PDA

View Full Version : Plastic gas can expansion

CoastalEmpire
09-04-2004, 07:11 AM
I wonder when my partially-full red plastic gas can swells to double size in high heat time and time again, if this is affecting the quality/chemistry of the gas.
Also, if the gas (vapors) has the power to expand the can like that, is it causing that much pressure/damage to my other equipment with plastic gas cans? Think about all the plastic/rubber fuel lines on the equipment.
But, I guess not cause everythings been fine up to this point.

ElephantNest
09-04-2004, 07:53 AM
I leave the rear vent open on my cans when in the heat.

rtyus
09-04-2004, 07:58 AM
That's one thing I hate about the new cans that don't have the vents on them. It's always a good idea to try to keep fuel cans in the shade as much as possible. If they're swelling to double size that is very dangerous. They can explode.

Greenservice
09-04-2004, 10:19 AM
Anybody know where you can still buy the old style cans with vents? Places like Lowes and Walmart around here only have the ventless kind. Even small hardware stores only have them now.

BryPaulD
09-04-2004, 01:16 PM
drill a small hole in it?

Forest
09-04-2004, 01:17 PM
I really wouldn't worry about your equipment because your gas tanks are all vented, or at least should be. Expansion will have no effect on your carbs or gas lines either. But yes, you should keep the cans in shade if possible, and open vents if they have them.

fixer67
09-04-2004, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by Greenservice
Anybody know where you can still buy the old style cans with vents? Places like Lowes and Walmart around here only have the ventless kind. Even small hardware stores only have them now.

You can thank OASH and EPA for this one. The EPA says that they let too much gas out in to the air. OASH says they are a safety hazzard. I seen a 5 gallon plastic can split open and spray gas all over the place. Good thing there was nothing to set it off or the truck would have been toast.