PDA

View Full Version : I have a problem.

ShawnD
09-04-2004, 07:16 PM
I am trying to get a Orbit rain sensor to work with a Toro Greenkeeper control box. The control box says not to water when it is dry out and water when it rains. The button on top of the Orbit rain sensor allows it to water when it is pushed down. It does not water when it is up. This is totally back wards.

Any ideas?

greenworldh20
09-04-2004, 11:00 PM
spend $15 on a toro rain switch and move on to the next job...too much time spent figuring this one out...install the toro rain switch and move on.

just my .02

brian

dbielawski
09-05-2004, 08:46 AM
There are 3 wires leading from the sensor. Make sure you do not have a wire from the Normally Open ('NO') wire connected to the sensor.

koster_irrigation
09-05-2004, 10:25 AM
^ do what this guy said..

ShawnD
09-05-2004, 10:40 PM
Well, there are 3 wires. Silver and gold in clear plastic and a blue wire. I have connected the silver and gold. I am supposed to use the blue wire?

jerryrwm
09-06-2004, 12:45 AM
I am trying to get a Orbit rain sensor to work with a Toro Greenkeeper control box. The control box says not to water when it is dry out and water when it rains. The button on top of the Orbit rain sensor allows it to water when it is pushed down. It does not water when it is up. This is totally back wards.

Any ideas?

Did you wet the sensor to test it? If you did then the fiber wafers have absorbed the moisture, expanded, and split the circuit like it is supposed to do. This will cause the button to be up. As it dries out, or when you push the button in, it re-establishes the circuit and allows watering. Let it dry out or make the setting bigger - say 1" iinstead of 1/8" That should let it work.

Jerry

MikeK
09-06-2004, 10:06 AM
I would recommend the Irritrol Wireless rain sensor. It takes 5- 7 minutes to install and there are no wires to snake through ceilings, Ect.
Make sure the little pin swithc for Sensor in the greenkeeper is moved to the on Position.
Connect yellow and white to sensor input, connect the 2 reds to 24 Volt AC, screw the reciever box onto the wall and clip the sensor onto the gutter .

dbielawski
09-06-2004, 12:26 PM
Use the clear coated wires.

dbielawski
09-06-2004, 12:28 PM
Did you wet the sensor to test it? If you did then the fiber wafers have absorbed the moisture, expanded, and split the circuit like it is supposed to do. This will cause the button to be up. As it dries out, or when you push the button in, it re-establishes the circuit and allows watering. Let it dry out or make the setting bigger - say 1" iinstead of 1/8" That should let it work.

Jerry

Wet absorbant discs in the sensor will cause the button on the top to be DOWN, not up. Jerry has it backwards.

jerryrwm
09-06-2004, 01:02 PM
Wet absorbant discs in the sensor will cause the button on the top to be DOWN, not up. Jerry has it backwards.

From the Orbit site showing how to test the unit.

http://www.orbitonline.com/files/manuals/57098english.pdf

Operation Check to Verify Correct Wiring Turn on one zone of the sprinkler system that is visible while you are in reach of the rain Sensor. Manually depress the spindle at the top of the rain sensor until you hear the switch "click" off. The sprinkler zone should stop instantly. If it does not, check
wiring for correct installation.

So, that would seem to me that the button will be "UP" when the wafers are full.

Jerry

ShawnD
09-06-2004, 02:34 PM
When I poor water on the unit to test it out, the disc's become filled with water and the button push down to complete the circuit. Once this happened, the control panel said it is OK to water when it should have said no. Once it drys, the button goes up and the unit says not to water.

D Felix
09-06-2004, 10:58 PM
I'm no irrigation guy, but it sounds like a simple swapping of wires should fix it???

If not, I'll shut up and let the more knowledgable people here correct me...........:D

Dan

dbielawski
09-07-2004, 12:42 PM
From the Orbit site showing how to test the unit.

http://www.orbitonline.com/files/manuals/57098english.pdf

Operation Check to Verify Correct Wiring Turn on one zone of the sprinkler system that is visible while you are in reach of the rain Sensor. Manually depress the spindle at the top of the rain sensor until you hear the switch "click" off. The sprinkler zone should stop instantly. If it does not, check
wiring for correct installation.

So, that would seem to me that the button will be "UP" when the wafers are full.

Jerry

Jerry...I know this is nit-picking, but...pushing the top spindle down shuts the system off...hence when the discs are wet the system shuts off and the spindle is down. If you take apart a mini clik, Rain Bird RainStop or other similar rain sensor you'll see there is a platform on which the discs sit. When they expand they press down on the platform and the top spindle goes down.

ShawnD
09-08-2004, 10:13 PM
I am still at a complete loss. I have switched the wire but everyone knows that does no good. It is raining hard today and it wants to water the lawn.

Maybe the wiring inside is wrong?

dbielawski
09-09-2004, 08:42 AM
I think there is there a sensor bypass switch inside the controller. Check it.