PDA

View Full Version : Do I really Need a JRCO Leaf Plow?

Fareway Lawncare
09-04-2004, 06:44 PM
Need a Plow Just to Push the occasional Pile onto a Tarp or down a drive to Truck....I can Unhitch this in 5 seconds w/a pin...

JRCO Plow seems Overkill & Won't fit through Gates.....Was going to Order One....But this Should Work Just as Well ?!?!?!

Kelly's Landscaping
09-04-2004, 06:59 PM
Build some wings on it angled forward or the leaves will just flow right out the sides. Also you could use some sort of rake or tines on the bottom as the leaves will go right under that and clog up under the deck. As for the location of the wheels that may also cause some problems when they find them selves in the middle of a heavy pile and donít want to turn. I think the plow is worth every cent and it is by far the best fall time investment we make it is with out a doubt the biggest time saver we use. And that is saying a lot when you consider a 60-inch lazer with trac vac all the large push blowers and all the back packs and a 20 hp 12-inch pipe giant vac leave vacuum. I still say the plow, dollar for dollar is the best investment.

Fareway Lawncare
09-04-2004, 07:23 PM
Don't actually Have to Push alot of Piles...Most are Tarp & Pulls from Backyards or Staight Blow w/Push Blowers & BP's to truck in the fronts....

Push Only On a Tarp or Occasioanlly Down a Drive If Really Heavy....Piles Tend to stay Together when they're Big....We Occasionally Push w/just the Walks...

Do those Tines on the JRCO pick up Embedded Leaves on Turf Well...Do they Break Off. ?

Kelly's Landscaping
09-04-2004, 07:29 PM
The plow is aluminum but the tines are stainless steel they don't break off to easy in fact after 2 seasons of hell on my plow we have not had one break off yet.

Kelly's Landscaping
09-04-2004, 07:45 PM
Umm depending on the wheel settings you can get the tines rather close to the ground if you want. We don't make giant piles any more then figure out what to do with them. When we hit a heavy leave clean up its more of a military operation and its very efficient say I have a 5 man crew we will typically start in the back yard 3 on back packs and 2 on big blowers. We will work out the perimeter immediately and start moving the leaves in the direction we wish to go. As you know when the piles start to build up the movement tends to bog down. Thatís where the leaf plow comes in someone and it can be any one but usually a backpack guy will grab the lazer with the plow. And he will start moving the pile where itís deepest out to either the road or woods depending on where its going you can move a large chunk very quickly. You do not get finish quality results but you don't need them either your other men keep moving the line of leaves and you keep hitting the worst parts of the pile. So its sort of like blitzkrieg combined arms theory and you get through a lawn real fast this way I look at the plow as tank support for the artillery {the big blowers} and the infantry {the back packs} when every one knows their job its a hell of a sight to see and we often get compliments on our work as most don't take it to this level.

Last season I had a few lawns that produced 200 cubic plus yards of leaves one had nearly 400 cubic yards. With my system including vacuuming the leaves none of these jobs took more then about 4 hours when we had a full crew.

sbvfd592
09-04-2004, 07:59 PM
i dont wana to be rude but that thing looks like it will be more of a headache rather then help just invest in the plow that is a bhb pos

mdb landscaping
09-04-2004, 08:11 PM
your plow will work, but i will say the jrco leaf plow is a great investment. i swear by those things. we have two of them mounted on walkbehinds and we are mounting another one on a rider this fall. the tines ride real close to the ground and havent had one break yet. your plywood deal should work, but like i said its not gonna work as well as the jrco. we have all the mounts for the dethatchers in the spring, so why build one when you already have a mount. maybe buy two or three tine rakes, and take the poles off and somehow mount the tines to the bottom of your plywood.

redoak77
09-04-2004, 09:00 PM
wow, this is a little off topic but is that ur shop? Because i do woodworking too and that Felder is onw hell of a machine?

DLCS
09-04-2004, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by redoak77
wow, this is a little off topic but is that ur shop? Because i do woodworking too and that Felder is onw hell of a machine?

Yeh, tell us about that table saw? Looks like one hell of a machine.

Fareway Lawncare
09-04-2004, 09:29 PM
Can your run the tines Against the Turf to loosen embedded debris or will they bend & Snap ? Our leaves often get Stuck in if we get an Early Snowfall....

Table Saw...Planer...Shaper... 3 motors 4.0 HP, 3 phase...

& Of Course the Dust Collector....