PDA

View Full Version : aerating is a waste of time

bobbygedd
09-04-2004, 06:26 PM
this is what a landscaper, who has been in the business for 22 yrs full time said to me. he also says slice seeding is a waste of time. he claims the best way to seed it to dethatch, suck it up, and put the seed out with a rotary spreader. anyone agree with any of this?

GLADULANDSCPING
09-04-2004, 06:32 PM
slice seeding works great if.................the customer waters, and keeps up with the proper care aftyer u leave!!!

olderthandirt
09-04-2004, 06:39 PM
No, don't agree! if slice seeders did not work they would not be on the market and cost a small fortune. Tell your landscaper thats why he's working for you and not in business on his own anymore.

Mac

khutch
09-04-2004, 06:41 PM
I think that at about $75 per hour, aeration is a GREAT thing.
I am also convinced that it improves almost all kinds of turf health when done correctly and at the right time in the growing season, i.e.bad time right now to aerate Bermuda and Zoysia lawns from Atlanta north.
I have never seen any evidence to the contrary.

Five Diamond Lawns
09-04-2004, 06:55 PM
I don't know about your side of the country but in the NW aeration is a necessity. With all the rain and moss, soil compaction is a lawn killer. Also, thatch build-up is a serious problem which is controlled by aeration.
I think your friend is pulling your leg or has been smoking something:blob3:

Kelly's Landscaping
09-04-2004, 07:08 PM
I have so many irrigation systems on my lawns probably more then 60 of them have them. I have to pass on that as I would not want to be replacing all the sprinkler heads we would destroy. Does aeration work I honestly could not tell you iv seen it done I just have never seen any improvement on any of the lawns that had it done. That said of the nearly 200 accounts that I do work for this season not one has even asked for that service so I think I am going to pass on that.

On to your next item slit seeding I use bought and own a lesco renovator and while it is a bear to use it does work and it has great results. I use it for any and all touch up work

dlandscaping
09-04-2004, 07:34 PM
Aeration has great results around here. There are city lawns around here, some get no sun at all. This spring I aerated a few of them and seeded. The grass grew where there was never any grass. It stayed alive the whole season. This fall I'll be aerating and overseeding them again to get them really thick. IMO aeration is a good money maker and it makes the customers happy that they will have a thick lawn.

Tony Clifton
09-04-2004, 07:56 PM
I think that aeration is a necessity as well. Maybe not every year but at least every 2 years. Heck, the compaction caused by our mowers is reason enough to do it. As far as irrigation system are concerned 100% of our clients have them. We either have them mark their heads or we do it for them. Just be sure to build it into the price, it can be time consuming.

Critical Care
09-04-2004, 08:31 PM
It's amazing, Kelly's Landscaping, that none of your 200 clients ask for aeration. I have a lot fewer clients myself but all have their places aerated annually, and dethatched every two or three years. If you flag where the irrigation heads are you should be able to avoid them... that is unless if at the time your three sheets to the wind.

fga
09-04-2004, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by bobbygedd
dethatch, suck it up, and put the seed out with a rotary spreader. anyone agree with any of this? that's the way i've been doing it for 14 years... and peat moss also.
not saying its better then aerating, cuz i've never done it. your friend just sucks it up? we run a rake through the property first, then suck it up..... by you know those city sized properties.

MJB
09-04-2004, 08:57 PM
We aerate twice a year up here and have great results. We also mulch all our lawns except early spring and fall cleanup. I use to thatch every yr boy I don't miss it at all, and my customers once educated about aerating and then seeing the results are saying the lawns have never looked this good during the heat we had over the summer. Also when you pull out plugs you are letting in more oxygen, and nutrients, therefore the soil microbes thrive and breakdown the nutrients better the results are less fertilizer, and a healthy lawn. At least that what works up here in the NW.

txlawnking
09-04-2004, 09:21 PM
Aeration is needed here, too. St. Augustine is a serrious thatch builder.. I don't have many people ask for it, But I've sold a few jobs..

mtdman
09-04-2004, 09:34 PM
I think that dethatching and aeration are two different animals. Dethatching is very invasive, and is meant to get the thatch and dead grass outta the lawn. Aeration's main goal is improvement of soil conditions by allowing a cycling of organic matter, water, fertilizer, etc to reach into the soil and to bring the soil to the top of the lawn to help control thatch and dead grass buildup. Personally, I've done both for a while, and I think aeration is far better. You get far less damage to the lawn itself, and appearance, with aeration. It's less time consuming, and it is idea for seeding in the fall. I've been pushing aeration and steering people away from dethatching/power raking for the past year, except in extreme conditions.

Just my 2 cents.

Bull
09-05-2004, 12:00 AM
I am assuming what you are calling areation we refer to as core plugging. The device used around here for areation in my opinion is not worth the time and effort however core plugging is very beneficial.

Soupy
09-05-2004, 01:08 AM
Bull, It is refered to by most as Core Aeration. I agree that spike Aeration doesn't help.

Kelly, I bet if you market Aeration to your 200 clients that you would sell quit a few. We use a tow behind for the big areas, these could be bought for as little as $500 for a cheapy that works good but won't last as long as the heavy built ones that gor for around a grand. We also use a Ryan walk behind for tight areas, these are more expencive, but I got lucky and a friend from TGCL sold me a used one for practically nothing.

Kelly's Landscaping
09-05-2004, 01:20 AM
My partner would like me to do that soupy but I don't really want to get into that its hard enough getting all the work done. Kind of like dethatching I hate it so much I don't offer it I do a full spring and fall clean up and I love the jrco tine rack but its not dethatching I do know the difference and don't want to ever go through that again. I reached the point this season where I can cherry pick my jobs and let the ones I don't want to do go I probably have passed on 30-40 k this season mostly in planting work but I think you got to do what you feel comfortable with. I don't trust my men to not hit the sprinklers and I honestly cannot find all the heads on my bigger lawns some have 9 zones of 3-8 heads each. I plan on a large bank loan this spring as I want to triple my lawn accounts and get much heavier in to lawn cuts and fertilization then I already am next season.

big tim afm
09-05-2004, 09:11 PM
oh is that what it is now....r.tessman

KenH
09-05-2004, 09:15 PM
IMO, core aeration is the single most important service you can provide to an established lawn.

Five Diamond Lawns
09-05-2004, 09:39 PM
Aeration or core aeration is differently the number one annual service you can provide to your customers.

But, I think your giving dethatching a bad rap :dizzy:

If done right its not difficult or time consuming. My goal in spring and fall is to do one dethatching job a day.Standard lawn takes 2 hours for 2 people and I get $180 TO $225 a lawn.

Here's what we do:
1- Run dethatcher over lawn in 2 different directions
2- While dethatcher goes to the next lawn( side or back ) the second person uses the blower to blow the thatch to the middle.
3- Take thatching rake and quickly make a row out of the thatch
4- Place a tarp next to row and rake thatch onto the tarp. move tarp down the row until all the thatch is raked onto tarp.
5- Drag tarp to truck and load keeping thatch in tarp for easy dumping
6- Mow lawn on high setting to get up any remaining thatch.
7- have worker go to next lawn as the thatching person will probably just be finishing and start above procedure
:cool2: :cool2:

It works great! Takes little time and very little raking :D

odin
09-05-2004, 09:47 PM
Areation is a necessity on bluegrass lawns...one thing a lot of people don't take into consideration is the turf needs 20 holes pulled a square foot .Many aerators only pull 9 or 10 a square foot .

With many aerators to do the aeration right it needs two passes over the lawn

Mlc gmc03
09-05-2004, 11:31 PM
it is a must in our area with the real thick clay it helps loosen the soil and the roots get deaper which helps to create a more healthy turf, the deaper your roots can get down the stronger your turf will be

JBird
09-06-2004, 12:37 AM
We core plug all of our athletic fields, which are the majority of our contracts. As soon as we get some rain here we have 285,000 sg. ft. to core plug, seed and fert.
We always core plug in two directions. It makes a world of difference.

carolinacutter
09-06-2004, 09:35 PM
I'm a newbie, to this site but not the bussiness. Core aerated for years with excellent results. Some customers don't expect the mess though.

greenworkslawncare
09-06-2004, 09:47 PM
this is what a landscaper, who has been in the business for 22 yrs full time said to me. he also says slice seeding is a waste of time. he claims the best way to seed it to dethatch, suck it up, and put the seed out with a rotary spreader. anyone agree with any of this?
Aerating helps let water and nutrients get down in the lawn where it is needed. If it gets real dry here in Central Arkansas the tines won't penetrate into the dirt. Then I guess you could say it would be a waste of time. However, you might want to do it in the early spring. John

mbricker
09-06-2004, 11:47 PM
I've got a theory that a lawn with a healthy earthworm population will never need aeration. I also think the majority of lawns that are regularly treated for grubs and other pests lose their earthworms. These ideas come from just some observations of my own lawn and a few customers lawns, who are unwilling to pay for any kind of grub/insect treatment. The majority of those lawns appear to soak up a rainfall a lot better than some of the lawns receiving intensive treatment.

anybody have any ideas on this?