PDA

View Full Version : 32" Scag or Snapper???

ofishil
09-04-2004, 02:58 PM
i just picked up a new yard that will pretty much pay for a new mower. There are 2 dealers in my area within reasonable distance. First one I have heard nothing but bad things about. (overpriced, take forever to fix, try not to honor warrenty and misc.) I asked one guy in there how hard is it to change the height and he tried to figure it out then just went in the back and never came out. (An idiot.) They dont have mowers there that I want to look at. 2nd dealer all i have heard of is good things. (fast service, ect...)

The first dealer has Toro, Exmark, Grasshopper

The second dealer has John Deere, Snapper, Scag

So i have chosen the second dealer to deal with... So that leaves me with John Deere, Snapper, Scag.

John Deere is way to expensive.
Snapper is $2700 for 32" hydrostatic http://www.snapperpro.com/comm_32_walkbehind_hydro.php
Scag is $???

I got the prices off the internet (dealer is closed for holiday)

I like my snapper push mower alot and have never tried a scag. But the website says easy to change height which is important to me.

So which one would you choose?

grass_cuttin_fool
09-04-2004, 06:30 PM
The scag has 1/4 spacers on top and below the spindles,you have to take the blades off and move the spacers to adjust the height. Not to bad to adjust but not something that you are going to want to do on every yard. That is how you adjust the fixed deck design

FoxDen
09-05-2004, 11:37 PM
The nice thing about Scag is that they are simple. Very easy to do any maint. on them. I sharpen the blades every week and it is a 10 min job per mower. (I have 4 Scags). They are definately worth a look. I would recommend the STHM model. Works well on hills and has a very nice cut. It is also the easiest for maintenance. The turf tigers have a VERY easy method of changing the height of the deck. I guess I might be biased though. But not much choice. My business is in Mayville WI where Scag's are made.

BladesAway
09-05-2004, 11:57 PM
I've got the Snapper Pro 36" and the deck height adjusts just like Grass Cutten Fool said the Scag does spacers on front wheel spindles and it also has blade spacers. I have had nothing go wrong with it at all. Oil changes and blades are all I've done to it. Mine has the t-bar handles and I would definitely suggest getting one with that over the pistol grip (smash your hands against a fence a couple of times and you'll know why). Nothing but good things to say here I'd say either or it just depends on what color you really want to get. I don't have a preference but for the money snapper makes a pretty well built machine.

sethsodsquad
09-06-2004, 05:05 PM
I'd go for the Scag - heard better things from it. The Snapper 32" seems weird. I have seen the exact same mower with at least 2 other manufacturer's names on it.

If you can though, check out the Gravely 32". It was the one I was most interested in when searching for a 32". (I didn't get one because I had no way to transport it very well.)

The Gravely 32" has a fixed deck, gear drive transmission, but the fixed deck seems to have a really easy way to change the cutting height - similar to floating decks.

Here's the link: http://www.gravely.com/PProG/

If I was going to get a 32" gear drive w/ fixed deck, I'd definitely get the Gravely Pro G.

nriddle77
09-06-2004, 11:36 PM
I have the Snapper 32" hydro mower. I bought it in April, and paid $2500. It's very simple to adjust the mowing height. I am very pleased with this mower so far. :blob3: