and just charging the same price as last year for a leaf cleanup knowing that i still took all the leaves off the lawn, what do you do?

GreenMonster
09-10-2004, 09:13 PM
Im pretty sure the 6x4 is still available, not 100% posative though.

What is it with these damn salesmen? I've called two to talk about pricing, demos', so on and so forth and niether have called me back-(two different dealerships).

Greenmonster-they do seem to be falling early this year. Last year ended up being the same way after we got all that rain to knock them off the trees.

I'm still in the air with ways to charge for leaf cleanups. I hear people doing it by the bag, or mowing cost times 2, but most of our fall cleanup-customers from last year we ended up mowing for, so I'm thinking about just doing regular mowing price while sucking up the leaves, and just charging the same price as last year for a leaf cleanup knowing that i still took all the leaves off the lawn, what do you do?

sorry your dealers suck. I have Osgood's over here and they've been pretty good. Great service from my salesman.

I don't have a lot of mowing accounts. I'm more into landscaping. My biggest account is the town, so that's contract. Otherwise, I charge hourly for clean-ups. I had a few one-time deals this spring, one was two guys a day and a half!

I know some guys do what you're talking about -- add a few hundred bucks at the end for the leaves. I'm sure you could get better advice from some more seasoned (no pun intended) lawn guys.

twbuild
09-10-2004, 10:04 PM
Those John Deere's make mulching so much faster!
Had a 4 wheel Deere used it for mulch till it caught on fire the guys ran it into the lake so the fire wouldn't spread. Still have the 6 wheel model but would not recomend either of them.

NelsonLandworks
09-10-2004, 10:14 PM
Had a 4 wheel Deere used it for mulch till it caught on fire the guys ran it into the lake so the fire wouldn't spread. Still have the 6 wheel model but would not recomend either of them.

holy crap! Sounds like an exciting day at work. I'm hoping I get a call from the Club Car salesman tomarrow, I'm going to give him another call because I want to try out one of thier Carryalls. Thanks for the info on the deere, tw.

NelsonLandworks
09-12-2004, 11:31 AM
there was a club car auction in Bow, NH yesterday. A freind of mine went and he said the carryalls were selling for $8,500, and that retail is $9,000 :dizzy:

Maybe i'll have to take out the john deere 4x2, 10hp but it's $6,500 so thats' kind of appealing

NelsonLandworks
09-13-2004, 09:52 PM
Well I finally got a call back from the salesman, 9,300 for the gas model and 11,000 for the diesel.

I've got the cub cadet in my garage right now, i'm testing it for today and tomarrow. I must say, for 2 wheel drive it'll go just about anywhere. I'm really thinking about buying it, i ran a few loads of bark around and it dumped with ease (no hydraulic lift-yet). I'll sleep on it for a few days.

JRSlawn
09-13-2004, 10:18 PM
still got my gator forsale. Its loaded every option 4x2 plow and cab

NelsonLandworks
09-14-2004, 07:40 AM
nah I'm all set, I'm going to buy new becuse I like the idea of a warranty, but thank you

Grassmechanic
09-14-2004, 07:54 AM
Well I finally got a call back from the salesman, 9,300 for the gas model and 11,000 for the diesel.

I've got the cub cadet in my garage right now, i'm testing it for today and tomarrow. I must say, for 2 wheel drive it'll go just about anywhere. I'm really thinking about buying it, i ran a few loads of bark around and it dumped with ease (no hydraulic lift-yet). I'll sleep on it for a few days.While you have that Carry-All in your garage, check out the construction of it, the material it's made of, suspension, brakes, etc. A Gator can't even come close.

BackAcreFarm
09-14-2004, 08:00 AM
Just curious ...
I compared and tested a lot of models before I bought the Polaris Ranger. It had more HP, higher load capacity, higher speed, seats three, etc. and was less expensive. It looks like you've decided on something else, do you see something I didn't see?

BMFD92
09-14-2004, 08:36 AM
Jacobsen came out with a new tractor/utilty vehicle that can have all various attachments on them. I think the machine would be perfect for any landscape project.

NelsonLandworks
09-14-2004, 08:18 PM
Just curious ...
I compared and tested a lot of models before I bought the Polaris Ranger. It had more HP, higher load capacity, higher speed, seats three, etc. and was less expensive. It looks like you've decided on something else, do you see something I didn't see?

Price I do believe. How much did you get your ranger for? The cub cadet that i may be buying is an 03 with 65 hours on it.

The price started at 6,500, went to 6,300, now it's at 5,995. I know the owner on a freindly basis, he said he'd toss the hydraulic bed lift kit for free because he knows i'll be using it a lot....the kit alone has a price tag around $500.

BackAcreFarm
09-15-2004, 08:07 AM
Sounds like a good price.

I bought mine new a couple of years ago. It's the 4X4 and was under $8000, I don't remember exactly how much right now. I borrowed a neighbor's Gator and discovered it wouldn't handle the hills on the farm. They didn't have a 4X4 at the time. I drove a Kawasaki Mule and looked at a few others.

Whatever you get, they are sure handy. I've hauled everything in mine from hay, straw, firewood, dirt, compost, rock, brush, tools, sprayers, lumber, deer, etc. I've used it to drag logs and stretch fence. Besides working on the farm it's been on trail rides and hunting in several states.

I don't know if the Cub allows box extensions, but I added them to mine and they really help. I also stretched a tarp over the roll cage for a top and added a radio with waterproof speakers.

You'll be amazed at how useful it is, and wonder what you did without it.

NelsonLandworks
09-15-2004, 03:21 PM
BackAcreFarm-Sounds like yours really comes in handy! I can't wait to get mine. What size motor is in yours?

BackAcreFarm
09-15-2004, 04:00 PM
It's 500 cc, 30 HP. They claim 40+ MPH, but you'd have to be crazy to drive one of them at 40MPH, it feels like 100.

It has a receiver so you can put a trailer ball on it. I put a 2" ball on it to match the trailer I haul it on. When you get there you unload, move the trailer to the Ranger and take it along behind the Ranger. If you look at what it hauls and 1500 lbs more on the trailer, it really does the job.

NelsonLandworks
09-17-2004, 07:52 AM
well here's an update-I went to the dealership yesterday to get a load app. and he said that he sold the one I was going to buy. I was kind of pissed until he said he's getting me a brand new one with no hours for the same price with the hydraulic bed lift installed. I was pretty damn happy to hear that seeing as how the other one had around 65 hours on it!

I'll hopfully be picking it up monday, we'll see how things go. I'll keep you guys posted.