PDA

View Full Version : How do you restring a trimmer??

BryPaulD
09-04-2004, 05:18 PM
My buddy wants to know. :D *looks up and whistles*

zpoore
09-04-2004, 05:24 PM
you clip about a 12' piece and make it like a U with the head in the middle and pinch the line as close as you can to the head and make sure they are side by side and wrap them around
->clockwise<- im pretty sure it clockwise sorry best i could tell how its a lot easier in person

Likestomow
09-04-2004, 05:24 PM
BryPaulD - find a dealer for your brand and go see him. Someone there will be happy to show you how to do this. It would be hard to describe the process in writing as opposed to visually watching it done.

zpoore
09-04-2004, 05:29 PM
make sure they are side by side make sure the line is side by side

BryPaulD
09-04-2004, 05:29 PM
Thank you. Clockwise sounds right. I know you have to turn the head clockwise to tighten it to the shaft. Opposite threaded kind of a deal.

65hoss
09-04-2004, 05:30 PM
Impossible to say, since you didn't say what type of trimmer.

zpoore
09-04-2004, 05:31 PM
BryPaulD - find a dealer for your brand and go see him. Someone there will be happy to show you how to do this. It would be hard to describe the process in writing as opposed to visually watching it done. i agree with him if it doesnt work and your welcome

BryPaulD
09-04-2004, 05:40 PM
oh yeah, it's an old echo srm140da. I picked it up at a garage sale a couple summer's ago for $3.00. I tried to get it running and gas leaked all over, so I got sick of messing with it a bought a new one, but now I just can't stop messing with it.

zpoore
09-04-2004, 05:46 PM
i mow with my sisters boyfriend and he has an echo srm 210 and im pretty sure you have to wind it clockwise

BryPaulD
09-04-2004, 05:49 PM
I'll try it. what's the worst that could happen?? String fly out and cut me all up??

zpoore
09-04-2004, 05:53 PM
lol no but the only diff. i know of is the line comes out at a diff. length between clockwise and counterclockwise. anybody feel free to correct me if im wrong though.

Green Care
09-04-2004, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by BryPaulD
My buddy wants to know. :D *looks up and whistles*

Tell him to buy a rapid loader and not have that problem again.

BryPaulD
09-04-2004, 05:59 PM
I have that on my new trimmer. I don't know what to think about it?? It is kind of a pain to turn off the machine and wait for the head to stop spinning, then replace the strings, then start it back up.

BryPaulD
09-04-2004, 06:00 PM
I mean my buddy does. :D

Olylawnboy
09-04-2004, 09:07 PM
So BryPaulD, did you get a new Echo? they have the "rapid loader" right? I don't have one but they have to be a pain in that respect (replacing the line) . My Echo dealer (a cantankerous old fart, I might add, and I'm 50) told me they were for the homeowner market as they don't use the machine much. Makes sence. And for those of us that buy trimmers from Home Depot and such, they get to sell us a new bump head for another 20 bucks as we quickly find out the rapid loader is a pain. Marketing wienie's, got to love em :)......

BryPaulD
09-04-2004, 09:45 PM
yes, I did buy an echo with rapid loader. My wife somehow talked me into the cheaper of the two echo's the Depot had. I of course wanted the straight shaft bump, and ended up with the curved shaft rapid load. Man I wish I had that straight shaft. I'm 6 ft. tall and that curved shaft is right at my toes, and to turn off the machine and wait for the head to stop spinning, grab 2 strings out of pocket, pull 2 junkers out of the head and plug the new 2 in (hoping the lil grabber thingy's aren't stuck open, and then restart the machine. VS. bump & go....................bump & go.

Green Care
09-04-2004, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by BryPaulD
I have that on my new trimmer. I don't know what to think about it?? It is kind of a pain to turn off the machine and wait for the head to stop spinning, then replace the strings, then start it back up.

I run 155 line in my redmax using the rapid loader it take some time too wear out the line you should be able to change without shuttin it off.

Olylawnboy
09-04-2004, 10:35 PM
Even if you've used it for a litttle while, take it back and trade up. They'll do it. And be easy on the wife, "I told you so" doesn't sit so well with the other half some times :)

printer88
09-04-2004, 10:53 PM
I bought a Husky 326dx and the line is super easy to load.The best I have ever used.....the heads are really nice.The trimmer itself aint bad either.As Green Care said if you use the fixed line heads the heavy duty line is a must.

Soupy
09-05-2004, 01:15 AM
The echo I have wind clock wise. I use a lot more then 12 ft of string in mine. Actually I have the spool mounted at the end of my trailer and I grab the line and walk to the front of the truck then go back and cut it. Comes out perfect for me, I use .095

BryPaulD
09-05-2004, 02:02 PM
I still have the receipt for it and it's only 2 months old. It has some grass debris on it. You think the depot would exchange it?? What would be a good reason? Aahh the other half, she still doesn't know about my redmax 7001 purchase. :D I did sell my pneumatic floor nailer though to compensate the spend. payup

FoxDen
09-05-2004, 11:27 PM
Take it back and purchase a Stihl trimmer with a 25-2 auto-cut head on it. I promise you will not be sorry. I have 5 of them. (I also hace 1 Echo trimmer that sits in the shop and collects dust. I would feel guilty selling it for three bucks)!!

BryPaulD
09-06-2004, 04:34 PM
still, do you think Depot will exchange this used unit??