PDA

View Full Version : Demoed FErris 3000 ZX

JLH
09-04-2004, 03:14 PM
Yesterday local Ferris Dealer and Distributor Rep brought Demo 3000ZX to my property for demo.

Upon their arrival I was using my Father's Scag Turf Tiger which was in the process of jarring and shaking me like a bucking bronc.

I was considering purchasing a new turf tiger 61" 27 hp kohler, but wanted to try the Ferris with Independent susp. (IS)

I was amazed at the difference in the ride, I could run the Ferris full forward speed, whereas with the scag I had to run much slower and sit taller and try to brace myself for the ruff ride.

There are several thngs I like better about the scag mowers,

driveshaft to deck
outside spindles easier to access
deck feels more solid
100% confidence in dealer and service after sale, I'm related

Ferris 300 ZX

The ride was superior without question
foot platform is more comfortable
seemd to run quieter with the 27hp verses 25hp on scag
outside spindles not as accessable as scag

How can I decide between the two models? It's hard for me to bring myself to buying the scag knowing how good the Ferris rode.

Would the scag suspinsion seat make the ride equal to the Ferris?

Undecided, please offer your advice fron experience.

Thanks

zpoore
09-04-2004, 05:46 PM
you should demo the new turf tiger and go from there

Likestomow
09-04-2004, 06:44 PM
RIDING THE IRON CHARIOT

Any mower that uses low-profile tires will shake you quite soundly as you mow. A suspension seat will help... some. I suggest you demo a Dixie Chopper and a Wright Stander.

The Dixie uses ATV tires which act as shock absorbers. The Stander allows you to stand and bend your knees to absorb the jarring with your leg muscles. I myself find standing to be less tiring than sitting.

WREBELMACHINE
09-04-2004, 07:38 PM
Yes a suspension seat will help a lot! There is some truth to the dixie tires but the ride is still going to be choppeier than the machines with a full suspension seat.

barnard
09-04-2004, 10:23 PM
I bought the Ferris for the ride. I have the IS 3000 with rear independant and front pivoting axle It actually rides smoother than the front coil over model. I drove both the same day one after another on the same ground. As far as the drive shaft. In my opinion this is not an advantage. The deck still has a belt . The ferris has one belt only so actually has less moving parts and no drive shaft splines to wear or u-joints to replace also the belt doesn't require lurication as the drive shaft does. I previously had a Kubota ZD-21 It has a shaft and was a pain to grease. Just my 2 cents.

youngdude
09-04-2004, 10:31 PM
In a couple of year the IS goes out on those Ferris and will end up costing you around 1200 dollars to replace it. Keep that in mind when you purcahse the ZRT.

Envy Lawn Service
09-05-2004, 02:51 AM
Originally posted by youngdude
In a couple of year the IS goes out on those Ferris and will end up costing you around 1200 dollars to replace it. Keep that in mind when you purcahse the ZRT.
First I've heard of that...

Richard Martin
09-05-2004, 05:54 AM
Originally posted by Envy Lawn Service

There was one other report here at Lawnsite earlier this year about the springs sagging and that they needed to be replaced.

John Gamba
09-05-2004, 06:38 AM
Originally posted by Envy Lawn Service

Just like a car.
John

Oh envy
Take a look at the EGDE cutting deck on the L130 deere. Its 17100 Fpm Blade speed. Not bad for a Lawn tractor.

JLH
09-05-2004, 07:42 AM
Thanks for the replies!

JLH

all ferris
09-05-2004, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by youngdude

I've had my Ferris procut z (essentialy the 3000) for 4 years and have no suspension problems at all. The ride is far supperior to anything else on the market. I just bought a ferris 4000 72" and it is great.

HOMER
09-05-2004, 10:16 AM
I've used a Ferris before, an older one and I can't remember the model #............this one only had the pivoting frt axle but the difference it made was unbelievable. Just having the frt end float over the bumps allowed me to mow faster and I was more comfortable the entire time. It would be nice to see other machines at least go to a floating front axle.

barnard
09-05-2004, 10:19 AM
As too the sagging springs. I don't know where that came from , as the spring preload. which determines ride heighth is easily adjustable.It can be adjusted to riders of different weights. I have decreased the pre-load on mine for a softer ride. There are six lube points on each side. If these are kept properly lubed, They should not wear out.

Lawn Tek
09-05-2004, 11:32 AM
And a blown disc in your back cost ? Your career !

I'm demoing Ferris next week .

If you mow large tracks of turf , every bump drives right through
your spine , on a non suspended model .

JLH
09-06-2004, 04:26 PM
Would New Turf Tiger with suspinsion seat ride as good as Ferris with (IS)?