PDA

View Full Version : JD 737 Cut Height

Peddler
09-04-2004, 01:56 AM
I just purchased a new 737. I love the mower but I've noticed the cut doesn't seem to be quite as low as my 757 on the 1.5" setting. I know they are basically the same mower, but it seems the 737 cuts close to a half inch higher on the same setting. I've noticed the chain bolts on the deck appear that I could let it down about a half inch. Is it that simple or would that somehow make my deck unlevel? Are there adjustments that need to be made to the lift springs or can I just simply loosen the bolts and let the deck down a little?

DLCS
09-04-2004, 09:54 AM
You can lower the deck a little with the chains but be sure you relevel the deck.

Peddler
09-04-2004, 11:31 AM
Thanks for the response mike. I've never leveled the deck on either machine. Can you describe the best way to level the 7iron? We have recently moved and I've misplaced the owners manual.

gl1200a
09-04-2004, 11:48 AM
You can get the owners manual online thru the John Deere website. Follow the website to the section on the 737 and one of the options will be to open the manual.

QualityLawnCare4u
09-08-2004, 03:08 AM
I just purchased a new 737. I love the mower but I've noticed the cut doesn't seem to be quite as low as my 757 on the 1.5" setting. I know they are basically the same mower, but it seems the 737 cuts close to a half inch higher on the same setting. I've noticed the chain bolts on the deck appear that I could let it down about a half inch. Is it that simple or would that somehow make my deck unlevel? Are there adjustments that need to be made to the lift springs or can I just simply loosen the bolts and let the deck down a little?

I have a 737 and if I put it on 1.5 there would not be much left to mow for a month! I thought mine was cutting to low so I checked the deck and its dead on the money. I will not go any lower than 2.75 and it cuts great. I will post the instuctions per manual if you like but I would check my deck first.I use a wooden 6 inch ruler to do mine with. BTW leveling the 737 aint as easy as the 717 JD.

Danny
Quality Lawn Care

QualityLawnCare4u
09-08-2004, 03:15 AM

BTW I forgot to add to check tire pressure. Mine were way overinflated which will effect deck height. Those 2 large springs (on each side) are for front to rear, do not adjust these unless neccessary. will effect cut quality greatly, I learned that the hard way on the 717.

Peddler
09-08-2004, 03:14 PM
Thanks for the reply Danny.
I was able to get the instructions for leveling the deck on the website as one of the previous responders mentioned. A couple steps were not all that clear to me however. The deck sits level as it is now, and the front is about 1/4" lower as the manual suggests. Couldn't I just let each of the four bolts down a half inch? You mentioned it was not as easy to level as your 717. Was there something in particular that made it more difficult to level? I live in SC and most of the lawns are centipede or bermuda so the 1.5" cut height around here is pretty common. The mower cuts so level now that I hate to tinker with it much, but I need it to cut a little lower.

QualityLawnCare4u
09-09-2004, 12:29 AM
Thanks for the reply Danny.
I was able to get the instructions for leveling the deck on the website as one of the previous responders mentioned. A couple steps were not all that clear to me however. The deck sits level as it is now, and the front is about 1/4" lower as the manual suggests. Couldn't I just let each of the four bolts down a half inch? You mentioned it was not as easy to level as your 717. Was there something in particular that made it more difficult to level? I live in SC and most of the lawns are centipede or bermuda so the 1.5" cut height around here is pretty common. The mower cuts so level now that I hate to tinker with it much, but I need it to cut a little lower.

Hey Peddler, I forget what was more difficult on the 737m when I read the manual I made a comment to myself :this is not going to be as easy as 717: will have to look back and see. I have done the 717 several times have not done the 737 yet. I always study manual when get new equipment to familize myself with it. Have you measured your blades side to side yet? Set your dial on 3 and measure from blade tip to floor and see how close it is. If its a little to high you could drop chains a tad but I would NOT do it unless its over .25 inches off.

Danny
Quality Lawn Care

Peddler
09-09-2004, 12:57 PM
I measured the heighth at the 3 inch setting the blades are actually 3.5" from the floor. Side to side measurements are exactly the same.

QualityLawnCare4u
09-09-2004, 02:11 PM
I measured the heighth at the 3 inch setting the blades are actually 3.5" from the floor. Side to side measurements are exactly the same.

If its .5 inches off that is a little to much. Adjust it down close to 3 inches and be sure you have equal tension on both chains on each side. Dot want one loose and the other tight. I guess I got lucky, mine was set perfect.

Danny

Quality Lawn Care